ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 23
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hardman to the Jets
RunKC 12:30 PM 03-22-2023

Source: Mecole Hardman has agreed to terms with the #Jets on a one-year deal. More speed for Cleveland’s offense. pic.twitter.com/yNw9If2Wc7

— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) March 22, 2023

[Reply]
Shields68 08:45 AM 03-23-2023
Originally Posted by Abba-Dabba:
I'm not surprised. Maybe the idea that KC is a desired destination for WR's is a belief built up by the fanbase. Or else we are trying to get WR's by paying 70 cents on the dollar while everyone else is paying a buck ten. In the grand scheme of things, players don't chase championships. They chase paychecks.

Whether you think it is a dumb decision or not is nothing but coming from a fan perspective. It surely isn't coming from monetary standpoint of Mecole's bank account. There is no guarantee that a bigger contract will be there for him next year. If the Chiefs offered you 3.5 and the Jets offered you 6.5. Even considering taxes for your bottom line it would be a dumb decision to take the 3.5.
I am surprised he went to a team where he starts out as the 4th wr. Not really surprised he is leaving. Though he has looked good in spurts he never was going to be a top option. He never progressed more then 50 receptions 600 yds and some gimmick plays. With Tooney and Moore really playing the same position and looking to bring in another wr to run opposite MVS ... The smart play was to leave just shocked he could not find a spot where he was a top 2 option.
[Reply]
tredadda 08:50 AM 03-23-2023
I'm not surprised. Maybe the idea that KC is a desired destination for WR's is a belief built up by the fanbase. Or else we are trying to get WR's by paying 70 cents on the dollar while everyone else is paying a buck ten. In the grand scheme of things, players don't chase championships. They chase paychecks.

Whether you think it is a dumb decision or not is nothing but coming from a fan perspective. It surely isn't coming from monetary standpoint of Mecole's bank account. There is no guarantee that a bigger contract will be there for him next year. If the Chiefs offered you 3.5 and the Jets offered you 6.5. Even considering taxes for your bottom line it would be a dumb decision to take the 3.5.
That's only partly true. Early in their career they absolutely chase the paycheck which is not a bad thing at all. As their career starts to wind down though, many take less to ring chase.

Hardman has two rings already so he should chase the biggest contract he can get. Only thing is that he needs to be wise in who he signs with as his new team might not put him in a better position to cash in long term. Perhaps the NYJ were his biggest and best overall offer. No way to know for sure.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 08:51 AM 03-23-2023
Originally Posted by Shields68:
I am surprised he went to a team where he starts out as the 4th wr. Not really surprised he is leaving. Though he has looked good in spurts he never was going to be a top option. He never progressed more then 50 receptions 600 yds and some gimmick plays. With Tooney and Moore really playing the same position and looking to bring in another wr to run opposite MVS ... The smart play was to leave just shocked he could not find a spot where he was a top 2 option.
Maybe the way you look at it as a fan isn't the same way a player looks at it. :-)

A company offers you 90K benefits included per year for a specific job. Another employer offers you 50K benefits included for the exact same job. Which one are you taking?
[Reply]
Shields68 08:59 AM 03-23-2023
Maybe the way you look at it as a fan isn't the same way a player looks at it. :-)

A company offers you 90K benefits included per year for a specific job. Another employer offers you 50K benefits included for the exact same job. Which one are you taking?
Understand. Given the Wr market and mediocre wr going for 10 mil a year...Just thought he would have had more teams in on him for a 6.5 1 yr deal. Guess not.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 09:03 AM 03-23-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
That's only partly true. Early in their career they absolutely chase the paycheck which is not a bad thing at all. As their career starts to wind down though, many take less to ring chase.

Hardman has two rings already so he should chase the biggest contract he can get. Only thing is that he needs to be wise in who he signs with as his new team might not put him in a better position to cash in long term. Perhaps the NYJ were his biggest and best overall offer. No way to know for sure.
Don't fool yourself. Players chase the biggest paycheck they possibly can. Don't look down on that like it is something icky. It's not.

There are a very few number of players that may chase a championship in the moonlight of their career. Definitely not in the prime earning years of their playing career.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:06 AM 03-23-2023
Paycheck, yeah. You have any idea how expensive east coast living is?
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 09:09 AM 03-23-2023
Originally Posted by Shields68:
Understand. Given the Wr market and mediocre wr going for 10 mil a year...Just thought he would have had more teams in on him for a 6.5 1 yr deal. Guess not.
Down market year. Get what you can while you can.

I think taking a 1 year deal this year is brilliant to take a chance on himself. The cap goes up next year. Doubtful the WR market will be down as much as this year. Aaron Rodgers to the Jets will happen. He won't have a shit QB and I think he will settle into being their WR3. Mecole may make his 10 million next year. :-)
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 09:10 AM 03-23-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Obviously not enough to keep him away.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:24 AM 03-23-2023
Obviously not enough to keep him away.
Well, it's a pretty considerable difference between Midwest cost of living and New York. But Hardman doesn't appear to be wise.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 09:45 AM 03-23-2023
Well, it's a pretty considerable difference between Midwest cost of living and New York. But Hardman doesn't appear to be wise.
You are talking what may be just 9mos. of living expenses in New Jersey. It's really not even a factor and kind of silly to hang your hat onto.

It's not like he is setting down roots, buying a house, etc in New Jersey. I'm sure the increase of living expenses, even if it is a couple hundred thousand is minimal if the contract was substantially more than the Chiefs offered.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:51 AM 03-23-2023
You are talking what may be just 9mos. of living expenses in New Jersey. It's really not even a factor and kind of silly to hang your hat onto.

It's not like he is setting down roots, buying a house, etc in New Jersey. I'm sure the increase of living expenses, even if it is a couple hundred thousand is minimal if the contract was substantially more than the Chiefs offered.
Umm...no. it's double, maybe triple.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 09:55 AM 03-23-2023
Umm...no. it's double, maybe triple.
You're just not making any sense and you just can't see it. The living expenses for a few months is a non factor.

It's okay, you are wrong about what Hardman would do. You think in your head that your idea of what is best for him is actually best for him. That's just plain silly.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:19 AM 03-23-2023
Yeah, but he can sell his car and take the subway to work.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:23 AM 03-23-2023
Don't fool yourself. Players chase the biggest paycheck they possibly can. Don't look down on that like it is something icky. It's not.

There are a very few number of players that may chase a championship in the moonlight of their career. Definitely not in the prime earning years of their playing career.
I agree about them chasing the highest paycheck as they should. It’s definitely not icky and I would do the same thing if I was in their spot. I never understood people expecting players to take a hometown discount out of loyalty. I do know many chase rings at the end, especially if they haven’t earned one.

I am not even hating on Hardman jumping ship to the NYJ. I just question if that was the best decision for him long term as he might get buried on their depth chart.
[Reply]
Reroka 10:24 AM 03-23-2023
He is going to a wideout room that is deep. I do not see him getting as much use as he thinks he is going to get.

Congrats to him on a nice payday, He wont sniff the playoffs.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 23
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Up