ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 117 of 223
« First < 1767107113114115116117 118119120121127167217 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
cooper barrett 08:29 PM 05-27-2019
you should be proud at 7 feel bad at 6 any less than that take his wife while you're there

Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Is this a good deal?

https://springfield.craigslist.org/f...897852284.html
or this one for $200
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1665610107082983/
[Reply]
srvy 08:45 PM 05-27-2019
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
you should be proud at 7 feel bad at 6 any less take his wife while ou're there

or this one for $200
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1665610107082983/
This is a nice smoker for 500 bucks always liked The Good One Open Range. Looked at them several times at Smoke and Fire. Shipping from NY would kill the deal and im not driving to pick it up.

[Reply]
cooper barrett 08:56 PM 05-27-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
This is a nice smoker for 500 bucks always liked The Good One Open Range. Looked at them several times at Smoke and Fire. Shipping from NY would kill the deal and im not driving to pick it up.

Nice, acts like the trailer mount i use, i like but the drive will kill you.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:06 PM 05-27-2019
Is this a good deal?

https://springfield.craigslist.org/f...897852284.html
I'd aim to knock at least another $100 off
[Reply]
tooge 08:49 AM 05-28-2019
I wasn't looking for one until today...I'm doing a brisket on my WSM and just thought it'd be a lot easier/less work on a nice tuned offset.
Just my $.02, but if you are sticking with charcoal, you are already using the best smoker out there. I"ve used offsets, including the original Oklahoma Joes, which is our comp team party cooker on a trailer, and they just don't have the same ability to hold even temps for long times. I have a WSM and it outcooks every other charcoal cooker I've used.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 08:59 AM 05-28-2019
Originally Posted by tooge:
Just my $.02, but if you are sticking with charcoal, you are already using the best smoker out there. I"ve used offsets, including the original Oklahoma Joes, which is our comp team party cooker on a trailer, and they just don't have the same ability to hold even temps for long times. I have a WSM and it outcooks every other charcoal cooker I've used.
I sit here in the cheap seats shouting "PREACH IT BROTHER TOOGE AMEN!!!!!"

Dinny
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:37 AM 05-28-2019
The Ribs were excellent (there's a 3rd slab in there). I'd serve those at a restaurant - they were about perfect. And what the hell is the deal with St. Louis Style Spare Ribs and/or Baby Backs? That was all I could find. Took me forever to find a grocery store that carried whole slabs of spare ribs that hadn't been St. Louis trimmed. Fuck that noise - I want my spare ribs; baby backs are for people that eat barbecue at Applebees.

The burnt ends were...fine.

Obviously that was before I chopped them and re-fired them to get some good char on there.

The problem with the burnt ends was perhaps a butcher education issue. The party we were going to have was cancelled due to an AC breakdown, so I stepped in to host and said I'd take care of meat. Well that was Sunday and Sams didn't have any points for me on short notice. HyVee did, but they were small and just not marbled well at all. It was almost as though they were triangle shaped flats more than anything.

So I took them to 195 and rested them for 2 hours and they were still just kinda dry. I think the problem was that they were just too lean to do burnt ends with. Without enough marbling in there to make them really moist, I had to keep them pretty hot to keep them tender. They were excellent straight off the grate after I'd cubed/charred them, but in the 15-20 minutes or so it took for everyone to get food, they'd cooled and gotten dry and mediocre.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:58 AM 05-28-2019
A good cook on an offset is just a little bit better, IMO. I don't know why exactly, but if you can peg a cook on an offset, it's amazing. The problem is the amount of care/monitoring that has to go into it. If you have the time you need to closely watch that smoker and feed it right, you can create spectacular barbecue.

But most of us just don't have that kind of time. We're doing other stuff when the cook is happening and we need to be able to leave it alone for a few hours (for me, usually overnight). And for that cook, the WSM is just the tits. It creates food that's 90% as good as the off-set with FAR less risk.

Gimme 20 cooks on each style of smoker and I'll give you 19 very good meals and a mediocre one on the WSM. Put me on the offset and I'll give you 10 amazing ones on the offset, 5 mediocre ones and 5 shitty ones.

