ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 359 of 3903
« First < 259309349355356357358359 3603613623633694094598591359 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 09:59 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
"B" Stand for "Big"?
It does not. Conjugation of my name is the screen name.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:00 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Denver's restaurants are now closed for eight weeks to dine-in, but they're open for takeout. If you consider the risks of 30 seconds of takeout contact versus being in a grocery store for 30 minutes, takeout might actually be more secure. But dump the food out of the wrappers and containers before you eat.

At least, that's my thinking. Maybe I'm wrong, but the wife and I decided that we'd go do takeout on occasion during the eight weeks.
8 weeks? Holy shit.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:01 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Denver's restaurants are now closed for eight weeks to dine-in, but they're open for takeout. If you consider the risks of 30 seconds of takeout contact versus being in a grocery store for 30 minutes, takeout might actually be more secure. But dump the food out of the wrappers and containers before you eat.

At least, that's my thinking. Maybe I'm wrong, but the wife and I decided that we'd go do takeout on occasion during the eight weeks.
I guess I'm worried about people coughing on my food once it's about done being cooked the most.
[Reply]
Donger 10:02 AM 03-17-2020
It's fascinating that India only has 142 cases.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:04 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It's fascinating that India only has 142 cases.
Average temp there right now is over 80F.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:04 AM 03-17-2020
Stock exchanges will stay open but Secretary Goldman Sachs said they might shorten trading hours.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:07 AM 03-17-2020
Still am leery of takeout, mostly due to food quality when places are quiet and not necessarily from virus concerns, but a place near us that we like is matching any curbside pickup order from them with a gift card for the same amount. Seems too good to be true but I'll likely use the gift card to dine in and order 2 more drinks than I normally would.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:08 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
5300 posts brother - I ain't finding 'em all.

But I know oakland hater has and a couple other people have responded to suggestions of 'a national lockdown' with some version of 'extreme times, extreme measures...' If you don't believe there are several people in this thread (and honestly, I'm sure you're one of them) who are calling for martial law without realizing that's what they're calling for, I don't know what to tell you.

Again I ask you - what do you believe a 'national lockdown' is? A federally mandated, federally enforced edict from the government ordering you to stay in your homes.

Do you think the federal government has police powers? Don't answer, I'll just tell you - they don't. The Constitution does not grant the Federal Government the right to patrol the streets enforcing measures for the public health. That is specifically reserved to the states and that order (or enforcement) cannot by law come from on high. In order for the federal government to actively involve itself, they effectively HAVE to declare martial law.

If you can find a mechanism to enforce a national shutdown WITHOUT the imposition of martial law, I'd like to hear it. Within the boundaries of our Constitution, the most the federal government can do is encourage states to do it on their own (though they could tie federal aid to it if they wanted). If they attempt to do more than that, they would essentially have to suspend the Constitution.
I'm not going to get into politics in this thread for obvious reasons.

I don't have a problem admitting I indirectly advocated martial law. These are extreme circumstances and therefore extreme measures must be taken.

But I think you have to admit that people going out right now to bars, restaurants etc. and acting like there isn't a virus spreading that we current have no vaccine for is a little irresponsible and selfish. Something you failed to do in your post.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:08 AM 03-17-2020
How does Russia only have 93 cases?

That is less than Colorado for a comparison.
[Reply]
Donger 10:08 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Average temp there right now is over 80F.
As it is in Malaysia and Australia.
[Reply]
fan4ever 10:13 AM 03-17-2020
It's all that Curry.
[Reply]
MagicHef 10:13 AM 03-17-2020
Why did Hubei get hit so much harder than the rest of China? The lockdown they implemented was just Hubei, I believe.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:15 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
How does Russia only have 93 cases?

That is less than Colorado for a comparison.
More socially isolated from the rest of the world would be my guess, but tough to say.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:15 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
My worry is how quickly this overton window is shifting and how obviously that kind of thinking yields an even faster shift.

We have people in this very thread advocating martial law. Literal boots on the ground and ordering people back into their homes (and folks, the implication in that is gunpoint because how else does one compel adherence in a situation that dire?)

And it's worse on social media. People requesting genuinely authoritarian measures. And the problem with that is you have maybe 4-6 weeks of runway before this population (which is absolutely more defiant of...everyone...than pretty much any population in the world) looks around and says "y'know what, 80% of us aren't going to be impacted by this at all and we suddenly have troops in the streets ordering us into our homes? Fuck. This."

We can't just say "there's no such things as 'too much'" because it ignores the relatively near-term consequences. People will burn out on it. At that point you have one of 2 outcomes - people start ignoring directives outright or those directives becomes more and more harshly enforced (the former being more likely than the latter, which could easily serve to do more harm than good and simply push your 'spike' out a month or so).

Yes, you CAN do too much here. And to sit there and say "oh well, if it turns out we overreacted I guess we'll never know..." is to preemptively insulate yourself from ANY criticisms for decisions made that absolutely could've been hugely damaging to this nation. When concede that type of thinking, it gives decision-makers a pass and again, leads to the decision-lens ratcheting in only a single direction, towards ever increasing draconian measures. The overton window just continues to slide and slide and slide until 'normal' is "well at least they aren't making us execute our pets like Chernobyl. This is fine...."

I'm not saying that we should err on the side of caution, but we damn sure shouldn't just accept leaders going out there and saying "if we overreact...oh well...."

That's not acceptable either.
Yeah, the boredom and economic peril of a huge dispersed population with mostly minimal symptoms is going to boil over eventually.

Sometimes the hardest instructions for a can-do society is 'don't do.'
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:16 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I'm not going to get into politics in this thread for obvious reasons.

I don't have a problem admitting I indirectly advocated martial law. These are extreme circumstances and therefore extreme measures must be taken.

But I think you have to admit that people going out right now to bars, restaurants etc. and acting like there isn't a virus spreading that we current have no vaccine for is a little irresponsible and selfish. Something you failed to do in your post.
Except for when I said "just carrying on with your daily life like nothing is happening will get you shot in the chest instead of the back. This is here, things are different, act like it."

Of course I have said that there are people who are being irresponsible and selfish. There are ALWAYS people who are irresponsible and selfish. Everywhere. The answer for that is the same as it is for everyone that's being an asshole, you publicly shame them until they stop. And frankly, that requires public buy in. And if you want to lose that buy-in, just keep getting more and more extreme for longer and longer. See where that takes you.

But no, for a disease that will leave 80% of the infected unharmed (and thus likely 90% of the population), I'm not going to say "extreme measures must be taken" and start talking about putting troops on American soil to enforce federal mandates. That's batshit insane and its born of the very "well it's simply impossible for us to overreact" mindset that has taken over for far too many people.
[Reply]
Page 359 of 3903
« First < 259309349355356357358359 3603613623633694094598591359 > Last »
Up