ChiliConCarnage 09:44 AM 07-08-2017
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-tariff-threat

I think Hog Farmer is in on X. This sounds like a nice win for NUE, etc
[Reply]
lewdog 10:43 AM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-tariff-threat

I think Hog Farmer is in on X. This sounds like a nice win for NUE, etc
I got some X stocks at $21 when it took a dip early this year. I think Hog Farmer is loaded with X stock though. Loaded.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:20 AM 07-08-2017
Brokerage is like E-trade right? How do you claim your losses and wins on your taxes. Like if I lost money through bitcoin.
[Reply]
lewdog 11:55 AM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
Brokerage is like E-trade right? How do you claim your losses and wins on your taxes. Like if I lost money through bitcoin.
It only becomes an actual tax consequence if you sell it, making it a realized loss. If you continue to hold onto the losing stock into the new tax year, it means nothing for your taxes.

If you sell, you should receive a 1099-B form with loses and gains.

Your income tax bracket matters. If you are in the 10 or 15% tax bracket, you are not liable for any taxes on capital gains.

Read more: Here's How to Deduct Your Stock Losses From Your Tax Bill |

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...r-tax-bill.asp
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:22 PM 07-08-2017
Thanks. Fuck that bit coin thread btw
[Reply]
lewdog 12:23 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
Thanks. Fuck that bit coin thread btw
:-)

You haven't sold have you? Depending on how much you actually put in, I might just ride it out for shits and giggles.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:39 PM 07-08-2017
Yeah I sold mine because I am ignorant. I wanted to see I got my money back and I saw that you are paying 3 dollars to buy and sell. I still have money Etheruem. So I am learning. I want to try etrade to get used to it.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:41 PM 07-08-2017
One thing I like about Edward Jones is that I am less likely to go through the hassle of withdrawing because I would feel stupid. So I am less likely to take money out of a roth.
[Reply]
RunKC 07:16 AM 07-11-2017
Met with a financial advisor to talk about my 401k. I'm upping my contribution from 6% to 7 and most likely 8 next year.

Didn't realize that 43% of my 401k was in the company's stock and was actually down for the year.
I think I'm going to roll with a target date fund as it seems more conservative and better planned out. 53% is in that but I'm strongly considering adding far more than 53%.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 08:45 AM 07-11-2017
Being honest with TD Ameritrade makes things boring. Can't short anything and can't take options positions that aren't covered.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:04 AM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Met with a financial advisor to talk about my 401k. I'm upping my contribution from 6% to 7 and most likely 8 next year.

Didn't realize that 43% of my 401k was in the company's stock and was actually down for the year.
I think I'm going to roll with a target date fund as it seems more conservative and better planned out. 53% is in that but I'm strongly considering adding far more than 53%.
Right. You should be able to do that no problem. They can't force you to put 401k into company stock. You can thank Enron for the regulations.

I wouldn't do more than 10. They had that at Cabela's when I was there and I figured if they were doing that well, I would be able to extract more money from them through payroll rather than 401k. Whether that's right or not, I don't know. They also had an ESPP that I could get stock at a discount, so I did do some of that.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:30 AM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Target date funds are boring, but as long as they're managed reasonably well, they're a great option. For a while, I just did 100% in a target date fund and left it alone. In theory, that's how they're actually designed to work. If you have a portfolio where you have other stuff going on, it technically messes with your overall allocations. Not a big deal, but I wouldn't ever do like 25% in a target date and then a bunch of other stuff - it defeats the purpose.

Just make sure that the fees (expense ratios) are reasonable. You really shouldn't be paying more than 1% in fees, so if it's much higher than that, you might want to reconsider your options.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:15 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Being honest with TD Ameritrade makes things boring. Can't short anything and can't take options positions that aren't covered.
I'm noticing the same thing.

I wrote them and they have a section where you can apply for higher tier status for options trading other than covered calls. Might require like $2k in a money market it looks like.
[Reply]
scho63 05:45 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I'm noticing the same thing.

I wrote them and they have a section where you can apply for higher tier status for options trading other than covered calls. Might require like $2k in a money market it looks like.

No brokerage firm allows average investors to take unlimited loss positions with shorting stocks or naked call writing without substantial equity of usually $250,000.

Not unusual.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 06:56 PM 07-11-2017
I moved to all treasuries in my IRA

Market gonna correct big time

I'll go back in and buy your shares at a discount
[Reply]
Page 72 of 934
« First < 22626869707172 7374757682122172572 > Last »
Up