ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1061 of 1207
« First < 615619611011105110571058105910601061 1062106310641065107111111161 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
cdcox 10:35 PM 01-02-2021
I made risotto with hen of the woods mushrooms and a really rich duck stock. The recipe also includes Chardonnay and really good parm.
[Reply]
srvy 10:52 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
This fucking guy
It's just sheer misfortune to post your meal pictures just prior to KCUnited or Pablo posting theirs. Talk about wind out of your sails.:-)
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:59 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
It's just sheer misfortune to post your meal pictures just prior to KCUnited or Pablo posting theirs. Talk about wind out of your sails.:-)
The man is a stone cold assassin, don't bother testing him
[Reply]
SPchief 11:47 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Decided to do tacos and cut up some adobo chipotles instead of salsa or something.

Holy fuck those things were burn your face off hot. But it tasted really good. If I’d have cut them into smaller pieces they would have kicked 9 kinds of ass. I ate a piece on a chip though, and that’s about the extent of what I’m good for.

It was a nice change up.

puree them up and use that in things. Mix a bit of the puree with some s/c as a drizzle, add some to some salsa, mix some with some lime juice and cilantro as a good marinade
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:13 AM 01-03-2021
I did an $.80 lb butt ham. cut off the meat around the Altch bone or as much as I could, above the joint. Remove the bone and socket leaving the ball. This is where The spiral slicing starts. I use the trimed ham for beans, omelets,and grilled sammies, reserving the bone for soup.

Now I have about a 4" of 3/16" thick sliced ham about the size of a large pizza to infuse some cherry smoke and a citrus syrup shell over. I am thinking of using "Old Fashioned syrup

I bag the ham and soak in a mixture of fresh pear. orange and pineapple juices for a few hours. I make a foil ring or two so the ham stands upright on the joint end and put it on the smoker at about 175, squirting often with the leftover juice.

I make a glaze using the juice, honey and brown sugar and brown sugar. Make two bowls one thin and one with a honey consistency that I toss in the fridge. When the ham hits about 125 I start with the thin glaze (pan underneath) and start kicking the air up tp bring the fire to 225. I use the thick glaze now lifting the slices slightly letting the glaze melt in to the ham. I do that until the edges crisp up. I pull the ham at 135-140, wrap it in foil with the pan drippings poured over the ham. It goes into a cooler or a pile of towels for about a half hour. It's always a hit.

I also buy a black forest deli hams that I spike with cloves, let sit overnight, and slow smoke for hours covered lightly to stop from turning black. After resting I break out the slicer and slice it as thin as possible and bag it up. I get about 10- 1lb bags but they don't last.

[Reply]
scho63 08:22 AM 01-03-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I cooked a ham yesterday and it was meh. I’m going to have to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I put pineapple juice and chunk pineapples in the bottom and toothpicked pineapple rings on it and put it in for 15/lb.

It was so meh I didn’t even keep the hock for ham and beans.

Blech.
Sounds like you killed all the ham flavor with pineapple. :-)
[Reply]
scho63 08:27 AM 01-03-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Last hurrah for a bit

Lasagne w/ smoke meatballs and toast

That's very interesting ..... first time in my life I've seen lasagna served with a side of meat balls. :-)

The meat is always in the lasagna in everyone I've eaten. Do you normally do it this way?

I've grown up with mostly Italians back east and I've never seen this. I'm intrigued.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 08:36 AM 01-03-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
Sounds like you killed all the ham flavor with pineapple. :-)
Maybe it was the ham and too much of a salt water product.

The amount of water varies and the more the water, the less the flavor.

Originally Posted by :
"Ham" indicates a cured pork leg that is at least 20.5% protein with no added water.

"Ham with natural juices" is the next level down. It needs to be only 18.5% protein, and generally has about 7 or 8% added water.

"Ham, water added" must contain at least 17% protein, and can contain at most 10% added water by weight.

"Ham and water product" can contain any amount of added water.

Check the label to see how much water is actually added to it (the ham we tasted from Cook's had a whopping 23% added liquid!).

[Reply]
In58men 08:46 AM 01-03-2021
Originally Posted by SPchief:
puree them up and use that in things. Mix a bit of the puree with some s/c as a drizzle, add some to some salsa, mix some with some lime juice and cilantro as a good marinade
Mixing chipotle peppers and ranch makes the best sauce for fish tacos.

Mixing chipotle peppers and mayonnaise makes the best sauce for burgers.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:49 AM 01-03-2021
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
Maybe it was the ham and too much of a salt water product.

The amount of water varies and the more the water, the less the flavor.
Nah. It was still tough. Flavor was still ham (which I’m meh on). Could barely taste anything pineapple so I didn’t wash the flavor out. I drank a gallon of water that night so I it was still salty anyway. LOL

It was just still pretty tough. That’s why I’m thinking I didn’t cook it long enough.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:50 AM 01-03-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
That's very interesting ..... first time in my life I've seen lasagna served with a side of meat balls. :-)

The meat is always in the lasagna in everyone I've eaten. Do you normally do it this way?

I've grown up with mostly Italians back east and I've never seen this. I'm intrigued.
First time making it this way. Lasagna was cheese and spinach, sans meat. Smoked veal and beef meatballs on the side.

Place here called Club Lucky has a cheese lasagna (they offer it with a bolognese as well) that I like to order with a meatball side. So that's where I got the concept but wanted to smoke the meatballs to add a more rustic vibe.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:03 AM 01-03-2021
Sous Vide steak tonight. Trying to dial in the right temperature for these almost 2" thick cuts. Low 130's seems to be a good spot for getting medium rare, but these are thicker steaks than I've tried before.

Salt/Pepper uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours. Thank you FMB for that tip. RIP to you sir.

[Reply]
scho63 09:24 AM 01-03-2021
Originally Posted by cdcox:
I made risotto with hen of the woods mushrooms and a really rich duck stock. The recipe also includes Chardonnay and really good parm.

:-)

[Reply]
scho63 09:29 AM 01-03-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Sous Vide steak tonight. Trying to dial in the right temperature for these almost 2" thick cuts. Low 130's seems to be a good spot for getting medium rare, but these are thicker steaks than I've tried before.

Salt/Pepper uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours. Thank you FMB for that tip. RIP to you sir.

With that much fat, how does it render down at 130? :-)

I did a rib eye last week and the 500 degree oven after searing on stove turned all the fat into butter.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 09:31 AM 01-03-2021
Dry brine for a few hours or a few days is always good thing. That's a nice Porterhouse, 1st cut?. the filet side is huge.

When the marbling isn't the best, brining longer is always a good thing. More salt is not the way to go, more time is.
[Reply]
Page 1061 of 1207
« First < 615619611011105110571058105910601061 1062106310641065107111111161 > Last »
Up