« First < 365415455461462463464465 466467468469475515565 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 11:03 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Limited Throttled.

To ninerfan; I hear Fidelity is covering the Robinhood transfer fee of $75.
Most brokers will credit you the fee. At least once

Generally, you can get bonuses for moving your money around.
https://www.bankrate.com/investing/b...count-bonuses/
[Reply]
philfree 11:05 PM 01-28-2021
As long as interest is next to zero the market won't be down long. What are you going to do? Buy a CD for .5% or less?
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:43 AM 01-29-2021

[Reply]
MagicHef 02:29 PM 01-29-2021
Robinhood currently has a limit of 1 share of GME per account. I’m glad they opened up so much after yesterday.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:15 PM 01-29-2021
down 600 ....thanks Joe
[Reply]
eDave 04:34 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
down 600 ....thanks Joe
I get what you are trying to do here (again) but it's just not interesting to anybody, save a few who think as you do. Beyond that, it has no place here and literally everyone else has been able to refrain from your behavior.
[Reply]
scho63 05:12 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Robinhood currently has a limit of 1 share of GME per account. I’m glad they opened up so much after yesterday.
Sounds to me like they are trying to help the short sellers.....

Not sure what purpose this is serving. Calling it "protecting the little guy" is Bullshit. :-)

I wonder who called these guys and others and told them to throttle it down. Any other brokerages limiting buys in these 7-8 heavily shorted stocks?

GME, AMC, Nokia, Bed Bath, Blackberry, KOSS, and the other few
[Reply]
lewdog 05:37 PM 01-29-2021
Fuck Robinhood. I hope this sinks them.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:59 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
down 600 ....thanks Joe
I let it go once. Bye.
[Reply]
scho63 06:41 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Fuck Robinhood. I hope this sinks them.
They sure aren't acting like Robin Hood.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:09 PM 01-30-2021
EXAS should be on your radar.

Also, I bought AMC premarket last week for $850 and made $1k before my balls tucked inside my body and I sold. Appears to be a good choice so far. It's straight gambling at this point but it was kind of fun.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:05 AM 01-31-2021
So my kids (3 and 7) are getting some reasonable amounts of cash built up in their savings accounts. Not huge money, but I'm a total chode and haven't bought them any toys with a single cent that anyone has given them for baptism, birthday, Christmas, whatever.

So it's currently in a savings account earning dickall. I'm fairly strong in getting it into some kind of investment account, question is to what?

I know the trendy thing to do is a 529 plan, but there is a real discussion to be had about the future of college and my kids opportunities there. Unless something changes, probably structurally, I think there are very real chances my kids won't go. As a guy with a graduate degree, I hope they do, but it isn't in their best interest to go blow 100K on something they're not going to get a return on. Nonetheless, some flexibility might be a little better.

A standard investment account might be prudent, and probably what's going to happen, but if they indeed use it for college, paying, you know...TAX when they're in their second semester isn't appealing.

I tossed it to the wife that maybe we should start a Roth for the kids, even if they don't put any more in it until after college, they should have serious gains and a hell of a head start. She wasn't thrilled about the idea, thinking they couldn't get it out if they needed it. After 5 years they should be able to borrow the basis. Plus, I think there is some value in the fact there are barriers to exit. If my kids suck (hey, my sister exists), and I can't pass on anything, they'll still have something come retirement.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:14 AM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So my kids (3 and 7) are getting some reasonable amounts of cash built up in their savings accounts. Not huge money, but I'm a total chode and haven't bought them any toys with a single cent that anyone has given them for baptism, birthday, Christmas, whatever.

So it's currently in a savings account earning dickall. I'm fairly strong in getting it into some kind of investment account, question is to what?

I know the trendy thing to do is a 529 plan, but there is a real discussion to be had about the future of college and my kids opportunities there. Unless something changes, probably structurally, I think there are very real chances my kids won't go. As a guy with a graduate degree, I hope they do, but it isn't in their best interest to go blow 100K on something they're not going to get a return on. Nonetheless, some flexibility might be a little better.

A standard investment account might be prudent, and probably what's going to happen, but if they indeed use it for college, paying, you know...TAX when they're in their second semester isn't appealing.

I tossed it to the wife that maybe we should start a Roth for the kids, even if they don't put any more in it until after college, they should have serious gains and a hell of a head start. She wasn't thrilled about the idea, thinking they couldn't get it out if they needed it. After 5 years they should be able to borrow the basis. Plus, I think there is some value in the fact there are barriers to exit. If my kids suck (hey, my sister exists), and I can't pass on anything, they'll still have something come retirement.

It looks like Kansas' 529 plan may have limited uses, but you can start a 529 plan in Colorado's CollegeInvest program even if you don't live here, and it can be used for all sorts of skill training other than college. Per Colorado's site:

https://www.collegeinvest.org/529-sa...n-flexibility/

Our savings plans aren’t limited to just colleges or universities or graduate programs. Particularly in these times.

Your CollegeInvest account can be used at community colleges or trade schools, two-year nursing or medical technician programs, or a two-year online program on Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management. Even qualified special interest programs such as art schools, hair stylist and barber schools, chef or culinary schools, master plumber programs, and more.

How about a marine biology program in the Caribbean? Or a PGA qualifying school in Florida or Arizona?

Did we get your attention?

You don’t have to live in Colorado to open a CollegeInvest account. Nor does your child or student have to go to school in Colorado. Your savings can be used at an eligible school anywhere in country, and even some internationally.

“Eligible” means that the school participates in the federal loan program

However, I don't know if you would reap state tax advantages or not. They talk on the site about saving on Colorado state taxes, but don't mention what happens if you don't file your state taxes in Colorado. You'd have to check on that.

https://www.collegeinvest.org/529-sa...ax-advantages/
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:42 AM 01-31-2021
Great stuff. Thanks Rain.
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 06:29 AM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

I tossed it to the wife that maybe we should start a Roth for the kids

Your 3 and 7 year old have earned income?
[Reply]
Page 465 of 934
« First < 365415455461462463464465 466467468469475515565 > Last »
Up