6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 03:17 PM 06-28-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
We need to find out who decided to play KG everyday the last 6 weeks. “I’m gonna put Dayton on the stand”

I'm not sure you can handle the truth.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 03:22 PM 06-28-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
The Royals are actually 10th as a team in MLB in batting average right now. That's ****ing nuts.
Not surprising. They lead the league in infield hits, duck snorts, Texas leaguers, dying quails, bleeders, bloops, Baltimore chops and pussy farts. Slapdick lineup.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:42 PM 06-28-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
You're right but he's clearly taking the Tony LaRussa approach, trying to put a guy like Dave Henderson or Jim Edmonds in the 2 hole, just looking for pop. Soler's OBP is horrible because he's not hitting the ball. His OBP is still nearly 100 points over his average. If he was even a .220 hitter he'd probably have an above average OBP.

Soler has also been atrocious against anything that's not a fastball. Not that he's been great anywhere but 55 of his 80 Ks are on pitches other than fastballs. Maybe getting Whit on base ahead of him might help him see more decent fastballs to hit early in counts. It might not work at all, but right now the whole second half of the order is a vacuum and they need to try something else.
It's this. It's also worth pointing out that despite the troubles, Soler has a .347 OBP in June despite hitting sub .200.

If the Royals can get him right, he can boost the offense in ways that no one else can. Not that it matters at this point in the season, as there doesn't seem to be any way they can climb back "into it." The upside is high. And it DOES put teams in a tougher spot when Merrifield gets on in front of Soler. If it means he sees more heaters, it benefits him a bunch.

We need to find out who decided to play KG everyday the last 6 weeks. “I’m gonna put Dayton on the stand”

There's no great revelation here. The manager makes day-to-day decisions. GMs don't dictate individual lineup decisions.

GM runs the overall ship and coordinates personnel with the manager. You've got to give the guy room to make his own decisions or you've hired the wrong person.

Owner hires the GM and again has to give the guy room to do his job or they have hired the wrong person.

Matheny IS a manager so stubborn his GM has literally traded players away so he can no longer stubbornly use them before (see: Craig, Allen).

I think Moore put himself in hot water by going with Matheny. At worst, I think Matheny will have to make large changes to the coaching staff at the major league level. At best, Moore realizes Matheny is a buffoon who doesn't have any redeeming qualities as an actual baseball manager and moves on.

I expect Moore will go to bat for Matheny out of loyalty. It will put HIM on the hot seat to do something like that.

I also expect John Sherman to move purposely when it comes to the GM spot. If he were to fire Moore, he'd have to be sure it won't hurt the Royals' rep with other league officials.

What probably is a better move than firing Moore would be to give him the "promotion" similar to what Beane got in Oakland, where he is President of Baseball Operations, but someone else is making the personnel decisions.
[Reply]
ROYC75 04:17 PM 06-28-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
His OBP is .282. That's AWFUL for a guy that does take a few walks. Unfortunately, his ridiculous K rate undermines the walks. Ideally, you don't want a guy that has one of the worst K rates for everyday players near the very top of your lineup.

Meanwhile, we have a guy named Lopez sitting in the 8 hole who's been making solid contact, currently has an .352 OBP, and is willing to do the little things. If we wanted to try something 'crazy', why not move Nicky up there and see how he does.

At least you could justify that move.

But Matheny and stuff . . . . . .
( CP Braintrust ) But, but, but Lopez sucks!

I agree on Lppez, has been on a tear lately. I have pulled for him right from the start. He went through that hitting slump and pulled himself out of it. So has Whit, these 2 at the top would work well moving runners and with speed.

But, Matheny!
[Reply]
ROYC75 04:18 PM 06-28-2021
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:21 PM 06-28-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It's this. It's also worth pointing out that despite the troubles, Soler has a .347 OBP in June despite hitting sub .200.

If the Royals can get him right, he can boost the offense in ways that no one else can. Not that it matters at this point in the season, as there doesn't seem to be any way they can climb back "into it." The upside is high. And it DOES put teams in a tougher spot when Merrifield gets on in front of Soler. If it means he sees more heaters, it benefits him a bunch.

There's no great revelation here. The manager makes day-to-day decisions. GMs don't dictate individual lineup decisions.

GM runs the overall ship and coordinates personnel with the manager. You've got to give the guy room to make his own decisions or you've hired the wrong person.

Owner hires the GM and again has to give the guy room to do his job or they have hired the wrong person.

Matheny IS a manager so stubborn his GM has literally traded players away so he can no longer stubbornly use them before (see: Craig, Allen).

I think Moore put himself in hot water by going with Matheny. At worst, I think Matheny will have to make large changes to the coaching staff at the major league level. At best, Moore realizes Matheny is a buffoon who doesn't have any redeeming qualities as an actual baseball manager and moves on.

I expect Moore will go to bat for Matheny out of loyalty. It will put HIM on the hot seat to do something like that.

I also expect John Sherman to move purposely when it comes to the GM spot. If he were to fire Moore, he'd have to be sure it won't hurt the Royals' rep with other league officials.

What probably is a better move than firing Moore would be to give him the "promotion" similar to what Beane got in Oakland, where he is President of Baseball Operations, but someone else is making the personnel decisions.

Ever seen Moneyball? Beane tells Howe he’s playing Hattebwrg at 1B. Howe replies “Nah, it’s Pena”. Beane says you can’t. Howe: “Why!” Beane: cause I traded him.

