ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 904 of 3903
« First < 404804854894900901902903904 905906907908914954100414041904 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
FAX 07:43 PM 03-29-2020
Prior to this virus, how many people died in NY each day?

Some sort of baseline would be useful.

FAX
[Reply]
Monticore 07:45 PM 03-29-2020
This thread is actually less pessimistic than the game day threads so we are doing better lol.
[Reply]
cdcox 07:46 PM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I don't recall any epidemiologist throwing such numbers around previously.
13/18 epidemiologists in this panel put their mean projected US death toll in 2020 at 100K or greater. A week before the same panel was projecting only a slightly smaller death toll.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...still-unclear/
[Reply]
eDave 07:46 PM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:

FAX
Not as many as you'd like dude. So keep praying in between handfulls of Cheeto's.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:47 PM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I'm gonna ask a personal question - just for some light discussion.

My girlfriend and I live together with her 2 kids. She works full time as a manager at Target. Her work recently has been working to unload their truck shipments and get the items on the shelves. She has very little contact with actual customers. She is being very careful about washing her hands, not touching her face, etc.

I work for a company that provides care for individuals with developmental disabilities. I work 20 hrs in office, and 20 hrs at home. I am in the homes I oversee once or twice a week, but not for very long. I don't see very many people on a daily basis.

The kids have it the worst. They're stuck at home. (They have YouTube, video games, etc). But they want to go outside and play. We've been taking them out to areas where there aren't many people around to ensure they are healthy too.

Are there any other precautions we should be taking? We have been dining out (picking up) at local restaurants a lot, but not getting out of the house any more than that. Going to the grocery store I guess but that's it.
That sounds like about all you can do. Keep the kids away from other kids.

get the kids to have some structure when they "go back to school"
[Reply]
petegz28 07:49 PM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:

FAX
A lot, dude. People are forgetting about those "life goes on" type moments like heart attacks, gun shots, strokes, car wrecks, the flu, diabetes, cancer, natural causes, etc.
[Reply]
Donger 07:49 PM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
13/18 epidemiologists in this panel put their mean projected US death toll in 2020 at 100K or greater. A week before the same panel was projecting only a slightly smaller death toll.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...still-unclear/
Right, and the poster claimed this:

100-200k is significantly less than some scary numbers that were thrown around

Nevermind, I read the link. Jeez.
[Reply]
FAX 07:50 PM 03-29-2020
I am clean out of Cheetos.

At 2:00am this morning, I found myself thinking of ingesting an orange pool noodle.

FAX
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 07:53 PM 03-29-2020
Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/polit...rus/index.html
[Reply]
Donger 07:53 PM 03-29-2020
I remember once having a discussion here about which Cheetos are superior:

Crunchy or Puffs.

I was horrified by the results.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:56 PM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I remember once having a discussion here about which Cheetos are superior:

Crunchy or Puffs.

I was horrified by the results.
Crunchy to think otherwise would be idiotic.
[Reply]
FAX 07:56 PM 03-29-2020
It is my firm belief that the Cheetos people sweep up the orange dust at the end of each shift then put the orange dust in little paper packets that are then included in the Kraft Mac & Cheese box.

Prove me wrong.

FAX
[Reply]
Donger 07:57 PM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Crunchy to think otherwise would be idiotic.
I weep for humanity.
[Reply]
2112 07:59 PM 03-29-2020
Thought this was interesting and didn’t see it posted

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dr-jon-...rus-infection/

Originally Posted by :
I hope you're all holding up as well as possible during this pandemic of COVID-19. I want to talk to you today about something that's been on my mind. I think it's very important, but it's not getting enough attention, and it has to do with testing.

I'm not talking about the nasal or throat swab that looks for evidence of active infection. I'm talking about something totally different. It's called a serology or antibody test. It's a simple blood test that looks for evidence of past infection.

Now, why is that so important? Well, it's very likely that a lot of us have already been infected with the coronavirus without even realizing it. We had few symptoms, or we had no symptoms.

And the reason why that's so important is that if we've already been infected, then the likelihood is, we have immunity. We're protected from further infection, at least for a few years if this is acting like other viruses have been in the past.

Well, those are people who could potentially go back to the front lines, to the workforce.

We're talking right now about this friction between "saving" the economy and treating COVID-19.

Well, we should be able to get our arms around both.

Technically, this is not hard to do. It's very similar to the kind of tests that's done all the time, looking for immunity to things like measles, mumps and rubella. But we have to want to do it. And we have to want to do it now.

That means cutting red tape. Adequately funding it, basically prioritizing it. It's not only important for figuring out who among us is adequately protected and can go back to work; don't we all want to know if we've already been infected and can just go about our daily lives?

And not only that, it's going to give us a better idea of community spread; how widely is the coronavirus spread throughout the country.

Finally, I know this is a very rough time. Our lives have been turned upside-down, and it's taxing every which way: physically, economically, emotionally. And I'm not trying to sugarcoat this. But remember about 80 percent of the time, people have relatively mild cases.

And I know I've said this before, but I've gotta repeat it again: This is going to have a beginning, a middle, and an end. We are going to get through this, I promise, and we're going to get through it together.

[Reply]
eDave 08:00 PM 03-29-2020
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DZXUuPtx2...2Bfor%2Bit.gif

You just missed Maria Carey. Elton John on now.
[Reply]
Page 904 of 3903
« First < 404804854894900901902903904 905906907908914954100414041904 > Last »
Up