ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 393 of 3903
« First < 293343383389390391392393 3943953963974034434938931393 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
PHOG 07:00 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Yes.

For the US, if they enforced a Hubei-style lockdown? Two months. But at this point, it's all over the country. The question is how many hot spots there are (NY, Seattle) and how bad they get.

The other thing one must consider is the possibility that China and South Korea are not done. The 1918 flu came back around and was much deadlier the second time. We must also consider the extent to which SARS-CoV-2 becomes as endemic in human population as influenza due to antigenic drift (viral mutation causing a new strain each year).
Thank you for the reply. I try to be an optimist, and I think, without any data to back it up, that all will work out. We are already trying human anti-virus (for lack of a better term),way ahead of schedule, and the toll doesn't seem all that bad so far, relatively speaking. SO FAR.

Could shit hit the fan? Absolutely.

Hoping all works out.
[Reply]
wazu 07:02 PM 03-17-2020
Guys this is starting to sound like a massive, MASSIVE fuck-up!!!
[Reply]
TLO 07:03 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Guys this is starting to sound like a massive, MASSIVE ****-up!!!
Why is that?
[Reply]
wazu 07:03 PM 03-17-2020
We may have screwed ourselves for no good reason.
[Reply]
The Franchise 07:04 PM 03-17-2020
Oregon schools now closed thru April 28th.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:05 PM 03-17-2020
Guys this is starting to sound like a massive, MASSIVE ****-up!!!
Oh, calm down. Things aren't that bad. They're serious, yes, but not really bad. Things are moving in the right direction; they already have a couple options that seem to be effective in early testing. We're going to be okay.
[Reply]
suzzer99 07:07 PM 03-17-2020

Here's an unexpected side effect of the pandemic - the water's flowing through the canals of Venice is clear for the first time in forever. The fish are visible, the swans returned. pic.twitter.com/2egMGhJs7f

— Kaveri ���� (@ikaveri) March 16, 2020

[Reply]
petegz28 07:07 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Oregon schools now closed thru April 28th.
I don't get it. Ours got closed until April 5th which I thought was reasonable. Why not close for a couple of weeks and then evaluate?
[Reply]
Kiimo 07:07 PM 03-17-2020
If you're looking for a villain you can start with the medical supply companies that are suing doctors for 3D printing valves for a dollar that they charge $11,000 a piece for.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/17/2...ves-treatments
[Reply]
petegz28 07:08 PM 03-17-2020
We may have screwed ourselves for no good reason.
Chillax, man
[Reply]
wazu 07:08 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Oh, calm down. Things aren't that bad. They're serious, yes, but not really bad. Things are moving in the right direction; they already have a couple options that seem to be effective in early testing. We're going to be okay.

Nearly 20% of households in the U.S. have already experienced a layoff or a reduction in work hours because of the coronavirus, according to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll.https://t.co/8kiY0Ocl3V

— NPR (@NPR) March 18, 2020

[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:08 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I'm on the fence about proclaiming that. I was hopeful that was the case once we started hearing of cases, because that would mean it isn't as jarring as we thought it might be.

However, now that I've seen what is happening in other countries and it starting to overload their healthcare system it couldn't have been here very long at least in community spread. If it had, our ICU's would have been overloaded already.

If it really did come from the live markets in Wuhan in November. And it wasn't heavily prevalent in Wuhan until December. I don't see how we would expected all of these rumors of community spread in December and January here.
This is becoming a generation changing event for those coming of age right now. They have never known any bad times. They were little kids in the 2008 crash. They are living life large. Partying at bars into the night, hanging out in groups. Filling up the sand on beaches. They have no idea the reality getting ready to smack them in the face.

The economy was on cruise control. Soon to be, in a matter of weeks, the worst since the great depression. Big layoffs are coming in all sectors of the economy. We are going to start seeing people dying in greater numbers in a week and the healthcare system max's out.
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
We are pass the "hope" of avoiding a society changing event. Treasury secretary says 20% unemployment soon.

We need to face facts and meet the challenge. We will eventually be okay. The economy and jobs will come back. Its just going to take awhile.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:10 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I don't get it. Ours got closed until April 5th which I thought was reasonable. Why not close for a couple of weeks and then evaluate?
I don't disagree, but I think some people would like certainty.
[Reply]
eDave 07:10 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Agreed. But his point about rent and mortgage (I'll add your car payment, insurance, etc.) being survivalbe is spot on.

I call it survival living and I've been through it a couple of times in my life and lived to tell the tale. I'm fairly well off now.
I just recieved notification that my tags need renewed. If I was living check to check, especiall now, this would be worrisome.

If I were in that situation I'd assess the need. I work from home, when I go out it's to the store (at night), and when I party, I obey all traffic laws. Chances of getting popped for expired tags is nill. Now, I'll pay a penalty, but I'll deal with that later. I got food to buy.

Anyway, don't stress. Manage your way through. There is no debtors prison and great credit is over rated and further releif is sure to come. Taxes delayed 90d for instance.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:13 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
This is becoming a generation changing event for those coming of age right now. They have never known any bad times. They were little kids in the 2008 crash. They are living life large. Partying at bars into the night, hanging out in groups. Filling up the sand on beaches. They have no idea the reality getting ready to smack them in the face.

The economy was on cruise control. Soon to be, in a matter of weeks, the worst since the great depression. Big layoffs are coming in all sectors of the economy. We are going to start seeing people dying in greater numbers in a week and the healthcare system max's out.
We are way pass hope of avoiding a society changing event. Treasury secretary says 20% unemployment soon.
While this is true, the economy was in great shape before this happened. Which I would hope would mean a recovery would be easier. I don't know how to properly say this, but I wouldn't preoccupy myself in a bad economy strictly based on an unavoidable virus. That is just bad luck. If we had a bad economy, down turning even more before this that is scarier to me. Yes there will be hard times for all, but hopefully our previously strong economy will boon even further once we rid this from the world and we can revel and celebrate success together. Maybe it could, gasp, unify us the way 9/11 did. At least temporarily.
[Reply]
Page 393 of 3903
« First < 293343383389390391392393 3943953963974034434938931393 > Last »
Up