Page 861 of 934
« First < 361761811851857858859860861 862863864865871911 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:28 PM 05-09-2022
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I have a stuped question for the smart people here. My long term portfolio is bleeding just like everyone elses. The stocks I have are mixed , mutual funds , ETF's , tech stocks etc...

Would it be smart , right now, to go ahead and harvest for taxes and move to index funds. We know it ALWAYS goes back up. But the implication of tax harvesting is a real thing that can put money back in your pocket.

Even if you're say bag holding NFLX and just move that money over too AAPL wouldn't it benefit a person best to do that???? You're claimin the loss and getting in AAPL at a great entry.
I never like to think about this question. My general thinking is that it's always going to be better to sell higher because I'd rather pay 15 percent of a gain than take a loss But maybe if you're wanting to sell some stuff that's still up from where you bought it, it's a good time to sell some stuff where you're losing money and offset that tax hit.

But overall, I'd rather sell everything at a gain.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:47 PM 05-09-2022
My thought is , if you have a stock at a loss and you're in the 24% tax bracket and expect to have to pay taxes at the end of the year and you have a $1000 loss. You can sell that and reduce your taxable income by 1K and eliminate $240 in taxes.

Therefore claiming an immediate 24% gain.

Stocks that you've been averaging in over time may have certain "LOTS" you can eliminate at a loss even though you are up in the stock. Take it over to another stock and get in the low.

I would also like to sell everything while its up but everythings not up.

BTW , I only asked for people smarter than me to chime in , I should have included dumb people smarter than me. Apologies.
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:00 PM 05-09-2022
My thought is , if you have a stock at a loss and you're in the 24% tax bracket and expect to have to pay taxes at the end of the year and you have a $1000 loss. You can sell that and reduce your taxable income by 1K and eliminate $240 in taxes.

Therefore claiming an immediate 24% gain.

Stocks that you've been averaging in over time may have certain "LOTS" you can eliminate at a loss even though you are up in the stock. Take it over to another stock and get in the low.

I would also like to sell everything while its up but everythings not up.

BTW , I only asked for people smarter than me to chime in , I should have included dumb people smarter than me. Apologies.

My error. I should not have responded.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:21 PM 05-09-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
My error. I should not have responded.
LOl. I consider myself a dumbass . You're waaaay smarter than me. That comment was not directed at you . I was just sayin. Sometimes I try to be funny and it comes out wrong.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:55 PM 05-09-2022
I have a stuped question for the smart people here. My long term portfolio is bleeding just like everyone elses. The stocks I have are mixed , mutual funds , ETF's , tech stocks etc...

Would it be smart , right now, to go ahead and harvest for taxes and move to index funds. We know it ALWAYS goes back up. But the implication of tax harvesting is a real thing that can put money back in your pocket.

Even if you're say bag holding NFLX and just move that money over too AAPL wouldn't it benefit a person best to do that???? You're claimin the loss and getting in AAPL at a great entry.
Philosophically, I've never been in favor of letting tax strategy guide investment strategy.

That being said, if you want out of Netflix or whatever, GTFO and if it's at a loss, fine.
[Reply]
TLO 07:37 PM 05-09-2022
Buy the dip!!
[Reply]
Munson 09:16 PM 05-09-2022
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
RIVN - Rivian Automotive INC.

Ive been seriously considering investing in this company since it went public. Of course it immediately opened up about 29 and went up as high as 179.46. These EV stocks are crazy like that so I tend to let them settle before considering investing. NKLA was the first one I really wanted to invest in, boy did I dodge a bullet there.

Ive watched many of these EV companies, some suggested in this forum, NIO, LCID, NKLA, GOEV and of course TSLA. Only one, TSLA have I regretted not investing in. Looking at that list makes me think why do I want to jump into this sector at all?

The one company I feel good about is RIVN. They actually are manufacturing and selling their vehicles. A truck and an SUV. I would actually buy one of their Trucks after looking into it.

I am a full size pickup man and although this is not a full size its not a mini truck either. Its a good looking truck, other than the front end. Wish they would have designed the front more like the rest of the truck.

The stock is back down close to opening value, its much better looking than the ridiculous Tesla Cybertruck. Its still pricey but I do think it will be popular and capture a fair percentage of the EV truck and SUV market.

