ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 103 of 171
« First < 3539399100101102103 104105106107113153 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
frozenchief 12:46 PM 02-07-2022
I enjoyed the new Reacher series on Amazon Prime. I've read a few Reacher books on airplanes or beaches. This series seems pretty faithful to the series and is a lot better than the movie with Tom Cruise.

Good way to kill a few hours but it's admittedly not deep or sophisticated or nuanced or meaningful.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 02:53 PM 02-07-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
It's crazy good. That show keeps humming.

Gomorrah season 5 now on HBO Max.
We’re halfway through it. Good so far. But I think we should have watched The Immortal movie between seasons 2 and 3.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:21 PM 02-07-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Were you guys aware this is a satire series?
:-):-):-)The mail box and the wine corks

Had almost finished the first episode and decided it was a chick flick and bailed.

Glad you made your post. thanks:-)
[Reply]
Miles 06:49 PM 02-07-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I watched In From the Cold. Ex Russian Spy made a life in America and gets recruited to help the CIA. I wanted to like it. I really REALLY did. I loved the Americans, the chick looked hot. Production value looked good. Hoooo boy was it dumb. It did a few things right, I enjoyed most of the action, the acting of the 90's Berlin stuff was fairly compelling. I didn't hate the performance of the CIA guy and the IT guy.

But I was all the way out during the
Spoiler!
in the first episode. Hung in there hoping it would come around. I was pretty into it when she went

Spoiler!

But then

Spoiler!

I'm sure they want that thing to make a second season. I'm probably out.
I had pretty much the same experience. Tried the first episode and it was reminding me of show like Alias and not too bad. Then I got to the dumb as hell first spoiler…
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 03:19 AM 02-08-2022
Anyone catch euphoria this week? I’m surprised Rue didn’t break an ankle.
[Reply]
BlackOp 05:20 PM 02-08-2022
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
Anyone catch euphoria this week? I’m surprised Rue didn’t break an ankle.
I haven't...but season two has had some good directorial moments...another A24 series.

The Church scene was nicely executed...great use of music in this series.

Going to watch it tonight...
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:56 PM 02-08-2022
So is Euphoria a good watch? I thought it looked like a chick flick. Not a hard and fast position, just first glance scrolling by.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:55 PM 02-08-2022
So is Euphoria a good watch? I thought it looked like a chick flick. Not a hard and fast position, just first glance scrolling by.
It's highly stylized and very youth drama, but there isn't a lot out there that can compete with its bluntness and occasional beauty.

Chick flick might fit it, but it's a little grimier and more raw than a 'girlie' show.

Did you see 'Kids' when it came out? Or the British show 'Skins' more recently.

Basically up to date exploration and dramatization of navigating the perils of being a modern teen, drinking, drugs, sex, parties, betrayals, trying to fit in, being ostrasized, fucking up, paying the consequences, etc.

But what sets it apart is the execution. A lot of the drama is set by the cinematography and blocking. Some frames are literally a work of art. And the music and voiceovers and flashbacks and imagery are all very evocative.

It's heightened in much the same way being a near-adult teen is heightened, more dramatic, more consequential, more devastating, etc.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:53 PM 02-08-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
It's highly stylized and very youth drama, but there isn't a lot out there that can compete with its bluntness and occasional beauty.

Chick flick might fit it, but it's a little grimier and more raw than a 'girlie' show.

Did you see 'Kids' when it came out? Or the British show 'Skins' more recently.

Basically up to date exploration and dramatization of navigating the perils of being a modern teen, drinking, drugs, sex, parties, betrayals, trying to fit in, being ostrasized, fucking up, paying the consequences, etc.

But what sets it apart is the execution. A lot of the drama is set by the cinematography and blocking. Some frames are literally a work of art. And the music and voiceovers and flashbacks and imagery are all very evocative.

It's heightened in much the same way being a near-adult teen is heightened, more dramatic, more consequential, more devastating, etc.
I’ll give it a look. Thanks. I didn’t see Skins or kids.

I did, however enjoy (shamefully) Sex Lives of College Girls. That is assuredly much lighter than Euphoria, but maybe I won’t hate the subject matter as much as I’m anticipating.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 09:26 PM 02-08-2022
Watch Good Girls instead.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:22 AM 02-09-2022
Did you see 'Kids' when it came out?
Yeah...I thought the same. Not as raw/dry as Larry Clark...but Kids two decades later...

It's not a "nice" show...might be more comparable to Spring Breakers....which was directed by Harmony Korine....who wrote Kids. That's a great movie too...

If you liked Kids...you would probably dig Mid90s...another A24 gem. Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross (NIN) did the soundtrack...
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:44 PM 02-09-2022
Not looking up previous conversations on this, but I know they're somewhere in this thread, . . . anyway TWO WEEKS, fellas. . . .

[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 04:45 PM 02-09-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Watch Good Girls instead.
Already have.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:16 PM 02-09-2022
Not looking up previous conversations on this, but I know they're somewhere in this thread, . . . anyway TWO WEEKS, fellas. . . .

eDave and lewdog got me hooked on this one.

Oh, boy. Never watched a season 'live' before.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:18 PM 02-09-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
We’re halfway through it. Good so far. But I think we should have watched The Immortal movie between seasons 2 and 3.
Wow. Saw your post yesterday and immediately watched The Immortal. Excellent. I actually think that's best watched after season 5 episode 1 when he finds out the truth.
[Reply]
Page 103 of 171
« First < 3539399100101102103 104105106107113153 > Last »
Up