ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 555 of 1208
« First < 55455505545551552553554555 5565575585595656056551055 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 08:23 PM 06-14-2017
I used to always argue with the ex about putting bones in the disposal.
I go by what my mom told me. She said it's good for it and the guy who put ours in at told her that. The ex disagreed, wouldn't even through fruit like banana peels or lemon peels down there. What's the sense of having the thing if you going to have garbage in the house. Never could figure that one out.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:36 PM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
I never have. It's never gone bad either.

Q:
Is it necessary to refrigerate Worcestershire sauce after opening?
A:
Worcestershire sauce does not need to be refrigerated once the bottle has been opened, as there is nothing that can spoil in the condiment. There is a school of thought that Worcestershire sauce should be refrigerated if it is used infrequently, but this does not add to its shelf life.

Full Answer

An unopened bottle of Worcestershire sauce will last indefinitely while an opened bottle of Worcestershire sauce will be good for up to 4 years. However, even after that time, the sauce does not go bad. What occurs is that flavors begin to mute and do not serve as well as an ingredient after that time. For best storage, keep the bottle of Worcestershire sauce in a cool dry place, such as in a food pantry. As with many prepared foods, the bottle should avoid temperature fluctuations or direct sunlight.

https://www.reference.com/food/neces...e77d1e455764b8

Gee, I don't live in a cool dry place. Perhaps, I should store it 6 feet underground? :-)
She says no and I said yes.

I see the bottle is now firmly on the counter.

I'm like you and living in a place that gets fairly hot, I don't like to leave a lot out.

My trick now is to let it stay there for a few weeks. Then all of a sudden it will be back in the fridge. :-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 08:47 PM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
She says no and I said yes.

I see the bottle is now firmly on the counter.

I'm like you and living in a place that gets fairly hot, I don't like to leave a lot out.

My trick now is to let it stay there for a few weeks. Then all of a sudden it will be back in the fridge. :-)
Oh, like those thermostat wars.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:54 PM 06-14-2017
I go by what my mom told me. She said it's good for it and the guy who put ours in at told her that. The ex disagreed, wouldn't even through fruit like banana peels or lemon peels down there. What's the sense of having the thing if you going to have garbage in the house. Never could figure that one out.
You get that the stuff you put in your disposal still goes through your plumbing?

It's not about hurting the disposal, it's about putting stuff down the drain that won't break down and could accumulate in the grease and gunk that's already constraining your pipes bit by bit.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 08:57 PM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
You get that the stuff you put in your disposal still goes through your plumbing?

It's not about hurting the disposal, it's about putting stuff down the drain that won't break down and could accumulate in the grease and gunk that's already constraining your pipes bit by bit.
Never heard that before. If true why do people even have them?

We were never allowed to throw any garbage in our trash can growing up at home.
[Reply]
scho63 09:01 PM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
I refrigerate worcestershire, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce and oyster sauce.
I don't refrigerate any of those! :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:22 PM 06-14-2017
Never heard that before. If true why do people even have them?

We were never allowed to throw any garbage in our trash can growing up at home.
A lot of things factor in.

Plumbing obstruction by accumulation is often a slow-moving process, and sometimes isn't an issue if people take the right precautions or have the right habits.

The big thing is to never let lipids of any type down the drain, grease, lard, oil, all of it is your biggest danger to congeal and start the process.

Next is to keep regular liquid traffic. If you're sending a bath tub full of hot water, or a sinkful of near-scalding water daily, you're going to clean a lot out on a maintenance basis.

Next is to make sure things that go through the disposal will biodegrade easily. If it breaks down quickly it won't get caught up permanently in the growing grease clog.

Then people are relying on draino, and hoping that the day doesn't come they have to roto-rooter the whole system out.

Thing is, once those grease 'balls' start, it's a near inevitability. Grease isn't something that just washes away. There was a news thing on how in the London sewers, they're pulling out balls the size of a motorcycle that's all hair, grease and wet wipes.

EDIT - revise that, they've pulled out one single ball weighing in at 10 TONS.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...a-sewer-london
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:13 PM 06-14-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
A lot of things factor in.

Plumbing obstruction by accumulation is often a slow-moving process, and sometimes isn't an issue if people take the right precautions or have the right habits.

The big thing is to never let lipids of any type down the drain, grease, lard, oil, all of it is your biggest danger to congeal and start the process.

