ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Media Center>Finally a movie I've marked my calendar for
Nzoner 07:15 AM 05-18-2018

[Reply]
patteeu 01:38 PM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I went to the Sprint Center last year but that was to take my girls to see 21 Pilots. It was actually a pretty decent show, even if it's not my style of music.
They aren’t really in my wheelhouse either, but I was surprised by how much I liked their album when I heard it a while back. (Their breakthrough album if they have more than one).
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:49 PM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
They aren’t really in my wheelhouse either, but I was surprised by how much I liked their album when I heard it a while back. (Their breakthrough album if they have more than one).
They're very talented for sure and the concert was very well done. Good show definitely.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:48 PM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
I saw them live once,1979 they opened for KISS. :-)
Lordy what a show that must've been, I'm jelly

Originally Posted by htismaqe:
JP isn't like seeing Kiss or Def Leppard. Those guys suck live. Priest is still amazing despite their age.
I can assure you, Sir, that KISS did not USED to suck live... here is a quick tale of two different shows

Year before last I caught them at the state fair, and yes Paul's voice was completely shot, Gene looked like a tub of goo squeezed into a girdle, Thayer and the drummer in Ace and Peter makeup was such a turnoff... and on top of that it was like they decided to build a show around all of my LEAST favorite songs, it was my 5th and last time seeing them

But I also caught the original 96 reunion in St Louis, and it. fucking. ROCKED.

IIRC it was the 7th show of that tour, so they were primed, still excited and fresh but had done just enough prior shows to work the kinks out... we were first row risers almost eye level with Ace, it was simply amazing

Paul could still pull off all the screams, Ace was spot on, Criss' arms were ripped, Gene wasn't a fat fuck... they sounded and looked like vintage KISS, to this day it's still my favorite concert of all time
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:12 PM 02-26-2019
Back to Queen real quick, another thing I found interesting from Days of Our Lives doc is that Michael Jackson had to pressure them into releasing Another One Bites the Dust as a single... a song that almost didn't even MAKE IT ON THE RECORD

What a great ear MJ had, and it makes perfect sense for him... that bass line, the funky guitars, the lyrics, it sounds like a Michael Jackson "hard edged" song

IIRC it was their biggest American hit, so thanks MJ
[Reply]
Nzoner 06:01 PM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Back to Queen real quick, another thing I found interesting from Days of Our Lives doc is that Michael Jackson had to pressure them into releasing Another One Bites the Dust as a single... a song that almost didn't even MAKE IT ON THE RECORD

What a great ear MJ had, and it makes perfect sense for him... that bass line, the funky guitars, the lyrics, it sounds like a Michael Jackson "hard edged" song

IIRC it was their biggest American hit, so thanks MJ
Not only that it crossed over and charted in other mainstream music.As I recall it even made the country charts.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:23 PM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
Not only that it crossed over and charted in other mainstream music.As I recall it even made the country charts.
The crossover appeal was unheard of at the time
[Reply]
patteeu 06:30 PM 02-26-2019
The crossover appeal was unheard of at the time
Both Jeannie C. Riley's Harper Valley PTA and Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 hit #1 on the country charts and the pop charts when they came out. I'm not sure that's happened many other times. That's not really relevant to Queen, but I thought it was interesting when I heard it.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:39 PM 02-26-2019
Both Jeannie C. Riley's Harper Valley PTA and Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 hit #1 on the country charts and the pop charts when they came out. I'm not sure that's happened many other times. That's not really relevant to Queen, but I thought it was interesting when I heard it.
I stand corrected, but you gotta admit that Queen getting hot on the country charts back then was pretty wild
[Reply]
patteeu 06:59 PM 02-26-2019
I stand corrected, but you gotta admit that Queen getting hot on the country charts back then was pretty wild
It's hard to believe (not that I'm doubting). It seems more likely for country hits to go pop than for rock/pop hits to be picked up by the country guys.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:29 PM 02-26-2019
I saw them in the early 80s and enjoyed it as they were the top of the heap for me at the time. I didn’t care about Kiss nearly as much, but I thought they did alright live when I saw them around that time too.
I was promoting concerts in 1982. Judas Priest and Ozzie were the big names I did. Backstage was a snore fest. Ozzy and Priest we’re both off drugs, not even a little weed.

Halford was pissed off because the nearby golf course we gave his manager had no tee times on that day. All they talked about was golf. He wanted his tee time tomorrow or he wasn’t doing the meet and greet. Found out a liitle later, When I left to go fix this the whole room cracked up, he was playing me. They had the tee time. He was just giving me shit for fun. After the concert he let me in on the joke. I told him without missing a beat, bet you guys were more fun when you were doing drugs. That cracked them all up. He gave me a big bear hug and said your alright man.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 10:20 PM 02-26-2019
oh yeah? 1996 I went to an STP concert with Cheap Trick as the opener. Nielsen does a rock n' roll stage move to pump up the crowd. he points right at me. then he did a backhanded-finger toss of a guitar pick. it shot straight at me, hurtling faster than anyone could've anticpated. I was ready, though. I extended both my arms in front of me for a clapping hand catch. both my thumbs got a piece of it. but I couldnt see it. it must've fallen straight down. my 3 friends and I spent a couple minutes looking for it. the next day, i found the pick in my shirt pocket. I tried the pick on my bass guitar and broke it with just a few strums.
[Reply]
Nzoner 09:49 AM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I was promoting concerts in 1982. Judas Priest and Ozzie were the big names I did. Backstage was a snore fest. Ozzy and Priest we’re both off drugs, not even a little weed.

Halford was pissed off because the nearby golf course we gave his manager had no tee times on that day. All they talked about was golf. He wanted his tee time tomorrow or he wasn’t doing the meet and greet. Found out a liitle later, When I left to go fix this the whole room cracked up, he was playing me. They had the tee time. He was just giving me shit for fun. After the concert he let me in on the joke. I told him without missing a beat, bet you guys were more fun when you were doing drugs. That cracked them all up. He gave me a big bear hug and said your alright man.
That was a good story BRC.

The mrs and I once catered a Joan Jett concert (pic is to the left with us and Joan) and it was truly one those lifetime experiences I'll never forget.

Can't tell everything here way too long but let's just say Joan's road manager who went by the name Maddog and I did not see eye to eye and I had to go toe to toe with him twice that day.Thanks to the arena manager I had been forewarned about certain road managers antics so luckily I was prepared,stood my ground and won the battles.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 01:18 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
oh yeah? 1996 I went to an STP concert with Cheap Trick as the opener. Nielsen does a rock n' roll stage move to pump up the crowd. he points right at me. then he did a backhanded-finger toss of a guitar pick. it shot straight at me, hurtling faster than anyone could've anticpated. I was ready, though. I extended both my arms in front of me for a clapping hand catch. both my thumbs got a piece of it. but I couldnt see it. it must've fallen straight down. my 3 friends and I spent a couple minutes looking for it. the next day, i found the pick in my shirt pocket. I tried the pick on my bass guitar and broke it with just a few strums.
I was about 2 ft away from catching BB King's pick once. Chick in front of me had a crazy vertical. Still bummed about that.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Up