As you noted - for a competition when you have a team that can multi-task and monitor, there's no substitute. But when you're talking about a one-man band that has lawns to mow, children to entertain, beer to drink and baseball to watch...well, the WSM is the way to go.
[Reply]
srvy 10:43 AM 05-28-2019
Without Saint Louis style ribs Applebees wouldn't have all you can eat riblets.

Spareribs are still plentiful around KC. I get them quite often for easy cheap meals but prefer baby backs. More meat less gristle and fat.

typed with my trusty nose picker using Tapatalk
[Reply]
tooge 10:46 AM 05-28-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
A good cook on an offset is just a little bit better, IMO. I don't know why exactly, but if you can peg a cook on an offset, it's amazing. The problem is the amount of care/monitoring that has to go into it. If you have the time you need to closely watch that smoker and feed it right, you can create spectacular barbecue.

But most of us just don't have that kind of time. We're doing other stuff when the cook is happening and we need to be able to leave it alone for a few hours (for me, usually overnight). And for that cook, the WSM is just the tits. It creates food that's 90% as good as the off-set with FAR less risk.

Gimme 20 cooks on each style of smoker and I'll give you 19 very good meals and a mediocre one on the WSM. Put me on the offset and I'll give you 10 amazing ones on the offset, 5 mediocre ones and 5 shitty ones.

As you noted - for a competition when you have a team that can multi-task and monitor, there's no substitute. But when you're talking about a one-man band that has lawns to mow, children to entertain, beer to drink and baseball to watch...well, the WSM is the way to go.
Our comp team doesn't use the off set for comp meat though. We use it to cook for all of our friends and family that stop by because it holds more meat and has our team logo and all that showmanship stuff. I disagree about a good cook on an offset being better. Not only do I have almost nothing to do on a WSM, but even when I baby the offset with the tuning plate and rotating meat, etc., the meat is no better, so why bother. I mean, if it's going to be your everyday smoker, might as well go with the best, unless of course you are a pellet or electric guy.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 11:09 AM 05-28-2019
Our comp team doesn't use the off set for comp meat though. We use it to cook for all of our friends and family that stop by because it holds more meat and has our team logo and all that showmanship stuff. I disagree about a good cook on an offset being better. Not only do I have almost nothing to do on a WSM, but even when I baby the offset with the tuning plate and rotating meat, etc., the meat is no better, so why bother. I mean, if it's going to be your everyday smoker, might as well go with the best, unless of course you are a pellet or electric guy.
It seems that controlling the heat ear regardless of the type of smoker is 90% of the battle.

Well, maybe not 90. Maybe more like 95. No, maybe more like 87.5.

To be honest, I haven't really completed the math.

But I digress.

Controlling the heat is a great big part of the battle. The WSM makes it so easy, it almost ain't fair.

One of the swell features is when you reply "it was nothing" to the inevitable bbq compliments, they think you're being modest.

nyuk.

Dinny
[Reply]
MTG#10 12:01 PM 05-28-2019
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Horizon offset. I know how good the WSM is, I've put out hundreds of pounds of meat on mine...just wanted to try something new. This thing is a beast at 450 pounds and has almost no rust.

I've been reading a lot about temperature convection plates and tuning these things to produce an even temperature across the grill. Anyone have any experience/tips? I cant find tuning plates online, but I found these for propane grills. Would they work?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:25 PM 05-28-2019
Originally Posted by Dinny Bossa Nova:
It seems that controlling the heat ear regardless of the type of smoker is 90% of the battle.

Well, maybe not 90. Maybe more like 95. No, maybe more like 87.5.

To be honest, I haven't really completed the math.

But I digress.

Controlling the heat is a great big part of the battle. The WSM makes it so easy, it almost ain't fair.

One of the swell features is when you reply "it was nothing" to the inevitable bbq compliments, they think you're being modest.

nyuk.

Dinny
DOD you just type "ear regardless"?
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 12:34 PM 05-28-2019
Yes I dod.

I typed ear regardless because I thought some of the brighter kids might get the joke.

The joke is I'm poking fun at the people that think "irregardless" is a word.

Do you get it now?

I didn't think to explain that in the post.

Dinny
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 12:37 PM 05-28-2019
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
DOD you just type "ear regardless"?
[Reply]
Page 117 of 223
« First < 1767107113114115116117 118119120121127167217 > Last »
Up