Catch my drift?
[Reply]
gblowfish 08:33 PM 06-28-2021
Dozier hitting .156 and has 50 more Ks than walks. Enough. Sit him or send him down.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:37 PM 06-28-2021
At the moment I do not mind the losses. The most significant staffing changes from 2013-2017 came at the tail end of bad stretches when Moore was in a vice. Every loss is going to put the heat on him to make similar changes.

I am thrilled watching Pratto, Witt and the young arms in AAA. None of it matters if they come to the MLB and are surrounded by incompetence in the dugout.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:13 PM 06-28-2021
In his first official professional game, Erick Pena is 2-for-4 with an RBI, a run scored, a walk and no strikeouts so far. The Arizona Complex League Royals lead the ACL Rangers, 4-2, in the seventh.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:16 PM 06-28-2021
Ever seen Moneyball? Beane tells Howe he’s playing Hattebwrg at 1B. Howe replies “Nah, it’s Pena”. Beane says you can’t. Howe: “Why!” Beane: cause I traded him.

Catch my drift?
You were bitching when Ed Wade was a GM candidate. His drafts have blown skunkheads out of the water. Send that fucker back to Atlanta.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:36 PM 06-28-2021
I'll admit I did think it was pretty funny when all of you guys thought this was a good team at the beginning of the year, then yelled at me, put your fingers in your ears and head in the sand when I told you it wasn't. Accept reality and understanding your bias are keys to life.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 07:27 AM 06-29-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I'll admit I did think it was pretty funny when all of you guys thought this was a good team at the beginning of the year, then yelled at me, put your fingers in your ears and head in the sand when I told you it wasn't. Accept reality and understanding your bias are keys to life.
The majority of people were telling you to stfu because they were basking in the moment. Enjoying watching a few pieces that we wanted to see improvement and success actually doing so. You walked in and tried to shit on everyone's joy.

Repeatedly.

In Seattle, the poor schmucks walk outside and enjoy the glow when the sun comes out. They dont sit inside like ebenezer scrooge pissed off that in 2 hours its gonna be fucking raining again. But go ahead and pat yourself on the back because you knew (like most everyone else) that it was going to return to misery. You just werent Dumb enough to enjoy the sun. That'll learn them huh?
[Reply]
ChiTown 07:37 AM 06-29-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

I'm VERY interested to see what sort of balls John Sherman and this ownership team for the Royals actually have. Are they the group that says, "aww shucks, we're just happy to be here..." or are they serious about winning and it's "get your shit together or GTFO!". Matheny is a mistake, like a big one, and Dayton owns that mistake. If I'm John Sherman, there is not a chance in hell that I would hand off the keys to this upcoming talent and current youth on this team to Mike Matheny. He's a train wreck wrapped inside a tsunami of shit. I fully realize Matheny will be back next season, but both he and Dayton should be on the shortest of leashes in 2022. If not, then it's pretty obvious that our ownership team is full on "Aww Shucks".
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 07:52 AM 06-29-2021
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
I'm VERY interested to see what sort of balls John Sherman and this ownership team for the Royals actually have. Are they the group that says, "aww shucks, we're just happy to be here..." or are they serious about winning and it's "get your shit together or GTFO!". Matheny is a mistake, like a big one, and Dayton owns that mistake. If I'm John Sherman, there is not a chance in hell that I would hand off the keys to this upcoming talent and current youth on this team to Mike Matheny. He's a train wreck wrapped inside a tsunami of shit. I fully realize Matheny will be back next season, but both he and Dayton should be on the shortest of leashes in 2022. If not, then it's pretty obvious that our ownership team is full on "Ah Shucks".
The problem is, if he's going to get rid of Matheny this quickly, he almost assuredly has to get rid of Moore as well. They will butt heads over this one. There are a lot of politics to play behind the scenes in the good ole boy network.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:20 AM 06-29-2021
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
I'm VERY interested to see what sort of balls John Sherman and this ownership team for the Royals actually have. Are they the group that says, "aww shucks, we're just happy to be here..." or are they serious about winning and it's "get your shit together or GTFO!". Matheny is a mistake, like a big one, and Dayton owns that mistake. If I'm John Sherman, there is not a chance in hell that I would hand off the keys to this upcoming talent and current youth on this team to Mike Matheny. He's a train wreck wrapped inside a tsunami of shit. I fully realize Matheny will be back next season, but both he and Dayton should be on the shortest of leashes in 2022. If not, then it's pretty obvious that our ownership team is full on "Ah Shucks".
Yeah, it's an interesting thing to watch, for sure.

Moore is loyal and great at building the culture of the organization and getting everyone bought in.

He also is slow to move (because of that loyalty) and doesn't adapt quickly or look for new advantages quickly. He doesn't run the day-to-day player personnel stuff anymore, but does weigh in on the premium draft picks and obviously pro player acquisition and trades.

The lack of success in the draft once MLB went to the hard slots is the biggest sticking point. The Royals were innovative in acquiring talent in Latin America and the draft prior to the hard slot. I think they found something with the college pitchers approach they adopted starting in 2018.

Like I said yesterday, I could see Moore being really successful if a DBO/president role. He would hire a GM and support that guy and stay out of his way unless asked for advice. You'd still get the positives of Moore and potentially upgrade the year-to-year GM stuff.

I actually think they've got the minor league talent pipeline in pretty good shape. 2-3 good drafts in a row will do that, and I think the 18-20 drafts have been good (And 17 is starting to look better and better).
[Reply]
Page 209 of 440
« First < 109159199205206207208209 210211212213219259309 > Last »
Up