ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 24 of 32
« First < 142021222324 25262728 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Royals Announce New Ballpark in "The Heart of Downtown KC"
Couch-Potato 08:07 AM 02-14-2024
What do you guys think about the new ballpark?

ESPN:
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bearcat 07:52 AM 03-22-2024
JetBlue loses billions of dollars over 5 years, cuts back services out of LAX, Fort Lauderdale, and cuts KC service.

People with an ax to grind:

from Imgflip Meme Generator

[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:14 AM 03-22-2024
https://flykc.com/newsroom/news-rele...ve-kci-airport

Lucas then:

“While we are always excited about new carriers, I am thrilled to welcome JetBlue as one of our partners at KCI," said Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas. "With new nonstops to New York and Boston, our flying public in Missouri, Kansas, and beyond will have more access to vital business and cultural offerings in the Northeast, more Royals victories in the American League East, and to JetBlue’s destination network. In 2017, Kansas City, Missouri made a commitment to an improved airport for our entire region. We’re proud to see our voters’ support bearing fruit. Expect more positive announcements as KCI and Kansas City government help lead our reopening and economic recovery.”

Lucas now: Crickets.....
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:23 AM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
JetBlue loses billions of dollars over 5 years, cuts back services out of LAX, Fort Lauderdale, and cuts KC service.

People with an ax to grind:

from Imgflip Meme Generator
Not the same thing
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:27 AM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Not the same thing
Not the one who said it... :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 08:49 AM 03-27-2024
Jackson County voters should probably listen to the experts.

Royals say a new stadium would create 26K jobs. Economists say it’s ‘a bunch of hot air’ https://t.co/ZJyUjble8r

— The Kansas City Star (@KCStar) March 26, 2024

[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:56 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Jackson County voters should probably listen to the experts.

Sadly too many people in JACO will give in to their threats SEVEN YEARS BEFORE THE LEASE IS UP.

I'm a "no" vote if for no other reason than the team's performance, but I'd be a "no" vote because it's WAAAY to early to be having this conversation AND because you don't have to be an accountant to understand the numbers are a little too unbelievable. If they weren't complete BS we'd have done this exact thing last time they renovated the TSC.

But again, too many JACO voters are afraid of the team moving, even is only over to the Kansas side of the line.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:58 AM 03-27-2024
If there's one publication that can be counted on for unbiased, objective reporting that doesn't have an ax to grind, it's the Star.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:04 AM 03-27-2024
If there's one publication that can be counted on for unbiased, objective reporting that doesn't have an ax to grind, it's the Star.
I prefer to get my voting cues directly from John Sherman personally
[Reply]
nychief 09:25 AM 03-27-2024
I just hope they preserve the crossroads, it's like Paris in the 20's over there.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:33 AM 03-27-2024
Some things I'm interested to see broken down but have never seen:

1. the city's earnings tax. If the stadium is downtown, I believe that would lead to the city gaining the 1% earnings tax on every dollar earned by a player during a game at the new stadium. So, for the Royals 81 home games, 1% of those checks for Royals players as well as 1% of the checks of every visiting player.

2. The number of employees downtown within walking distance of the stadium. I have several friends who are excited about the prospect of a Crossroads or East Village stadium, but especially Crossroads, because they can go to work, park in their work garage, and then walk or Uber or streetcar to the potential stadium site. Many of these folks work at employers that would buy season ticket passes for their company for entertaining guests and put butts in seats consistently that are not there now.

I'm voting Yes, regardless. Reasons:

1. I'm not tied to the current stadium and understand it's old and needs replacement. The "bad batch of concrete" thing is, unfortunately, a thing that happens at times.

I also don't think tailgating before a baseball game is really something that has to/needs to be supported, either, and the area the stadium is in is not enticing or easy to get to for out-of-town folks.

And finally, I believe the team when it says it will not be at the K past 2030. Voting "NO" isn't a vote to save the K. It's a temporary stay of execution, nothing more.

2. Moving the stadium into a more central location makes access for downtown employees and companies much more convenient and therefore likely.

3. Adding more events in the Crossroads/Power and Light area is good long-term for that entertainment district.

4. Keeping tax revenues from the teams in Jackson County is something I don't see evaluated or mentioned often, if at all, but there's a factor there as well. Even the 1% earnings tax is roughly $3M in revenue for the city (if you base it on average MLB salary, multiply it by 2 teams and base it on 81 home games).

5. I'm, in general, in favor of moves that move the city forward, and I think this is one of them.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:38 AM 03-27-2024
Good to know two PhDs who are experts in economics, one from Kennesaw State and the other from Smith College, have an "ax to grind" against KC sports teams.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:56 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Some things I'm interested to see broken down but have never seen:

1. the city's earnings tax. If the stadium is downtown, I believe that would lead to the city gaining the 1% earnings tax on every dollar earned by a player during a game at the new stadium. So, for the Royals 81 home games, 1% of those checks for Royals players as well as 1% of the checks of every visiting player.

4. Keeping tax revenues from the teams in Jackson County is something I don't see evaluated or mentioned often, if at all, but there's a factor there as well. Even the 1% earnings tax is roughly $3M in revenue for the city (if you base it on average MLB salary, multiply it by 2 teams and base it on 81 home games).
Good point. I don't think they're gaining it, but would of course lose it if they moved to Kansas or out of city limits. I could be wrong, but they're inside KCMO limits for that tax now?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:06 AM 03-27-2024
Good point. I don't think they're gaining it, but would of course lose it if they moved to Kansas or out of city limits. I could be wrong, but they're inside KCMO limits for that tax now?
The stadium is in KCMO currently, so yes, that's in place. So it would be more of a potential loss if they're outside the KCMO city limits.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:07 AM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Good to know two PhDs who are experts in economics, one from Kennesaw State and the other from Smith College, have an "ax to grind" against KC sports teams.
So, you're only naive when you agree with a story?

Maybe act like you disagree with the story and then tell me why what you said is bullshit.. :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:12 AM 03-27-2024
So, you're only naive when you agree with a story?

Maybe act like you disagree with the story and then tell me why what you said is bullshit.. :-)
The Star cited the source of a definitive, evidence-based and unbiased examination that proves stadium projects like this are a net negative to the economic welfare of a city which pays for them. Not only that, this source and another expert looked specifically at the Sherman and Hunt proposal and came to a conclusion which says their projections are complete hokum.

There's naiveté and then there's choosing to be ignorant.
[Reply]
Page 24 of 32
« First < 142021222324 25262728 > Last »
Up