ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Media Center>The Punisher (Netflix series)
Fire Me Boy! 07:06 AM 10-04-2016
The Punisher Netflix Series Begins Filming

http://screenrant.com/the-punisher-n...B-P&view=lista

Originally Posted by :
Netflix and Marvel recently launched Luke Cage, which hit the streaming service just a few days ago, but the collaboration has bigger plans on the horizon. Next year will kick off with the premiere of Iron Fist before all the street-level heroes of New York team up in The Defenders. That means Netflix has a full slate of projects headed its way from the MCU, but it won’t stop there. The service has new seasons of both Daredevil and Jessica Jones coming soon, and it will also welcome perhaps the grittiest of all the heroes to the neighborhood when The Punisher gets his own solo series.

Given the response from the character’s debut in Daredevil season 2, the series has been on the fast track, going from speculation to confirmation in a remarkably short amount of time. And if a new batch of set photos are any indication, it seems that production on the series has officially gotten underway in New York.

More at the link.

[Reply]
Rausch 11:43 PM 12-01-2017
Originally Posted by BigRichard:

Doesn't feel like a "Super hero movie" and that is a good thing. A lot of cheesy acting and scenes in the other shows but not so much in this one.
This is why I love the idea of Netflix doing Marvel characters. If you knew nothing about the Punisher or Marvel you could watch and like this series. In fact I don't think it referenced anything super hero in it.

People forget that Constantine, 300, 30 days of Night, and A History Of Violence were all comic books. At this point comix are just a medium like radio or TV...
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:18 PM 12-03-2017
I finished this Thursday. It was amazing. I watched the Emergency Awesome review on it in which he said, "You'll either love this because you love the Punisher or you'll hate it because it makes you feel like crap." Shit is HEAVY.

He's half right. I don't necessarily love the Punisher, but I'm not afraid of violent, dark television. There just isn't much in it that's happy. Like, at all. It handled a tremendous amount of violence, especially in an environment of fear caused by mass shootings, very well. I don't know how the critics are handling it, but I thought it's approach to PTSD and the helplessness felt by combat vets very smartly. It also felt very real. Daredevil is pretty gritty, but you're still watching a blind guy fight criminals. Punisher is a military guy fighting other military guys, and it FEELS real.

Bernthal is great. Dude is very nuanced. There is essentially 3 different versions of Castle that Bernthal executes brilliantly: 1. Soldier mode Castle - laser focused and lethal, 2. undercover Castle - very charming and disarming, 3. normal Castle - broken, can't make eye contact, stutters some. It is really a brilliant performance. I still say the Daredevil S2 cemetary scene is one of the best (essentially) monologues in Television. But every time he talks about his family it is just incredible. He also makes it feel very real with little nuanced mannerisms. Like when he's in the diner and the waitress tells him not to take too long and he mumbles "yeah, right." under his breath. That is really hard to pull off without sounding like a douchenozzle. His performance is full of nuanced little mannerisms like that. I can't say enough about Bernthal's performance. He's so fucking good.

Initially I didn't really like Madani, Stein, or even Micro. But a few episodes in, I was hooked. I'm not sure if their performances got better or if I just warmed up to them and their roles in the story had real impact for me.

The only thing I could nitpick at all was they overdid the whole "women make emotional decisions." bit. You don't get to where Madani is by being an emotional wreck that can't get shit done because she's too busy being emtional and doing stupid shit. Same for Karen. Also Karen's story didn't really have any resolution, but looking back, most of Rosario Dawson's story lines are just kind of there too. More of a tool than a character arc. But those nitpicks are super minute. The show was really really good.

I can't say enough about how much I love this show. As heavy as it is.

I can't have everything I watch be that heavy, but this is so good.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:22 PM 12-03-2017
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
There are some really dark comic books. Maus for example which has mice, cats, and pigs for characters but is about the authors parents experiences during the holocaust, the suicide of his mother because of her experiences in Auschwitz, and the effect it had on his parents and his relationship with his parents.
That's a graphic novel.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 04:04 PM 12-03-2017
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That's a graphic novel.
It was collected into one but initially it was serialized.
[Reply]
Jamie 06:00 PM 12-03-2017
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
It was collected into one but initially it was serialized.
I mean, kind of. But trying to distinguish between comics and graphic novels is pointless anyway.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:01 AM 12-11-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I finished this Thursday. It was amazing. I watched the Emergency Awesome review on it in which he said, "You'll either love this because you love the Punisher or you'll hate it because it makes you feel like crap." Shit is HEAVY.

