ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 220 of 264
« First < 120170210216217218219220 221222223224230 > Last »
Media Center>*The NEW Movies Thread*
Bowser 11:09 AM 01-04-2014
Old one is crapping out the server, per the new guidelines.

Browse the old thread that is chock full of goodness here -

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:16 AM 01-24-2020
What's everyone's interest in a reboot of Spenser for Hire?



This is one show I loved in syndication [missed it in network premiere] enough that I grabbed up some of the novels [kind of like Fletch]. Not sure they'll capture the same feel here, but willing to give it a chance.
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:09 PM 01-27-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
What's everyone's interest in a reboot of Spenser for Hire?



This is one show I loved in syndication [missed it in network premiere] enough that I grabbed up some of the novels [kind of like Fletch]. Not sure they'll capture the same feel here, but willing to give it a chance.
I watched SFH as a kid. I liked it then, but I'm not sure it would hold up to a rewatch. I've never liked Mark Wahlberg, so I'll pass on this, I think.

I was, and still am, a fan of the original Magnum P.I. Selleck and Robert Urich were good friends and TS made a funny little video back in the day giving him some friendly advice about RU's Spencer gig:











Today I watched:


Godzilla: King of the Monsters

I've seen a lot of giant monster movies, and almost all of them suffer from the same problem: too many boring scenes featuring humans and too little monster action. Now the writing in the human scenes is pretty dumb in this one, but it isn't boring at least. The monster scenes were very well done and we even get an appearance by Rodan. Is it a good movie? Not really. But it's more entertaining than most of its ilk.


Little Women (2019)


Needed a lot more kaiju.
[Reply]
sully1983 10:19 AM 01-28-2020
I saw The Gentlemen over the weekend in theaters and really enjoyed it. It was a refreshing return to form for Guy Ritchie and appreciated a lot of the politically incorrect humor. Not on the level of Snatch but overall it was still very entertaining. Hugh Grant steals the show.
[Reply]
Mennonite 01:53 PM 01-30-2020
Midsommar

Pretty obvious how this movie will end once you hear the setup. And that wouldn't be a problem if there was anything original mixed in to the old "city slickers meet a bad end in a strange rural community" trope but there isn't much here. The lead actress cries and wails throughout the movie's two hour plus run time. Many of the scenes that were supposed to be scary came across kind of goofy, imo.

3 From Hell

It's a Rob Zombie movie. At this point you know what you're getting.
[Reply]
EPodolak 05:59 PM 01-30-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Midsommar

Pretty obvious how this movie will end once you hear the setup. And that wouldn't be a problem if there was anything original mixed in to the old "city slickers meet a bad end in a strange rural community" trope but there isn't much here. The lead actress cries and wails throughout the movie's two hour plus run time. Many of the scenes that were supposed to be scary came across kind of goofy, imo.

3 From Hell

It's a Rob Zombie movie. At this point you know what you're getting.
I may not see enough movies, but had never seen anything quite as weird as Midsommar. I recommended it to a few folks. Reminded me a little of the original Wicker Man.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:19 PM 01-30-2020
Yeah, maybe I'm judging it too harshly but I've seen several hundred horror movies and read at least a thousand horror short stories so I'm probably a little jaded.

As you correctly pointed out, it feels a lot like the Wicker Man (1973). I don't have an issue with that, my main complaint is that there isn't anything new and unsettling added to that story.

We all know they're going to be sacrificed, so you have to make the scenes and scares leading up to the ending all that much more effective. I just don't think they did that here.


Edited to add:

Only kinda similar in theme, but I'd like to post this adaptation of the Shirley Jackson short story "The Lottery."


[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:03 PM 01-30-2020
Watched Casino earlier. I'd seen bits and pieces when I was younger but had never sat down and watched it all the way through.

Good movie. Love me some De Niro and Joe Pesci.. it was frustrating to watch De Niro be such a simp, though. The entiiiire fucking movie he just kept letting Ginger come back.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:04 PM 01-30-2020
I'm on the hunt for Godfather next. Never watched any of those all the way through either.
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:22 PM 01-31-2020
The Curse of la Llorona (2019)

It's every ghost movie you've watched over the last 20 years, but with Mexicans.



Terminator: Dark Fate

It's every Terminator movie you've watched over the last 30 years, but with Mexicans.


You know what I just realized? 3 From Hell was chock full of Mexicans, too. And the last Rambo flick. Weird.


The first candidate that promises to build a wall around tired, unneeded, and unasked for sequels will get my vote in November.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:36 PM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I'm on the hunt for Godfather next. Never watched any of those all the way through either.
I've watched and rewatched so many times I honestly can't tell whether it's a preferable way to consume or not, but you should know that there exists a 'Godfather Saga' cut that intertwines all of the films in a single event with a straight timeline.
[Reply]
Dayze 11:04 PM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I've watched and rewatched so many times I honestly can't tell whether it's a preferable way to consume or not, but you should know that there exists a 'Godfather Saga' cut that intertwines all of the films in a single event with a straight timeline.
The saga is awesome.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 12:16 PM 02-01-2020
Movies I saw in theaters in January:

1917 - 10/10. Incredible.

Bad Boys for Life - 6/10. Kinda entertaining, kinda funny, but a little too over the top for me.

Jumanji: The Next Level - 7/10. Surprisingly funny. Also a little over the top, but funny enough to make it worth watching.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 12:33 PM 02-02-2020
My most recent in the theater movies:

1917 (10) Stars

Richard Jewell (8) Stars

Knives Out (7) Stars

Joker (10) Stars

Yesterday (8) Stars

Stan & Ollie (9) Stars

Most recent on TV:

Dead Pool 2 (8) Stars

US (5) Stars

Green Book (9) Stars

Welcome to Marwen (5) Stars

Holmes & Watson (6) Stars

Replicas (6) Stars

Happy Death Day 2U (4) Stars

Cold Pursuit (4) Stars

HappyTime Murders (7) Stars

Peppermint (6) Stars

Equalizer 2 (8) Stars

Can You Ever Forgive Me (7) Stars

The Frontrunner (6) Stars

Bad Times at El Royale (6) Stars

Crazy Rich Asians (6) Stars

BlackkKlansman (6) Stars
[Reply]
Mennonite 01:14 PM 02-05-2020
The Last Jedi and The Shape of Water.

Folks, this kind of shit is why I don't watch many modern movies. Both were just laughably bad.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 06:32 PM 02-05-2020
I watched You Were Never Really Here again last night, it was tremendous.
[Reply]
Page 220 of 264
« First < 120170210216217218219220 221222223224230 > Last »
Up