ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 81 of 94
« First < 31717778798081 8283848591 > Last »
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
O.city 10:03 PM 01-13-2019
Off to a good start
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:24 PM 01-14-2019
Spoiler!

[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:20 PM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Off to a good start
Loved the first couple episodes. So spoiled by Netflix series that are released in their entirety and disappointed I have to wait for more of these.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:30 PM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Loved the first couple episodes. So spoiled by Netflix series that are released in their entirety and disappointed I have to wait for more of these.
It's kind of a good thing in TD's case given the genre. Give people a week to make wild-ass speculation about what the fuck is going on allows for free advertising.
[Reply]
RN47 09:36 PM 01-14-2019
If I get blasted, so be it.

I watched episode one, and it seemed like they’re trying too hard to be moody and dark. I’ll watch it til the end but it’s not grabbing me. Hope it improves.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:29 AM 01-15-2019
Some allusion distillation

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...on-3-premeire?
[Reply]
NewChief 11:42 AM 01-15-2019
My hunch is that this season won’t go as out there with the weird conspiracy stuff and is going to push the envelope more with storytelling technique and themes around memory and experience with the multiple timelines.

I may be wrong, and the dolls are indicating as much, but I don’t see some insane Carcosa mindfrick with all the infinite possibilities and insane speculation that we saw in Season 1. Which, I think, is ultimately a good thing. Much of our disappointment with season 1 was the letdown of the reality of the narrative vs the fantasy buildup we had all created.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:53 AM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by NewChief:
My hunch is that this season won’t go as out there with the weird conspiracy stuff and is going to push the envelope more with storytelling technique and themes around memory and experience with the multiple timelines.

I may be wrong, and the dolls are indicating as much, but I don’t see some insane Carcosa mindfrick with all the infinite possibilities and insane speculation that we saw in Season 1. Which, I think, is ultimately a good thing. Much of our disappointment with season 1 was the letdown of the reality of the narrative vs the fantasy buildup we had all created.

For what it's worth, Pizz has stated that there's no unreliable narrator plot executed through Hays' dementia.

I'm thinking the angle is going to be police corruption / mob justice.

I haven't rewatched it, but I'm pretty sure one of the attorney's questioning Hays' memory issues in 1990 is going to be a reference to Hays' being caught lying about something from the past relating to a case and not demonstrative of people being aware of his actual cognitive faculties.
[Reply]
AssEaterChief 03:24 PM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
For what it's worth, Pizz has stated that there's no unreliable narrator plot executed through Hays' dementia.

I'm thinking the angle is going to be police corruption / mob justice.

I haven't rewatched it, but I'm pretty sure one of the attorney's questioning Hays' memory issues in 1990 is going to be a reference to Hays' being caught lying about something from the past relating to a case and not demonstrative of people being aware of his actual cognitive faculties.
Seems like it so far...

First couple episodes are good, acting and plot are on point. They are developing these characters nicely.
[Reply]
sully1983 07:30 AM 01-16-2019
Ali is an outstanding actor and the 1st 2 episodes were both really good.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:40 PM 01-17-2019
Ugh. Boring. Flat.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:41 PM 01-17-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Ugh. Boring. Flat.
We can talk about wife in another thread.
[Reply]
RN47 06:25 AM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Ugh. Boring. Flat.

Kind of agree.

Completely erase Season 1 from your memory, and all the expectations that come with it. Now watch Season 3, and it's just, okay. Stephen Dorff is miscast and cannot affect a southern accent-- nor is he that compelling of an actor. I see no chemistry between him and Ali whatsoever.

I grew up in southern Missouri and spent a lot of time in Arkansas; my memory of it is a place rich in unique culture (not to mention quirkiness) that they could have tapped into to make this story more interesting. Season 1 did a great job of using southern Louisiana's setting to impact the story-line, and Season 2's use of LA's seedy underbelly was even better (than this season). Season 3, outside of throwing around some names of local towns, could be set in Iowa, Kentucky, Indiana, Oklahoma, etc.

Creeping camera shots, close ups of Mahershala Ali's face, moody music do not build suspense in and of themselves. Not to mention-- and I'm not dissing his acting skills--- but lots of mumbling/low talking from him.

Season 1 was lightning in a bottle. I'll continue to watch, and my disagreement with 90% of folks isn't implying anything. I just expected more after such a long hiatus.
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 08:32 AM 01-18-2019
Story line is mildly interesting at best. Angry father/mother roles are over acted in my opinion. I have had to crank up the volume and replay several of the Hays scenes because of the aforementioned low talking and mumbling. I attribute to Ali laying on the Arkansas accent just a bit too much.

I'll keep watching though, in the hopes that it gets better.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 10:24 AM 01-18-2019
Subtitles guys.
[Reply]
Page 81 of 94
« First < 31717778798081 8283848591 > Last »
Up