If you are an investor, how do you feel about this stock?
If you are a pickup owner or want to be, would you consider buying one of these?

https://rivian.com/r1t

Ford was one of their early investors, and they are selling 8 million of their 102 million shares. The stock reached an all time low because of that.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/09/rivi...-start-up.html
[Reply]
lewdog 09:32 AM 05-11-2022
AMC sub $10 could be fun!

Hopefully MTG hasn’t slit his wrists losing all those paper gains.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:36 AM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:

I'm sure he has done a half dozen swing trades with perfect timing to make another million bucks off of it.

Clay's actually the one I worry about. (I've been convinced MTG is full of shit for months.) But sadly Clay is not only banned from the thread, he's banned from the Lounge for a few more weeks.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:47 AM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Down 59 percent so far this year.

(Checks portfolio.)

I wish I owned it instead of HCAT and PYPL and NVAX.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 09:53 AM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by Munson:
Ford was one of their early investors, and they are selling 8 million of their 102 million shares. The stock reached an all time low because of that.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/09/rivi...-start-up.html
Yeah, it says JP Morgan has a client that is going to dump even more than Ford did. This is kind of expected though, the initial investors are recouping some of their money. Doesnt mean the company isnt worth investing in? Right?

May be a great time to buy, after the next dump?

I think most companies are struggling with production right now so Im not to concerned with that either.

As a consumer entertaining the idea of an EV Truck, this Truck has captured my attention. Although, the Chevrolet shown during the Super Bowl is really nice and is actually a full size. Looks like an Avalanche but they dont call it that anymore. Roughly the same price when you build it. Probably better support for it later on as it is a major brand.

Looking for some opinions from you guys? Would you buy an EV Truck? If so would you buy a Rivian?
[Reply]
ghak99 09:55 AM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Down 59 percent so far this year.

(Checks portfolio.)

I wish I owned it instead of HCAT and PYPL and NVAX.
It's getting so bad we're having to compare some of our chosen stocks to meme stocks. :-)

These are some fun times we're having to maneuver through.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 10:00 AM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm sure he has done a half dozen swing trades with perfect timing to make another million bucks off of it.

Clay's actually the one I worry about. (I've been convinced MTG is full of shit for months.) But sadly Clay is not only banned from the thread, he's banned from the Lounge for a few more weeks.
Wait, what? How do you get banned from the investing thread?

As far as AMC and GME, I have always looked at those kind of plays as straight up Gambling. You absolutely KNOW the stocks are NOT worth the money. I guess you are hoping to time it just right which everyone knows is impossible!

I did enjoy the headache it caused for some Hedge Funds but in the end, they won, as usual.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:07 AM 05-11-2022
As a consumer entertaining the idea of an EV Truck, this Truck has captured my attention. Although, the Chevrolet shown during the Super Bowl is really nice and is actually a full size. Looks like an Avalanche but they dont call it that anymore. Roughly the same price when you build it. Probably better support for it later on as it is a major brand.

Looking for some opinions from you guys? Would you buy an EV Truck? If so would you buy a Rivian?
Like I said earlier, I think their actual product is fantastic. It's pricey as hell, but if it's in your budget I think it's the best EV pickup out there right now.

The issue is that they haven't figured out how to ramp up production. I have friends who got on the waitlist on day 1 in 2019, and right now they're assuming it'll still be at least a year before they actually get one. As of March, Rivian had sold around 1,400 trucks this year compared to their waitlist of 83,000...

Wait, what? How do you get banned from the investing thread?
Here. It was his fifth strike in the past year. Not sure how we didn't notice he was above three already.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 10:26 AM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Like I said earlier, I think their actual product is fantastic. It's pricey as hell, but if it's in your budget I think it's the best EV pickup out there right now.

The issue is that they haven't figured out how to ramp up production. I have friends who got on the waitlist on day 1 in 2019, and right now they're assuming it'll still be at least a year before they actually get one. As of March, Rivian had sold around 1,400 trucks this year compared to their waitlist of 83,000...

Here. It was his fifth strike in the past year. Not sure how we didn't notice he was above three already.
Hey thanks DaFace, I agree that they appear to have a great product. The demand is definitely there as well. I do worry that by the time they get rolling the Big 3 will have caught up. Then what?
[Reply]
Page 861 of 934
« First < 361761811851857858859860861 862863864865871911 > Last »
Up