ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 19
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
headsnap 11:26 AM 03-06-2002
my shameless plug

bighead
http://www.365degrees.com/bighead
the site is woefully out of date (I spend too much time on the planet)

check out the video for "Black Stack Shoes". This was filmed as a 'pilot' for a tv show called "Backstage Pass" that was being shopped to VH1. The Idea for the show was to go around the country and film live performances of local bands. Vh1 obviously did not buy the show.:-)
http://www.365degrees.com/bighead/black.html
video in .mov format.

I'm guitar in a Techno/electronica/Industrial band (I'm the one with hair:-) )

I will get you those samples when I get a chance to 'plug' the guitar in...
[Reply]
Pennywise 11:47 AM 03-06-2002
I checked the plugs out. Really cool. Meck, I dig your bio. There are some funny lines in there. Its cool you dude are living the life and actually get to play on stage.

"The son of a guitar player (who wishes his father had kept some of those old guitars), Meck often slept in front of the amplifiers when band practice went past his bedtime."

I bet he did give away some gems. You mean to tell me the
Army isnt as fun as playing guitar? The Army is as about as fun as sawing one of your balls off with a rusty car key, or canned good lid. Perspective wise that is...

Oh, I am also a fan of the P90. Aren't they in the older Gibson LP Goldtops too?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:08 PM 03-06-2002
Pennywise,

thanks, glad you dig.

Yeah, the army was boring. It'd have been alright if they'd let me go to jump school and stuff, but this was immediately post gulf war and they were cutting back on that stuff. So I got out as soon as I could.

P-90's were the original Gibson pickup, humbuckers weren't invented yet. Humbuckers were invented solely for the purpose of "bucking" the single coil noise ("hum") that is present in those pickups.

I remember my dad having: a '59 strat, a couple of '50's telecasters, a '62 SG, a '64 Jazzmaster, a beautiful old Gibson Hummingbird, and a Gibson J-50. If I had access to all those guitars now, I'd be a very happy man.
chris
[Reply]
talcool1 12:08 PM 03-06-2002
I to would recommend the zoom 505 effects pedal, and yea I play through my computer when I don't want to bother the neighbors, it works great. as far as what a effect pedal does it gives you that dirt or the distortion for playing rock.
[Reply]
Pennywise 01:07 PM 03-06-2002
Those were some cool guitars. I bet it does hurt to think about them. DON'T. Let it be man if it hurts too bad. I got a LP stolen by a carpenter dude working on our house and I still get a little weepy when I think about it. Like now. I did the jump school thing. It was ok and I feel lucky I got the chance to go and be a part that scene. If you are gonna be in that shite, do it with your hair on fire.

Don't get me wrong. Its not as cool as having a band or being in a band...You lucky bastards. That chick looked allright. I dig the hat.

I was in an electronics shop in the army blah blah. One of my buddies (radio repairmen) and I bought that book (build your own effects ) and made a few "pedals". This was pre-Internet so you had to have the book. Its really easy. No Boss or DOD quality but something to do at work while your on Uncle Sams time. You can get all the shite from radio shack (cheeseboard & components) or order it, or rob from UnkSammy and just follow the schematics in the book. A little soldering and whammo, your own cheesy ass little overdrive-distortion stompbox. Its much like my playing, it only sounded good to me.

They didnt sound all that great (actually like shite), but I still have one of them. You want to talk about noise (the bad kind)...Id like to let you play through one. Its funny.
[Reply]
Phobia 01:23 PM 03-06-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Chris Meck
By the way, since other folks are posting their bands, I might as well add mine. I play lead guitar for Kristie Stremel's band, just in case anyone wants to look,
www.kristiestremel.com
Cool! I really liked your sound. When are y'all coming to Houston? I'll come out - I'm sure you'd get some guys to the Austin shows, too. Make sure you post some threads prior to the shows.
[Reply]
headsnap 01:37 PM 03-06-2002
lets see if these work...

guitar Danelectro Innuendo (new for $149)

Zoom 505 $40-$60 on ebay) direct into computer.

I didn't have a stereo patch cord, so these are in mono

distortion
distortion with flange
lead
clean
clean lead

enjoy.
[Reply]
Phobia 01:37 PM 03-06-2002
Hey - I really liked "You'll Never Know"
[Reply]
kcfanintitanhell 02:49 PM 03-06-2002
I'm just a lowly 5-string bass player, feelin kinda left out...anybody actually play bass on this thread?

:

( And now for the shameless plug-

http://www.goosecreeksymphony.com
[Reply]
nmt1 02:52 PM 03-06-2002
Headsnap:

That's pretty cool. That's something I think I would want to play around with after I got a little better.
[Reply]
mcan 12:49 AM 03-07-2002
NMT1-
Hey did you get my smoke signal? I'll be glad to compile a list of guitars that will be good if you provide a price range, and a list of bands that you like or sounds that you dig. Don't be afraid to say whatever, I'll try to find the best thing around. Keep in mind that you'll still have to get an amp or effects box.

BTW-
If you buy anything from Zoom, be forwarned that their stuff is prone to breaking. Especially thier older stuff. (it was plastic and now its a cheap looking alloy). The 505 has a lot of cool effects, but those wear pretty thin after awhile. It's also not very user friendly as far as editing and singling out one effect. You are pretty much stuck to the 50 or so preset effects. Not a BAD unit, but again, I'm biased and like a single distortion pedal, or a single delay. If you get one make sure you get one of the newer models. (the old ones were REALLY bad- they used AA batteries and were plastic. The new ones are stronger and use 9 volt) You should have REVERB on your amp.
[Reply]
splatbass 02:41 AM 03-07-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by kcfanintitanhell
I'm just a lowly 5-string bass player, feelin kinda left out...anybody actually play bass on this thread?

:

( And now for the shameless plug-

http://www.goosecreeksymphony.com
I do, I guess you missed my earlier post. Play mostly 4 string now, but I still keep a couple of 5 strings around for when I need them... Currently play in a country band, I'll post my shameless plug again....

www.geocities.com/splatbass/showdown.html
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:40 AM 03-07-2002
Actually Kphobia,
We'll be in Houston next week-or March 15th, that is-at Fitzgerald's.
We're in Texas all that week, centered around some showcases at the SXSW music festival in Austin.
Here's a lowdown, for anyone interested:
Tues. March 12-Denton, TX at Mable Peabodies
Wed. March13-The Galaxy, Dallas, TX
Thurs.March 14 Women in Rock showcase, Borders-Austin TX
Fri.March15th (afternoon) Slewfoot Records Showcase
Fri.March15th (evening)Fitzgeralds, Houston TX
Sat.March16th (my 30th birthday, by the way :-) ) Opal Divine's Freehouse, Austin TX.

Thanks for your interest.
By the way, a good buddy of mine from High School is a Gunnery Sergeant in the Corps, Roy Sims. But he's based in San Diego, I think.
Chris
[Reply]
nmt1 07:08 AM 03-07-2002
mcan:

Got your smoke and replied. I see your messages are around 2am. I'm always in la la land by then.
[Reply]
Phobia 07:30 AM 03-07-2002
Chris,
I'll probably be there. The only potential prob I see is that next week is my kid's spring break so if something comes up, it has to do w/ them. Looks like there will be several bands there Friday. Seeya then!

I'm not in the Corps any longer, but if I were, I'd probably be a Gunny or Master Sgt by now - I'd be about 5 years from retirement - hehe. I just turned 31 a few days ago. I remember the big 3-0 all too well.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 19
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up