He's half right. I don't necessarily love the Punisher, but I'm not afraid of violent, dark television. There just isn't much in it that's happy. Like, at all. It handled a tremendous amount of violence, especially in an environment of fear caused by mass shootings, very well. I don't know how the critics are handling it, but I thought it's approach to PTSD and the helplessness felt by combat vets very smartly. It also felt very real. Daredevil is pretty gritty, but you're still watching a blind guy fight criminals. Punisher is a military guy fighting other military guys, and it FEELS real.

Bernthal is great. Dude is very nuanced. There is essentially 3 different versions of Castle that Bernthal executes brilliantly: 1. Soldier mode Castle - laser focused and lethal, 2. undercover Castle - very charming and disarming, 3. normal Castle - broken, can't make eye contact, stutters some. It is really a brilliant performance. I still say the Daredevil S2 cemetary scene is one of the best (essentially) monologues in Television. But every time he talks about his family it is just incredible. He also makes it feel very real with little nuanced mannerisms. Like when he's in the diner and the waitress tells him not to take too long and he mumbles "yeah, right." under his breath. That is really hard to pull off without sounding like a douchenozzle. His performance is full of nuanced little mannerisms like that. I can't say enough about Bernthal's performance. He's so ****ing good.

Initially I didn't really like Madani, Stein, or even Micro. But a few episodes in, I was hooked. I'm not sure if their performances got better or if I just warmed up to them and their roles in the story had real impact for me.

The only thing I could nitpick at all was they overdid the whole "women make emotional decisions." bit. You don't get to where Madani is by being an emotional wreck that can't get shit done because she's too busy being emtional and doing stupid shit. Same for Karen. Also Karen's story didn't really have any resolution, but looking back, most of Rosario Dawson's story lines are just kind of there too. More of a tool than a character arc. But those nitpicks are super minute. The show was really really good.

I can't say enough about how much I love this show. As heavy as it is.

I can't have everything I watch be that heavy, but this is so good.
Did they already sign up for a Punisher season 2? Perfectly set up one with the ending of the show.

Really some of the very best TV I've ever watched.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:11 PM 12-11-2017
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Did they already sign up for a Punisher season 2? Perfectly set up one with the ending of the show.

Really some of the very best TV I've ever watched.
I haven't heard what the plan is. To my knowledge nothing has been set in stone.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 06:36 PM 12-12-2017
https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...-season-she-ra
[Reply]
unlurking 06:53 PM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...-season-she-ra
:-)

That didn't take long.
[Reply]
Rausch 11:12 AM 12-14-2017
I don't know how the critics are handling it, but I thought it's approach to PTSD and the helplessness felt by combat vets very smartly. It also felt very real. Daredevil is pretty gritty, but you're still watching a blind guy fight criminals. Punisher is a military guy fighting other military guys, and it FEELS real.
Oh, I'm sure plenty of vets will relate to it.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 01:23 PM 01-05-2018
Just finished this.... enjoyed it alot. Bernthal def is the Punisher...curious how they'll go in s2
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:03 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
Just finished this.... enjoyed it alot. Bernthal def is the Punisher...curious how they'll go in s2
I hope they do Punisher kills the Marvel Universe variant.
[Reply]
Clyde Frog 12:21 PM 01-08-2018
Made it about halfway through the season and found myself fast forwarding through any time the lady cop was not at work. They need to just can the whole angle of her personal life. Complete waste of time. Uninteresting, cardboard characters. Don't give a shit about her or her family.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:25 PM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog:
Made it about halfway through the season and found myself fast forwarding through any time the lady cop was not at work. They need to just can the whole angle of her personal life. Complete waste of time. Uninteresting, cardboard characters. Don't give a shit about her or her family.
Initially I HATED her character. Until (spoilered because I don't know how far along you are)

Spoiler!

Then I was happy I watched all of it.
[Reply]
Clyde Frog 12:33 PM 01-08-2018
Initially I HATED her character. Until (spoilered because I don't know how far along you are)

Spoiler!

Then I was happy I watched all of it.
Yeah, I got to that part. I guess Im a little further along than half way.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up