ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Media Center>Must see Documentaries
Baby Lee 12:17 PM 07-09-2022
Seemed like a decent time, with everything else in the doldrums including new media. Plus this doc just came out and I couldn't find the right place to put it. Closest was 'must watch series' but this has different metrics.

Plus it's good to have a repository of people hyping good docs so people have inspiration to check them out.

It's 'the rest of the story' behind the abduction that led to the mini-series 'I Know my Name is Steve' and it has some twists and turns and some powerful emotion behind it.

This one, I suggest people go in as cold as they can, because it gets wild but in ways you wouldn't expect. But the trailer itself spoils some of it something fierce if you aren't aware of the existing narrative.

EDIT - by which I mean I suggest you skip the trailer below, but include it if you wish to watch it pre-spoiled, or need it to know if you are interested.

[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:02 PM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Baby:
Crazy Love - title sums it up, I won't give away the plot twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62xvVk9VEI
Ol' Burt just died last year at 93yo.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:18 PM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Captive Audience was pretty damned good. Excellent recommend and very fucked up story...
[Reply]
Titty Baby 06:32 PM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I just watched it for the second time with the wife, her first viewing, a few nights ago and happened to check if either of them were still kicking.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 07:22 PM 07-12-2022
“A map for Saturday” you’ll have to find it on Amazon but it’s basically about a guy who quits his high profile job and takes the $30k he’s saved up to travel the world for a year.
[Reply]
Jerm 07:23 PM 07-12-2022
Sasquatch (not what you think) on Hulu is nuts and fucking awesome…

Everyone else already posted ones I was going to lol.
[Reply]
markdis 02:49 PM 07-14-2022
Anyone mentioned Seaspiracy?
Not bad at all
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:48 PM 07-30-2022
So I watched Mind Over Murder on HBO. I knew some people from Beatrice when I was at Cabelas, none of them involved, but it piqued my interest.

It's mind boggling, but a good watch. Although,

Spoiler!

[Reply]
kysirsoze 02:36 PM 07-31-2022
The Act of Killing. An absolutely devastating watch. If you want to look right into the face of the evil humans are capable of, this is about as close as you're likely to get. The fact that this documentary was even made is such a strange combination of luck, bravery, and delusion.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:15 PM 07-31-2022
Originally Posted by kysirsoze:
The Act of Killing. An absolutely devastating watch. If you want to look right into the face of the evil humans are capable of, this is about as close as you're likely to get.
I've met my share. The chilling thing isn't how different they are - it's how normal they are.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:23 PM 07-31-2022
I also watched Chernobyl: The Lost Tapes. I'm a bit of a sucker for nuclear stuff, and I've seen a ton of shit on Chernobyl. A lot of that stuff I hadn't seen. It's not the easiest watch because you have to read the CC and also look at the video, but it's worth it.

Man, there is some whack shit that happened. I think I posted in here that I watched the one on 3 Mile Island, which has a bit of WTF shit in it, but minor leagues compared to the USSR. Holy balls.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 12:51 AM 08-01-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'm a bit of a sucker for nuclear stuff
You're probably already aware, but youtube has some fascinating (and horrifying) documentary stuff about the nuclear testing done at Semipalatinsk, formerly USSR, now modern day Kazakhstan.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:35 PM 09-27-2022
Fairly excited to see this. Wild story that came and went way too quickly. Almost forgot about it until the trailer came up in my feed.

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:47 PM 04-05-2023
Just finished the Waco documentary on Netflix.

It was really good and as someone with only a vague memory of it (and mostly remember the outrage more than the actual even) - Christ on a cracker did the ATF and FBI shit the bed on that one.

Just so many complete failures of leadership and common sense. Absolutely none of that stuff had to happen. And yeah, Koresh was a nut in his own right but there were a dozen different off ramps between serving a warrant and a compound up in smoke that could've prevented that kind of loss of life.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:51 PM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

It was really good and as someone with only a vague memory of it (and mostly remember the outrage more than the actual even) - Christ on a cracker did the ATF and FBI shit the bed on that one.

Just so many complete failures of leadership and common sense. Absolutely none of that stuff had to happen. And yeah, Koresh was a nut in his own right but there were a dozen different off ramps between serving a warrant and a compound up in smoke that could've prevented that kind of loss of life.
That one is alright, the older one about waco, rules of engagement, is pretty good also.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:02 PM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I watched the first few minutes but decided I needed to be in a different mindset to watch women and children get burned to death (after or course being coerced into sex by a cult leader).

But yeah, I was pretty young and not paying attention (the thing that stands out to me most from that time are the SNL Janet Reno jokes), but goddamn, the whole Ruby Ridge/Waco business looks really bad at the executive summary level of nuance.

Families wanting to be left alone but minding their own business get dead by the government because....?.... guns I guess? Not a great look for the ol' government.

Potentially DC stuff in spoiler. Don't click on it if you can't help yourself but turn everything into a DC fuckfest...please.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up