Next is to keep regular liquid traffic. If you're sending a bath tub full of hot water, or a sinkful of near-scalding water daily, you're going to clean a lot out on a maintenance basis.

Next is to make sure things that go through the disposal will biodegrade easily. If it breaks down quickly it won't get caught up permanently in the growing grease clog.

Then people are relying on draino, and hoping that the day doesn't come they have to roto-rooter the whole system out.

Thing is, once those grease 'balls' start, it's a near inevitability. Grease isn't something that just washes away. There was a news thing on how in the London sewers, they're pulling out balls the size of a motorcycle that's all hair, grease and wet wipes.

EDIT - revise that, they've pulled out one single ball weighing in at 10 TONS.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...a-sewer-london
I don't through grease down there. I drain it into a jar. Things like bacon grease. Not when I clean out a frying pan. But Oxyclean breaks up grease really well.

It's the bones we disagreed on mostly. Never had a problem growing up or here.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 08:53 AM 06-15-2017
realy fibrous things like peels and such can be bad for a disposal.

http://www.delish.com/food-news/g316...bage-disposal/

I've never had an issue with eggs or pasta though.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:10 AM 06-15-2017
My disposal actually says to occasionally put something like a bone in there. I had one that just stopped working so I decided to figure out how the damn things work.

Turns out that it isn't a spinning blade or anything in there but rather a couple of 'hammers' that spin around on a central shaft. The two hammers are on their own axis on a larger disk ('grinding plate'). As that disk spins, the hammers spin around independently and blast things towards the outside to be run over what amounts to cheese graters. Those graters are what do the cutting as the hammers move things out and press them into the grinders.

What will happen is that the disposal spends enough time wet that it will get a little corrosion or gunk built up around the base of the hammers. The hammers will then lock up and stop doing their jobs. So when you put a bone or something hard in there, it breaks them loose and keeps them spinning correctly (and the disposal working).

I had to take the one in my prep sink out, blast it was as much WD40 as I could find and start beating the hammers with a chisel and mallet to free them. If you put more hard stuff in there, they should never get that stuck. Alternatively, I've read that if one gets stuck, you can just fire it up and shove a broom handle in there. Uh...have fun with that. I ain't going that route. I'd suggest large blocks of ice instead.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:12 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
My disposal actually says to occasionally put something like a bone in there. I had one that just stopped working so I decided to figure out how the damn things work.

Turns out that it isn't a spinning blade or anything in there but rather a couple of 'hammers' that spin around on a central shaft. The two hammers are on their own axis on a larger disk ('grinding plate'). As that disk spins, the hammers spin around independently and blast things towards the outside to be run over what amounts to cheese graters. Those graters are what do the cutting as the hammers move things out and press them into the grinders.

What will happen is that the disposal spends enough time wet that it will get a little corrosion or gunk built up around the base of the hammers. The hammers will then lock up and stop doing their jobs. So when you put a bone or something hard in there, it breaks them loose and keeps them spinning correctly (and the disposal working).

I had to take the one in my prep sink out, blast it was as much WD40 as I could find and start beating the hammers with a chisel and mallet to free them. If you put more hard stuff in there, they should never get that stuck. Alternatively, I've read that if one gets stuck, you can just fire it up and shove a broom handle in there. Uh...have fun with that. I ain't going that route. I'd suggest large blocks of ice instead.

Abounce once every couple months we'll fire it up with a spoon in there (not intentionally). Thank that works?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:13 AM 06-15-2017
I don't through grease down there. I drain it into a jar. Things like bacon grease. Not when I clean out a frying pan. But Oxyclean breaks up grease really well.

It's the bones we disagreed on mostly. Never had a problem growing up or here.
Line a bowl with aluminum foil, pour your grease in the foil and when it cools and hardens, lift out the foil and pitch it. I don't like having a jar of rancid grease under my sink so that's the route I go.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:13 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Abounce once every couple months we'll fire it up with a spoon in there (not intentionally). Thank that works?
Probably not. Not enough mass. Could put the front end of a wooden spoon in there but I'd suspect a little metal spoon will just bounce around a lot.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 09:26 AM 06-15-2017

I throw a handfull of ice down mine about once a month to clean it
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:32 AM 06-15-2017

That's what my mom told us and that was from the guy who installed ours.

Good tips. Thanks.
[Reply]
Page 555 of 1208
« First < 55455505545551552553554555 5565575585595656056551055 > Last »
Up