ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 57 of 57
« First < 7475354555657
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
raybec 4 03:51 PM 10-04-2023
Any advice on over wintering my strawberries? I have a small patch of about 30 plants. Do they need to be covered all winter or do I just trim the dead stuff going into spring?
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:09 AM 03-09-2024
My aloe needs to calm TF down before they catch an indecent exposure charge

They're super excited for spring

[Reply]
bdj23 11:39 AM 03-09-2024
Anyone got an idea on how to deal with blight? Last year we (my wife) accidentally bought some spray to deal with it for non fruit bearing plants. Needless to say with her being pregnant we basically 86'd our small crop.

I've read this shit lives in soil and comes out in wet, damp climate. Can you treat the soil beforehand, or should i cave in and move the garden to a new spot? I know they make chemicals for food bearing plants too.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:41 AM Today
Lots of blooms happening with this mild AZ spring we've had. Most blooms I've had on the plumeria.

Iris

Pomegranate tree

Canna Lily

[Reply]
myselff77 07:02 AM Today
That iris is really cool. Is it a particular kind?
[Reply]
tooge 07:57 AM Today
Everything is in. 6 raised beds total. Three are fenced in to keep critters out. Those that aren't have onions, taters, asparagus, butternut squash and zuccini. Those that are fenced have tomatoes, peppers, okra, tomatillos, green beans, and carrots. Now just gotta wait.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:50 AM Today
I built a raised bed for my tomatoes and peppers this year. I finally found a great spot in my front yard last year, the back is just too shady. But you hit clay fairly shallow in that area, so I built the raised bed to give me another foot or so of depth.

Now I just need to fill it in with dirt and other material so I can plant. I'm planning on some compost, manure and top soil to fill it in. I'll turn the existing soil into all that and should have a pretty good place to grow.

Any suggestions on what else to mix in with the soil that's good for tomatoes?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:05 AM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Had to cut down my Ash tree yesterday.

Fuck you, emerald ash borers.

Guess I'll put in a pin oak to get a decent, hardy, fast growing shade tree back there. I really liked that Ash tree, though. Crap on a stick.
Went with a Prairie Stature oak.

I'm just a fan of white oaks; always have been. Acorns looked cool, really pretty leaves with those rounded white oak lobes. And an oak that gets red coloration in the leaves in the fall is pretty slick.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:11 AM Today
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
Its a bloody shame about Ash Trees. I lost 5 in my yard.
My replacement trees so far:
I needed to be very selective as my area can flood the yard.
Kentucky Coffee Tree
Swamp Oak
Honey Locust
Blaze Maple
River Birch

The Honey Locust are really struggling. I don't think the soil conditions are correct for it because I had one already fail and replaced under warranty.
People plant Honey Locusts? God almighty - the number of those I've cut down at the farm is just beyond count. The things go wild out there. As fun as those giant ass thorns are, they gots to go. They will simply crowd out the stuff I want to live out there.

Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Our climates and soil types are remarkably different, but I put in a shamrock linden and I was amazed at how Hardy it was and surprised by how quick it grew.

Might look into some form of Linden tree.
I do like Lindens. Didn't want to deal with the pods but i really like that compact shape and smaller leaves. Most of them make that oval shape as well. You see them in parks around here and they do pretty well out here.

If I ever decide to take my maple out (because Maples just bore the hell out of me) I'll probably replace it with a Linden in the side yard out front.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:23 AM Today
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I built a raised bed for my tomatoes and peppers this year. I finally found a great spot in my front yard last year, the back is just too shady. But you hit clay fairly shallow in that area, so I built the raised bed to give me another foot or so of depth.

Now I just need to fill it in with dirt and other material so I can plant. I'm planning on some compost, manure and top soil to fill it in. I'll turn the existing soil into all that and should have a pretty good place to grow.

Any suggestions on what else to mix in with the soil that's good for tomatoes?
I'd probably try to test the pH of the soil. I don't know what the acidity tolerance of tomatoes are, but I'm sure it's googleable.

If your pH is low, lime. If you have clay under there, organic matter is your friend. Id get into the clay as much as you're tough enough to do and mix in some 50/50 manure and something like sawdust and cedar chips. And then do your topsoil/manure whatever mix for your bed. Organic matter is your friend in clay.

I'd also plant some sort of brassica in the fall when you're done. If you can get roots to penetrate it, you'll gain a shitload of water infiltration in wet spells.

God fucking clay.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:24 AM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
People plant Honey Locusts? God almighty - the number of those I've cut down at the farm is just beyond count. The things go wild out there. As fun as those giant ass thorns are, they gots to go. They will simply crowd out the stuff I want to live out there.

I do like Lindens. Didn't want to deal with the pods but i really like that compact shape and smaller leaves. Most of them make that oval shape as well. You see them in parks around here and they do pretty well out here.

If I ever decide to take my maple out (because Maples just bore the hell out of me) I'll probably replace it with a Linden in the side yard out front.
I'm jealous maples won't run out here because we have high pH. The calcium carbonate ties up iron and they get chlorotic really bad. And yet motherfuckers still chose to plant them. One in my GD yard. I want to cunt punt whomever did that.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:16 AM Today
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Lots of blooms happening with this mild AZ spring we've had. Most blooms I've had on the plumeria.

Iris

Pomegranate tree

Canna Lily

Are those from the Florida saplings?
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 11:21 AM Today
Lewdog if you ever get the chance you need to see Monet's gardens in Giverny, France
[Reply]
srvy 01:07 PM Today
Lake Mead's water level just dropped!

Thanks Lewdog
:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:31 PM Today
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'm jealous maples won't run out here because we have high pH. The calcium carbonate ties up iron and they get chlorotic really bad. And yet motherfuckers still chose to plant them. One in my GD yard. I want to cunt punt whomever did that.
That's because you live in a barren wasteland where no humanity should exist.

Just turn that shit over to the Buffalo...
[Reply]
Page 57 of 57
« First < 7475354555657
Up