ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 23
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Media Center>Syfy: The Expanse
keg in kc 03:30 PM 04-14-2014
I'm really excited about this - it's a fantastic set of books that I think could translate into really good TV.

Originally Posted by :
Syfy orders 'The Expanse' series based on 'Leviathan Wakes' (think 'Game of Thrones' in space)

By James Hibberd on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:30PM

Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to an exciting-sounding new project based on an acclaimed sci-fi book series. The cable network has ordered 10 episodes of The Expanse, from Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man) and Alcon Television Group. The project has been described by industry insiders as “Game of Thrones in space” — not so much because of the specifics of the plot, but because it tells a dramatic sprawling grown-up story within a popular fantasy genre that’s based on a respected series of novels.

The logline: “A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.”

The Expanse is based on a series of books by James S.A. Corey. The most well-known title is probably the first in the series, Leviathan Wakes, which has been praised for reinventing and updating the old-school Star Wars/Firefly-style space opera. Syfy won a bidding war with another content producer to acquire the project.

Syfy president Dave Howe promised, “The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy’s most ambitious series to date. Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Company is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories. The Expanse joins a killer line-up of high-concept, high quality series, along with recently announced original projects Ascension, 12 Monkeys, the renewal of Helix, and the soon to premiere Dominion.”

Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Company developed the original pitch, with Fergus and Ostby, and will also executive produce. “The Expanse is one of the most special pieces of material we’ve ever encountered and it has been our dream to bring it to life since the moment we read it,” Daniel and Brown said in a statement. “We couldn’t be more excited to be doing it with this team of all-stars.”

Added Alcon president Sharon Hall: “The Expanse is an addictive, sophisticated, character-driven franchise and Mark and Hawk are the perfect people to steer it. Their script is a totally immersive and accessible sci-fi journey.”
(Just FYI, the author of Leviathan Wakes, James S.A. Corey, is actually a collaberative pseudonym of authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I guess EW didn't know this...)
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:01 PM 05-17-2018
That was an amazing episode. Maybe the best so far.

So evidently the cancellation was because Syfy only has rights to initial broadcast. So they only make money on the advertising during first run of episodes. Amazon has the streaming rights. Syfy wasn't making enough.

So - and this is just me, I've heard nothing yet - but I bet this becomes a Prime Original. It brings with it a degree of critical acclaim that no other science fiction show - on ANY platform - can match at this point in time. And it's an already in production program that's firing on all cylinders. They'd know exactly what they have. Hook this up with Man in the High Castle and their upcoming Tolkien project and they basically own genre at this point. Netflix has Stranger things and maybe Altered Carbon (which hasn't been renewed and only has two more novels even if it is) or Lost in Space (season 1 nothing special).

Fingers crossed...
[Reply]
stumppy 01:13 PM 05-17-2018
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
That was an amazing episode. Maybe the best so far.

So evidently the cancellation was because Syfy only has rights to initial broadcast. So they only make money on the advertising during first run of episodes. Amazon has the streaming rights. Syfy wasn't making enough.

So - and this is just me, I've heard nothing yet - but I bet this becomes a Prime Original. It brings with it a degree of critical acclaim that no other science fiction show - on ANY platform - can match at this point in time. And it's an already in production program that's firing on all cylinders. They'd know exactly what they have. Hook this up with Man in the High Castle and their upcoming Tolkien project and they basically own genre at this point. Netflix has Stranger things and maybe Altered Carbon (which hasn't been renewed and only has two more novels even if it is) or Lost in Space (season 1 nothing special).

Fingers crossed...
I agree, last nights episode was one of the best so far. Helluva lot more action, which has been missing lately. By far, my favorite show right now.

I hope you're right. From what little I know about the business this looks like a turn key show/opportunity.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 03:51 PM 05-17-2018
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Frazod 10:24 PM 05-17-2018
Great episode. Also looking forward to one of my favorite actors, David Strathairn, joining the cast next week.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:04 AM 05-18-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Great episode. Also looking forward to one of my favorite actors, David Strathairn, joining the cast next week.
!!!
[Reply]
bowener 07:28 AM 05-18-2018
I've been streaming the show in a minimized and muted tab while at work. Just doing my part to show a rating bump. With that said, fuck SyFy. Go to their web page and see how well they advertise for any of their damn shows. To find the shows there is a small clickable icon in the top right, and the main page is cluttered with articles about Deadpool 2 or NASA finding an oxygen cloud at the edge of the observable universe... wtf.
[Reply]
Miles 10:10 PM 05-19-2018
I keep checking this thread hoping something has happened to continue this show. It’s consistently gotten better as the tv series has progressed.
[Reply]
Fish 10:18 PM 05-21-2018
Man, that was an incredible 3 seasons. Crying damn shame that they can't extend that. Almost a worse let down that Firefly ending.
[Reply]
bowener 12:28 PM 05-22-2018
I read somewhere yesterday that Amazon is in talks with Alcon, or is seriously considering it. I will try to find.

Variety
[Reply]
Frazod 09:08 PM 05-23-2018
Excellent episode tonight. Might be a bit jarring for those who haven't read the books, but I think they handled the transition from the first part of the story to the next part of the story pretty well.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:20 PM 05-24-2018
It was a little jarring even for someone who has read the books...

Although my only real complaint was putting Thomas Jane's name in the opening credits. It must've been contractual, but still. Bit of a giant in-episode spoiler for people who didn't already know he'd come back.

Gonna be a wild few weeks now.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 06:24 PM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by bowener:
I read somewhere yesterday that Amazon is in talks with Alcon, or is seriously considering it. I will try to find.

Variety
A news headline popped on my phone saying Amazon had saved the show...but then I read it and it said that they are in talks with Alcon for it and nothing is official yet.

Fucking clickbait headline got me all excited..... :-)
[Reply]
RealSNR 06:53 PM 05-24-2018
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
A news headline popped on my phone saying Amazon had saved the show...but then I read it and it said that they are in talks with Alcon for it and nothing is official yet.

****ing clickbait headline got me all excited..... :-)
They're in talks, and apparently "Jeff Bezos likes the Expanse!" (I mean, it's possible, but how the hell do they know that shit?) That last part sounds like made-up crap, but I have faith that this show will find a streaming platform of some type. It's too good for it not to happen.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:48 AM 05-25-2018
Strathairn is fucking primo casting. Great episode though the Belter rocket jock storyline was kinda obvious.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:42 PM 05-25-2018
This is pretty cool.

[Reply]
Page 12 of 23
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up