« First < 196596646686692693694695696 697698699700706746796 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
neech 01:57 PM 07-01-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Where are the BNGO bag holders?!?!?!
I have some but sold about 20 percent to hold onto the gains a week or so ago like you teach us to do Lewdog.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:57 PM 07-01-2021
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
The basis of the strategy is selling naked, out of the money puts on margin.
There were definitely mistakes made in this process and room for refinement.
For example, there have been some periods of inactivity due to my inability to find adequate return versus risk.
Also included as a loss, I was selling in the money vixy puts as a hedge and did not include the remaining balance of vixy I am holding in the return. I do not feel vixy tracks with volatility in a timely or sufficient manner to be an effective hedge.
There were certainly periods where I was testing my risk tolerance, but due diligence and the ability to roll effectively has built up my confidence that the strategy is not going to bankrupt me lol
Jesus. How to you find underwear strong enough to hold your brass balls?!
[Reply]
banyon 03:43 PM 07-01-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Yeah, but that's not what I am referring to in regards to editing a watch list. I would like to include stock rating (bull vs. bear), last note added to a stock symbol, etc.
I have my IRA in Fidelity and it’s fine for that. For my watchlist I have $100 that I rarely trade sitting in a TOS TD acct that I just basically use them for their app and use that as a watchlist.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 04:18 PM 07-01-2021
While I appreciate the sentiment, people being risk averse is why I am able to reap strong returns, and I find confidence in the ability to roll and the underlying prices I am selling versus the value of the company from a financial perspective.

My biggest risk is margin call, so I leave a healthy buying power buffer to absorb positions turning against me. I also ensure that I can take on any one position I enter with straight cash and vary expirations (to mitigate assignment risk). However, I will end up leveraged up to 4-5x underlying value by running multiple positions.

I accept that a catastrophic event like a -20-30% market-wide week might break me; however, if volatility is up, you can roll a lot further down to reduce margin requirements - plus my hope is that in that situation I can liquidate my vixy position to buy me enough breathing room to avoid forced liquidation and ruin.

The biggest trouble I have gotten into is when not sufficiently diversifying the sectors I am selling in. Admittedly, I haven't really experienced full leverage and full blown crisis yet, and this market has proven resilient, so rolling down and out has been effective in preventing losses. I have taken shares a handful of times - and generally sell calls at or above my price taken until they go away. I haven't lost money yet in any given position - but have incurred opportunity cost losses, if you will, from extending positions by rolling down and out.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 04:37 PM 07-01-2021
Originally Posted by banyon:
I have my IRA in Fidelity and it’s fine for that. For my watchlist I have $100 that I rarely trade sitting in a TOS TD acct that I just basically use them for their app and use that as a watchlist.
Got my Roth with Fidelity as well. Added an individual account to invest into some growth mutual funds and now I'm adding / building a portfolio. What's funny is that the watch lists in the mobile app almost give me everything I want as far as info on the stocks.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:16 PM 07-01-2021
While I appreciate the sentiment, people being risk averse is why I am able to reap strong returns, and I find confidence in the ability to roll and the underlying prices I am selling versus the value of the company from a financial perspective.

My biggest risk is margin call, so I leave a healthy buying power buffer to absorb positions turning against me. I also ensure that I can take on any one position I enter with straight cash and vary expirations (to mitigate assignment risk). However, I will end up leveraged up to 4-5x underlying value by running multiple positions.

I accept that a catastrophic event like a -20-30% market-wide week might break me; however, if volatility is up, you can roll a lot further down to reduce margin requirements - plus my hope is that in that situation I can liquidate my vixy position to buy me enough breathing room to avoid forced liquidation and ruin.

The biggest trouble I have gotten into is when not sufficiently diversifying the sectors I am selling in. Admittedly, I haven't really experienced full leverage and full blown crisis yet, and this market has proven resilient, so rolling down and out has been effective in preventing losses. I have taken shares a handful of times - and generally sell calls at or above my price taken until they go away. I haven't lost money yet in any given position - but have incurred opportunity cost losses, if you will, from extending positions by rolling down and out.
Sounds like a high leverage, high risk wheel strategy to a point. The goal is obviously to keep selling puts and avoid getting assigned. correct?

One question I get from people on varying trading strategies is if you are doing it full-time or working? Many of my strategies are designed to be useful from a time management perspective while also valuing risk management since I cannot watch the market all day in real-time. Many new traders are learning/reading about strategies that maybe can't be accomplished by someone with a full-time job.

Thank you for sharing.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 05:33 PM 07-01-2021
Doubled my position in AMC today
[Reply]
crispystl 06:28 PM 07-01-2021
Seriously. I don't know JACK SHIT about trading naked OTM put options (on margin too?) , but I know enough to know I would never have the balls for that!
[Reply]
crispystl 06:31 PM 07-01-2021

Also, I wasn't making fun of you or anything like that. Indeed sir, I also commend your brass bullocks! I sincerely hope everyone on here makes a fortune.
[Reply]
Captain Obvious 06:39 PM 07-01-2021
Any smart people want to educate me/us on reverse splits?

I bought 166 shares of STAF @ 0.57 on a whim yesterday. When I checked today, I had a message saying they performed a 1 for 6 reverse split. Now I had 27 shares at 3.44.

I just looked and it's up 52% after hours and is sitting at $5.64. What a windfall, eh?

Is this typical of reverse splits? Seems odd to me, but I'll admit to being a major noob.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:26 PM 07-01-2021
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious:

I bought 166 shares of STAF @ 0.57 on a whim yesterday. When I checked today, I had a message saying they performed a 1 for 6 reverse split. Now I had 27 shares at 3.44.

I just looked and it's up 52% after hours and is sitting at $5.64. What a windfall, eh?

Is this typical of reverse splits? Seems odd to me, but I'll admit to being a major noob.
Not familiar with the stock but nearly every reverse split I've witnessed did not turn out well. I'd get a stop loss on that sucker.

BTW congrats on making $50
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:49 PM 07-01-2021

So you had 166 shares at .57. A 1 for 6 reverse split means that you now have 1/6 the number of shares at 6 times the price, so the value is the same. It's usually done because the stock is about to be de-listed because the price is too low. I generally pay no attention to splits or reverse splits.

Nice after-hours boost, though.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:07 PM 07-01-2021

Generally done for companies in trouble. Not sure on the after hours bounce but this generally isn't a financially solid company/move. But it can be done in an attempt to get listed on an exchange as well (possibly a positive outcome).
[Reply]
scho63 09:29 AM 07-02-2021

Reverse splits FAIL 95% of the time. They are NEGATIVE not positive.

Normal splits of 3:1 or 5:4 or 2:1 indicate a growing strong company.

Reverse splits are the OPPOSITE of forward splits and also the opposite in terms of success.
[Reply]
scho63 09:30 AM 07-02-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Doubled my position in AMC today
Up to 2 shares! I'm impressed :-)
[Reply]
Page 696 of 934
« First < 196596646686692693694695696 697698699700706746796 > Last »
Up