ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 171
« First < 41011121314 151617182464114 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:16 PM 10-02-2015
Originally Posted by eDave:
Just caught the first episode of The Grinder. Really good, really funny with an excellent cast. Check it on Fox.

I can't imagine anyone not liking this one.
The one where the actor that plays a lawyer tries to be a lawyer? That sounds horrid.
[Reply]
eDave 12:46 AM 10-03-2015
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
The one where the actor that plays a lawyer tries to be a lawyer? That sounds horrid.
That's it. I find it to be very funny. Getting great reviews too.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:34 AM 10-03-2015
Originally Posted by eDave:
That's it. I find it to be very funny. Getting great reviews too.
I'll check it out.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:14 AM 10-03-2015
I actually really liked the pilot episode for Grandfathered.

Stamos was note perfect.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 09:40 AM 10-03-2015
Originally Posted by Silock:
You're the Worst is pretty good
I was just about to add this. Just binged on almost all of the 1st season.

Suits is another one that is fantastic and manages to get better with each season.
[Reply]
eDave 07:11 PM 10-03-2015
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'll check it out.
It does play on the ridiculousness of that premise.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:24 AM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by Silock:
You're the Worst is pretty good
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
I was just about to add this. Just binged on almost all of the 1st season.

Suits is another one that is fantastic and manages to get better with each season.
They are pulling off some sublime shit.
I won't reveal or discuss the plot development, in part not to spoil it and in part because I can't speak to its veracity, put those in the know are absolutely, . . . I don't even want to put a verb to their reaction, except to say it's positive from a writing standpoint. As in reviews nearly orgasmic about it.

I can't say this enough. Everything you see as a general description does it a disservice. It's an ensemble sitcom about young single people and their transition to adulthood in the aughts. Sounds like a couple dozen other sitcoms, but each character is perfectly cast. Each guest or peripheral character is perfectly written. Their stories have SUCH a better and more deeply understood foundation, and it's FUNNY. Sometimes it's funny sill, sometimes it's funny quirky, sometimes it's funny dark, and sometimes you barely manage a smile through tears and dread.

Can't recommend enough.

A couple things I would say is it's serialized and takes a bit to get in motion. Part of the landscape when you tell rich stories. Start from the beginning and stick with it. It's not hard because it has payoffs from day one, and some things you don't even know are payoffs pay off even more over time.

It also has a remarkable ability to be viewed lightly or intensely and pay off either way. There's plenty of attractive people doing crazy stuff for the popcorn crowd. There's plenty of pathos and reality for the curl up in a slanket and moan crowd.

It's a COMPLETELY COMPLETELY different show, but the best way I can think to recommend it is to say it's finally a sitcom worthy of the channel that brought you Sunny in Philadelphia.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:03 PM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
They are pulling off some sublime shit.
I won't reveal or discuss the plot development, in part not to spoil it and in part because I can't speak to its veracity, put those in the know are absolutely, . . . I don't even want to put a verb to their reaction, except to say it's positive from a writing standpoint. As in reviews nearly orgasmic about it.

I can't say this enough. Everything you see as a general description does it a disservice. It's an ensemble sitcom about young single people and their transition to adulthood in the aughts. Sounds like a couple dozen other sitcoms, but each character is perfectly cast. Each guest or peripheral character is perfectly written. Their stories have SUCH a better and more deeply understood foundation, and it's FUNNY. Sometimes it's funny sill, sometimes it's funny quirky, sometimes it's funny dark, and sometimes you barely manage a smile through tears and dread.

Can't recommend enough.

A couple things I would say is it's serialized and takes a bit to get in motion. Part of the landscape when you tell rich stories. Start from the beginning and stick with it. It's not hard because it has payoffs from day one, and some things you don't even know are payoffs pay off even more over time.

It also has a remarkable ability to be viewed lightly or intensely and pay off either way. There's plenty of attractive people doing crazy stuff for the popcorn crowd. There's plenty of pathos and reality for the curl up in a slanket and moan crowd.

It's a COMPLETELY COMPLETELY different show, but the best way I can think to recommend it is to say it's finally a sitcom worthy of the channel that brought you Sunny in Philadelphia.
I had that on the DVR and lost an episode in a storm and haven't gotten back into it. I will though.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:25 AM 11-20-2015
Now that Billy on the Street is on cable, I've caught a few and it's hilarious. I was familiar with his schtick, but really made no effort to track down the stuff online. But 4 or so episodes they've had on cable have had two or three things an episode that catch me completely off guard and just have me rolling.

He's a lot to take, so I still haven't tracked down his older stuff because 22 minutes w/o commercials is just about enough for a week. But I find myself looking forward to it.

[Reply]
rocknrolla 03:47 AM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Now that Billy on the Street is on cable, I've caught a few and it's hilarious. I was familiar with his schtick, but really made no effort to track down the stuff online. But 4 or so episodes they've had on cable have had two or three things an episode that catch me completely off guard and just have me rolling.

He's a lot to take, so I still haven't tracked down his older stuff because 22 minutes w/o commercials is just about enough for a week. But I find myself looking forward to it.

You can find almost all of his past "On The Street" on YouTube. He is hilarious.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:38 AM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by rocknrolla:
You can find almost all of his past "On The Street" on YouTube. He is hilarious.
"Presents for my 13th Birthday were; the Madonna Sex Book and tickets to 'Guys and Dolls,' swear to God!!'

:-) :-)

And Lord love the chaos of Times Square. Julianne Moore performing Oscar nominated scripts for tip money yields this moment.
Attached: Julianne Moore.jpg (50.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:52 AM 12-19-2015
Amazon and Netflix announced a bunch of pick ups and renewals recently.

http://www.avclub.com/article/amazon...s-stuff-230062

Amazon has already been offering all their proposed pilots as free previews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1001155581

The one I've seen is Tig Notaro's 'One Mississippi' produced by Louis C.K and Diablo Cody.

Pretty good start. Mostly autobiographical, centering on her recent tragedy triad of getting diagnosed with both C-Diff and bilateral breast cancer the same week her mother fell, hit her head, and died. It's dark, but Tig is good at making the dark funny.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...&redirect=true

paging Cosmo
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:08 PM 12-19-2015
The only Amazon pilot I saw this year was the western, Edge, and that was pretty disappointing I thought. Looks like they didn't pick it up.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:14 PM 12-19-2015
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
The only Amazon pilot I saw this year was the western, Edge, and that was pretty disappointing I thought. Looks like they didn't pick it up.
Yeah, according to the article, that was the one pilot Amazon declined.
[Reply]
Kaepernick 02:51 PM 12-19-2015
An oldie but a goodie...

Twin Peaks is MUST SEE in my book. Very must see. Beginning of season 2 dips a bit but by midseason we are rocking the stratosphere again.

Sad that it was cancelled after only 2 years, but if you haven't seen Twin Peaks, man you are in for a treat. For the people who don't like it, I wonder if they gave it enough of a chance. It started pretty bizarre but I was hooked by the 2nd episode. Some people may need to force themselves to watch 4 shows or so. Might find yourselves hooked too.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 171
« First < 41011121314 151617182464114 > Last »
Up