ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 57
« First < 6465253545556 57 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
KS Smitty 02:44 PM 07-12-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Since this is the "gardening" thread too....does anyone have any prevention ideas for squash vine borer bugs? They killed my fall squash planting last year, I'm putting a fall crop in pretty soon and I'd be open to any suggestions.
Most suggestions I've seen is to keep an eye out for their appearance and if/when they show up slice them out of the vine and inject Bt into the vine via the slice and cover it with soil. You also need to be vigilant in looking for their eggs which are usually on the underside of the leaves. Those can be removed using tape. Good luck, between them and the squash bugs I just let someone else grow them.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:45 PM 07-12-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Since this is the "gardening" thread too....does anyone have any prevention ideas for squash vine borer bugs? They killed my fall squash planting last year, I'm putting a fall crop in pretty soon and I'd be open to any suggestions.
If you know a farmer that has some Cruiser sitting around, use that. Kills every bug imaginable.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 02:47 PM 07-12-2023
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
If you know a farmer that has some Cruiser sitting around, use that. Kills every bug imaginable.
You do need some bugs for pollination of the fruit unless you want to hand pollinate.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:51 PM 07-12-2023
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
You do need some bugs for pollination of the fruit unless you want to hand pollinate.

For some that is easier than others. I am not judging.

So go after pollination if possible.

Used Cruiser on trees for those green beetles. Insta death.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 03:13 PM 07-12-2023
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
For some that is easier than others. I am not judging.

So go after pollination if possible.

Used Cruiser on trees for those green beetles. Insta death.
I hate those Japanese beetles, they'll eat everything! Good to know that will take them out.

Bt is a bacteria that is more discriminating what it will kill.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:50 AM 07-15-2023
You may remember my post from a few years ago. Where I planted trees on our property line next to my dumbass/asshole neighbor.

My trees are sending out shoots. I almost feel bad about it, but he has a lot on his property.
Almost feel bad.

All he needs to do is mow them over, but with it being so dry, they are growing. Not my problem.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
bdj23 09:31 AM 07-16-2023
So my wife accidentally sprayed our garden with a Jap beetle pesticide that isn't meant for edible plants.

All my tomatoes and pepper plants are probably fucked, right?
[Reply]
Stewie 02:43 PM 07-27-2023
Home Depot has a great deal on a Champion rear tine tiller. $179 regularly $693. Not sure how long this will last.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 04:29 PM 07-27-2023
Any of you pepper gardeners been affected by Peppergate? A lot of Kansas gardeners have had their jalapeno seeds and plants turn out to be a completely different pepper. Lots of banana peppers but other varieties as well. Different seed companies and nurseries involved, seems the distributor screwed up labeling them. I didn't plant peppers this year but I have seen quite a few posts in my gardening group from folks not getting the peppers they planted.
[Reply]
raybec 4 05:14 PM 07-27-2023
Originally Posted by bdj23:
So my wife accidentally sprayed our garden with a Jap beetle pesticide that isn't meant for edible plants.

All my tomatoes and pepper plants are probably ****ed, right?
How did this turn out? Did they survive?
[Reply]
raybec 4 05:15 PM 07-27-2023
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
Any of you pepper gardeners been affected by Peppergate? A lot of Kansas gardeners have had their jalapeno seeds and plants turn out to be a completely different pepper. Lots of banana peppers but other varieties as well. Different seed companies and nurseries involved, seems the distributor screwed up labeling them. I didn't plant peppers this year but I have seen quite a few posts in my gardening group from folks not getting the peppers they planted.
I don't live in KS but my peppers were as advertised this year. My shishitos aren't doing very well... maybe I can blame that on the distributor.
[Reply]
myselff77 03:49 PM 08-15-2023
Anyone on the board an expert at growing citrus trees and have the ability to tell the difference between a meyer lemon tree and a dwarf key lime tree? Two years ago I bought both to grow in containers. What I thought was the key lime tree did not survive the first winter. The one that remains has started to grow some fruit. The first two fruits did not turn fully yellow before falling off the tree. A few more are ripening up, but also not sure if they will turn a full yellow.

Now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if the one that remains is actually the key lime tree. Any experts?
Attached: IMG_1598.jpeg (160.3 KB) 
[Reply]
Indian Chief 06:13 PM 08-15-2023
Picture is hard to see on my phone, but those really look like key limes to me.
[Reply]
myselff77 07:08 PM 08-15-2023
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Picture is hard to see on my phone, but those really look like key limes to me.
Thanks for the feedback. I tried re-uploading the picture in a bit higher resolution to see if it helps any. I’m starting to lean towards it being a key lime tree as well, but I just don’t know for sure. The tops of the fruit on some are now turning a brighter yellow so I could also just be inpatient.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:35 PM 10-04-2023
It's amazing how you can go from no grass to needing a baler in just a few weeks.
[Reply]
Page 56 of 57
« First < 6465253545556 57 >
Up