ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 934
« First < 162223242526 272829303676126526 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:03 PM 08-29-2016
I don't. I have a pile of cash parked in the bank because I'm a bad manager at the moment. I really need to get my books done and do all my inter-entity reimbusements done and tighten things up.

But again, bad manager at the moment.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 01:35 AM 08-30-2016
must be nice to be rich
[Reply]
LoneWolf 02:17 AM 08-30-2016
Mo money, Mo problems.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 07:37 AM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Yea, having access to stocks is a different animal for what I am talking about. As you are aware, you'd hate for an emergency to happen and you have to sell stocks when they are sitting low.

Did you spell moar like that trying to troll me? :-)
You know I live to troll. :-)
[Reply]
wutamess 09:00 AM 08-30-2016
Well... I've come to the realization that other than a layoff, having to take an emergency trip or pay for a funeral (Which I just paid for my fathers), I just don't need much more than $2000 in savings.

I keep $2-3K in savings/emergency account, then max out ROTH IRA contributions as it's a secondary savings and then the rest goes to an out of pocket/regular investment account. The 6+ months emergency fund is in the Roth IRA since withdrawals aren't taxed or penalized (which I've never had to draw on).

Is any of this a bad idea?
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:04 AM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by wutamess:
Well... I've come to the realization that other than a layoff, having to take an emergency trip or pay for a funeral (Which I just paid for my fathers), I just don't need much more than $2000 in savings.

I keep $2-3K in savings/emergency account, then max out ROTH IRA contributions as it's a secondary savings and then the rest goes to an out of pocket/regular investment account. The 6+ months emergency fund is in the Roth IRA since withdrawals aren't taxed or penalized (which I've never had to draw on).

I'd keep more out than that. Engine/transmission, HVAC, roof leaks, etc will cost you more than that and getting loans out on that shit is sketchy.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:08 PM 08-30-2016

No, nothing wrong with this idea and it's exactly what I was talking about.

Although I definitely like to keep more on hand for emergencies than $2k. Car repair, pool repair, AC repair, home maintenance projects, buying furniture, those can easily run close to or over $2k at a given time. I'd treat the Roth emergency more like a $5-10k+ type of emergency myself but plenty of people do just what you're saying and really have a low amount of money in savings accounts.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:11 PM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'd keep more out than that. Engine/transmission, HVAC, roof leaks, etc will cost you more than that and getting loans out on that shit is sketchy.
Money Market or continually roll over some short term CDs..?
[Reply]
eDave 02:14 PM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
No money, Mo problems.
FYP
[Reply]
wutamess 03:14 PM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I have Roth contributions I can tap into that gets put into my account overnight if I need it. Roof has a lifetime warranty HVAC will cost me $1800 to get replaced. Furnace is 5 years new. Engine/Transmission, I'd tap reserves.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:21 PM 08-30-2016
I have Roth contributions I can tap into that gets put into my account overnight if I need it. Roof has a lifetime warranty HVAC will cost me $1800 to get replaced. Furnace is 5 years new. Engine/Transmission, I'd tap reserves.
Have you ever actually tapped your Roth? I worry it's not as seamless as it seems. Then again, even if it takes 2 weeks, you could always charge it and pay it off in full once the money arrives I suppose.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 03:24 PM 08-30-2016
Obviously the opposite of investing and being money savvy, which credit cards are y'all using? Any good perks / rewards out there beyond the ones the churner cokeheads are angling for?
[Reply]
Amnorix 03:26 PM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Obviously the opposite of investing and being money savvy, which credit cards are y'all using? Any good perks / rewards out there beyond the ones the churner cokeheads are angling for?

I like simple. I'm sure there are cards that you can "work" to get better rewards out of them, but I don't have time/patience for that.

Therefore, Fidelity Visa. No annual fee and 2% cash back on everything I buy, which gets automatically deposited into whatever Fidelity account(s) I choose, which can include a kid's UFund (529 Plan) account.

EDIT: And, btw, I don't think using a credit card isn't money savvy. I think it is, SO LONG AS YOU PAY THE BALANCE IN FULL EVERY MONTH WITHOUT FAIL. Which you absolutely must do. If so, then they basically pay YOU interest for them giving you a loan. Yes please...
[Reply]
lewdog 03:31 PM 08-30-2016
I have a US bank cash back card. Select categories are 2% for clothes, groceries, gas and furniture. 5% for something like a cellphone bill. 1% everything else. I take cash back at end of year, with last year was over $600. People don't realize this is also tax free money, and since I am paying it off every month (no interest), this is a better way to earn money then something like a CD which ties up money and would cost me investing $60k on a 1% rate to make $600 back in a year.

Charging everything is a no brainer if you have the discipline to stick to a budget and know your finances. If you can't pay it in full every month, don't do this.

/soap box
[Reply]
Nirvana58 03:46 PM 08-30-2016
Citi Double Cash gives you 2% back on everything. 0 annual fee's and has an 18 month 0% apr. That is currently my favorite credit card. Only problem is if they increase your credit limit they make you wait 6 months to increase it again. Which can be a pain if you are using for Business transactions.

Chase Slate has 0 transfer fees and I believe 18 month apr. It is really good card to transfer a high interest credit card too.

Amazon rewards card gives you 3% cash back on all purchases from Amazon. So if you are a prime member or order a lot of stuff off of Amazon it definitely comes in handy. No Annual Fees

Chase Freedom does 5% cash back on revolving 3 months categories. It can be pretty nice if when they do an Amazon, Grocery Store, or Gas. Plus they give you I believe 100 or 200 dollars back if you spend a thousand the first month. No Annual Fees
[Reply]
Page 26 of 934
« First < 162223242526 272829303676126526 > Last »
Up