ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 34 of 84
« First < 243031323334 3536373844 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>*** 2022 Mock Draft Megathread ***
duncan_idaho 12:45 PM 11-23-2021
Got a mock? Pop it in this thread. Include a picture if you want. Explain your reasoning if you want. Talk about your crushes... if you want.

See a good "pro" mock? Link it up in here and I'll add it to the OP.

Duncan's latest mock

Site
The Draft Network This mock seems to be the most accurate site right now, so I go with this one. I don't pay for it, so no trades here. The plan is for this to be my last mock. I'm going to do it differently, though. I'm running 3 scenarios, and eschewing the 7th round picks, which I would use on a big swings on athleticism and potential. Lotto tickets. James Houston IV is one of them. Note: I used PFF to simulate the trade action, then manually backed up in the 2 "trade" drafts to make selections. Laborious, but gives you best of both worlds, IMO. I think PFF's trade tool is the best, but its board is whack.

Draft slot: 29

Scenario 1: The Chiefs sit pat with their picks and don't make any moves at all. Seems the least likely, but hey...
1.29 | George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue.
1.30 | Boye Mafe, DE, Minnesota.
2.50 | George Pickens, WR, Georgia.
2.62 | Travis Jones, DT, UConn.
3.94 | Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State.
3.103(Comp for Poles) | Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State.
4.121 | Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati.
4.135 | Velus Jones, Jr., Tennessee

Scenario 1 Debrief:
So, sitting and waiting to see what comes to me was pretty successful here. The Chiefs FLOOD the defensive line with reinforcements, including at least 1 ready-made starter and two guys who should - at minimum - be in 50/50 rotations at their spots by year end. The Chiefs still get a big outside WR with tantalizing potential. They add some crazy athletic small-school guys, and a mid-round corner who just fits in the system, and a dynamo return man who might be more at WR.

This looks pretty good. Though I have a hard time believing Karlaftis just falls to 29...

Scenario 2: The Chiefs get aggressive and trade up. But for what? In this case, let's go wide receiver. In this run, Kansas City trades picks 29, 62, and a 2023 3rd to Houston for pick 13 and a 2023 4th, because they ARE as obsessed with a WR as people expect and are aggressive to go get him when the board falls right. They then trade BACK from 30 to 35 with the Jets, also including pick 94 in order to get 69 back. Then, last but not least, KC gets aggressive one more time and moves 103 and 121 for 85 from New England, leaving the Chiefs with 6 picks in the first four rounds.
1.13 | Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama.
2.35 | Cam Thomas, DE, San Diego State.
2.50 | Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor.
3.69 | Zachary Carter, DT, Florida.
3.85 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
4.135 | Jaylen Watson, CB, Washington State

Scenario 2 Debrief:
I'm not saying KC should do this or even that I think they will (more on that in a few minutes). I'm just saying, man, what will it look like if the Chiefs get aggressive a few times AND are doing the big move for a WR? In this scenario, KC obviously believes Williams is a game-changer at the NFL level and is taking a small 2022 hit to make 2023+ better. The defensive line still gets reinforced, but the reinforcements are all a shade worse than the sit-pat draft option. If you like Kingsley Enagbare or Josh PAscal more than Thomas, I get it and wouldn't quibble at one of those guys instead. Logan Hall, too. Pitre is such a screaming perfect fit for KC's D. Carter is a great physical talent you can dream about coaching up. Williams' utility is known and gives them a true RE option to pair against their higher-drafted bigger guy. Watson is a developmental corner.

I don't love it. I think Pitre makes the secondary a lot better and makes it easier to move on from Thornhill after 22. They have improved the defensive rotation, though one of the DEs would need to outperform expectations in Year 1 to get it to the same level as Scenario 1. In all, giving up the 2 extra selections in the top 4 rounds hurts the depth you can build, but I think it's more like what KC will do.

Scenario 3: Same movements as #2
1.13 | Jermaine Johnson II, DE, Florida State.
2.35 | Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State.
2.50 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
3.69 | Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati.
3.85 | Martin Emerson, CB, Miss. State.
4.135 | Braxton Jones, T, Southern Utah

Scenario 3 Debrief:
This is the type of situation where I see KC paying the price to move up... if Johnson falls this far, I'd be shocked if KC isn't aggressively moving up. With this run, I take a risky but high upside WR in Watson (but you could sub in Pickens or Jahan Dotson or Tolbert or Metchie or Skyy Moore or really any of those tier 2 guys here if you prefer). The secondary reinforcements aren't flashy but are good fits.

In this one, I think the plan has to become adding either another safety or corner in free agency before the season. Ideally, it's someone who can handle the slot and let Sneed thriver on the outside. The DL gets a major boost and some potential star power in Johnson and Williams, and the OL gets another T option and potential long-term starter to develop.

Having completed the exercise and looking at the scenariors, I like the first one the most. But it really does come down to how the board breaks.

Older mocks
Spoiler!

[Reply]
staylor26 09:36 PM 03-27-2022
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
I don’t see us taking 12 picks. Where will the trade be?
1st or 2nd.
[Reply]
kcbubb 09:43 PM 03-27-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
1st or 2nd.
More specific? What’s your guess?
[Reply]
BossChief 09:47 PM 03-27-2022
Well balanced

Drake London
WR USC
KC

Kaiir Elam
CB Florida
KC

Boye Mafe
EDGE Minnesota
KC

Cameron Thomas
EDGE San Diego State
KC

Quay Walker
LB Georgia
KC

Calvin Austin III
WR Memphis
KC

Zyon McCollum
CB Sam Houston State
KC

John Ridgeway
DT Arkansas
KC

Mike Rose
LB Iowa State
KC

Jermaine Waller
CB Virginia Tech
KC

Eyioma Uwazurike
DT Iowa State
KC

Connor Heyward
RB Michigan State
[Reply]
BossChief 09:58 PM 03-27-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
1st or 2nd.
I know we have a ton of picks already, but I can still see Veach trading down to get more picks. This is a deep draft in a lot of positions we have needs at and if we’re able to move down with a team looking for a QB with a 5th year option and are willing to pay a premium to move up, I’m sure Veach would love to add a couple more picks in the sweet spot of this draft.

Veach sees how much these average players are getting now and knows that he needs as many quality players on rookie deals as he can get to help with the cap.

After all, we only have 22 players under contract in 2023 and 2 of them are Chris Jones and Frank Clark…so you see me loading up on front 4 guys and WRs in my mocks. Especially when this draft is deep at positions that are very expensive in FA. I can see Veach tying or maybe even breaking the record for draft picks made in one draft at 14.
[Reply]
kcbubb 10:04 PM 03-27-2022
I’d actually like to see us move up from 29 to 23 and grab one of the top wrs. And then maybe trade down from 30 to the late 30s or early 40s and target David ojabo and pick up another pick. I’m not sure if that’s possible but maybe a qb hungry team wants to move up?

Originally Posted by BossChief:
I know we have a ton of picks already, but I can still see Veach trading down to get more picks. This is a deep draft in a lot of positions we have needs at and if we’re able to move down with a team looking for a QB with a 5th year option and are willing to pay a premium to move up, I’m sure Veach would love to add a couple more picks in the sweet spot of this draft.

Veach sees how much these average players are getting now and knows that he needs as many quality players on rookie deals as he can get to help with the cap.

After all, we only have 22 players under contract in 2023 and 2 of them are Chris Jones and Frank Clark…so you see me loading up on front 4 guys and WRs in my mocks. Especially when this draft is deep at positions that are very expensive in FA. I can see Veach tying or maybe even breaking the record for draft picks made in one draft at 14.

[Reply]
kcbubb 10:07 PM 03-27-2022
Maybe the Seahawks would want to move up from 40 to 30 to get in front of the lions at 32 to get a qb? What would it cost the Seahawks to make that move?
[Reply]
Dante84 12:43 AM 03-28-2022
I can’t stop crushing on Treylon Burks.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:07 AM 03-28-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Why? He'll be good at best.

He doesn't have the explosive 10 yard burst like Tamba & Jared. He pushed around "light in the pants " OTs.

If you want a "try hard" white dude go for Cam Thomas.
Sorry man but that's just not true. The B1G has some of the best offensive lines in football and some massive ones too like Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Often, Karlaftis was a man amongst boys, pushing around 330lb guys like they were sandbags.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:11 AM 03-28-2022
I like Karlaftis but I wouldn’t trade up to the mid teens to get him. Same with Mafe. They’re good but not “trade a bunch of picks to move up” good.

Would definitely trade up if they make it to the 20’s though

If the Chiefs are using a lot of picks to trade up for anyone they need to be an elite prospect with little flaws. Someone like Jermaine Johnson or Garrett Willson IMO
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:16 AM 03-28-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I like Karlaftis but I wouldn’t trade up to the mid teens to get him. Same with Mafe. They’re good but not “trade a bunch of picks to move up” good.

Would definitely trade up if they make it to the 20’s though

If the Chiefs are using a lot of picks to trade up for anyone they need to be an elite prospect with little flaws. Someone like Jermaine Johnson or Garrett Willson IMO
I'm not a big fan of trading away a ton of these picks. I don't mind moving up but there's just so much depth in this draft...
[Reply]
RunKC 09:54 AM 03-28-2022
Rd 1 Jameson Williams WR Bama
Rd 1 Sam Williams DE Ole Miss
Rd 2 Perrion Winfrey DT OU
Rd 2 Jalen Pitre Baylor
Rd 3 Jaylon Armour-Davis Bama

I would die of an aneurism if this happened. Dear God
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:56 AM 03-28-2022
29. Treylon Burks, WR Arkansas
30. David Ojabo, EDGE Michigan
50. Sam Williams, EDGE Mississippi
62. Travis Jones, DT Connecticut
94. Calvin Austin III, WR Memphis
103. Troy Andersen, LB Montana State
121. Zyon McCollum, CB Sam Houston State
135. Pierre Strong Jr., RB South Dakota State
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:08 PM 03-28-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
29. Treylon Burks, WR Arkansas
30. David Ojabo, EDGE Michigan
50. Sam Williams, EDGE Mississippi
62. Travis Jones, DT Connecticut
94. Calvin Austin III, WR Memphis
103. Troy Andersen, LB Montana State
121. Zyon McCollum, CB Sam Houston State
135. Pierre Strong Jr., RB South Dakota State
This is exactly where I'm at.

There's so many DL prospects to choose from at 50 and 62, I find myself always using one of the 1st rounders on a WR.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 01:12 PM 03-28-2022
29. Kaiir Elam CB, Florida
30. David Ojabo EDGE, Michigan
36. Skyy Moore WR, Western Michigan
74. Drake Jackson EDGE, USC
80. Sam Williams EDGE, Ole Miss
103. Kerby Joseph S, Illinois
121. Alec Pierce WR, Cincinnati
243. Myron Cunningham OT, Arkansas
251. Zonovan Knight RB, NC State
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:17 PM 03-28-2022
If they play this draft board right, we're going to load up.
[Reply]
Page 34 of 84
« First < 243031323334 3536373844 > Last »
Up