ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1060 of 1207
« First < 605609601010105010561057105810591060 1061106210631064107011101160 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:10 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
How exactly did you cook it?

Actually, never mind.

Try sous vide, or simply using an oven bag to start.

Preheat your oven/grill/whatever after the ham takes its 'bath' (I usually use the oven, set at 450, or you can set for broil and just lower the height of the ham to about 3-4 inches below the heating element), and drop bagged ham into an ice bath for 20 minutes. Then remove from bag, put on baking pan (use a grid if you like) and season/prep ham as you described above. Pop in oven for about 15-20 minutes max. Brush with glaze about every 5-7 minutes.

Comes out super juicy, and glaze should be nice and crusty.
I don't have a sous vide, but I'll try to reproduce something like that.

I did what I described in a foil pan. I put the ham ontop of chunked pineapple to keep the bottom from scorching. And foil over the top with a good seal that wouldn't let any of the moisture out.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:12 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I'm really just not much of a ham person.
Eh me either, but I have a vendor give me one every year, and I'm too cheap to just say fuck it so I cook it.

My BIL does them up pretty good, and what he's told me is just what I did. Maybe I didn't let it cook long enough.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:20 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I don't have a sous vide, but I'll try to reproduce something like that.
You don't need one. All you need is an ice chest that will hold at least 4-5 gallons of water and an instant read thermometer.

Heat 4-5 gallons of water to 145 degrees (up to 150), and pour into ice chest. Place bagged ham in water. Close ice chest lid, and wait about 3 hours. Stir water for about 30 seconds every hour. For a typical ice chest, it will lose about 1 degree of heat per hour, so by the time 3 hours is up, the water bath should be about 140 degrees, which is the ideal temp for a ham (the water will lose another 2-3 degrees from the mass of the ham).

I hang my meats in the water bath, so a bit of paracord or butcher's twine strung across the top of the ice chest, with a couple clips or something to hang the bagged ham from will do, but it's not absolutely necessary; you can simply turn the ham over after stirring the water. Though attaching some kind of string to the bag is a good idea so you can get the ham out without burning your hands trying to reach in and grab the bag.
[Reply]
srvy 02:24 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Ham and beans to bring in the new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A very hammy navy bean and ham. Excellent:-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:30 PM 01-02-2021
I should've mentioned, you need about a gallon of water per pound of meat, generally speaking. When I wrote the above I was thinking about the size ham I usually use, which is more than about 5 lbs. Obviously a bigger ham would require more water.

Also, the minimum temp allowable is 120 degrees. If the water temp falls below that, things won't work properly. Which is why you always want more water; I always use about a gallon more water than what's called for, to eliminate the bath from cooling too much.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:37 PM 01-02-2021
I love a good ham, but not the ones like Ma got for Christmas that have a strong clove flavor to them... it really limits what you can do with it IMO

Just gimme a good hickory smoke style that works with anything
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:41 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I love a good ham, but not the ones like Ma got for Christmas that have a strong clove flavor to them... it really limits what you can do with it IMO

Just gimme a good hickory smoke style that works with anything
Not a fan of clove-based ham seasonings either.

I use a bourbon-based glaze, with honey/molasses/brown sugar and a few other seasonings most of the time.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:45 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Not a fan of clove-based ham seasonings either.

I use a bourbon-based glaze, with honey/molasses/brown sugar and a few other seasonings most of the time.
Yeah its just such a strong and distinct flavor that overpowers everything from grilled ham n cheese to ham n eggs
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:49 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yeah its just such a strong and distinct flavor that overpowers everything from grilled ham n cheese to ham n eggs
Exactly. Only time I use cloves anymore is when I make a Chinese baked ham. Basically the same glaze as what you find on typical Chinese BBQ ribs. Chunk up (or turn into strips) some left-over ham and candy them in that stuff. Makes a good party app.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:59 PM 01-02-2021
Decided to do tacos and cut up some adobo chipotles instead of salsa or something.

Holy fuck those things were burn your face off hot. But it tasted really good. If I’d have cut them into smaller pieces they would have kicked 9 kinds of ass. I ate a piece on a chip though, and that’s about the extent of what I’m good for.

It was a nice change up.

[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 09:59 PM 01-02-2021
I cooked a ham yesterday and it was meh. I’m going to have to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I put pineapple juice and chunk pineapples in the bottom and toothpicked pineapple rings on it and put it in for 15/lb.

It was so meh I didn’t even keep the hock for ham and beans.

Blech.
Make your own glaze. Typically a mixture of pineapple, cherry and pear juice with brown sugar mixed in works well. You can toothpick pineapple rings and cherries to it, but imo it really doesn't do much.

Be sure to score a ham prior to glazing and baste every 15mins till pulled. I never really went to much off of times. The ham is already cooked when you get it so you are not doing much beyond reheating and adding a sweet glaze on the exterior. I usually judge when to pull when I felt enough marrow has oozed out to my liking.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 10:00 PM 01-02-2021
Leftovers tonight. Al pastor tomorrow.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:08 PM 01-02-2021
Last hurrah for a bit

Lasagne w/ smoke meatballs and toast

[Reply]
Easy 6 10:24 PM 01-02-2021
Decided to do tacos and cut up some adobo chipotles instead of salsa or something.

Holy fuck those things were burn your face off hot. But it tasted really good. If I’d have cut them into smaller pieces they would have kicked 9 kinds of ass. I ate a piece on a chip though, and that’s about the extent of what I’m good for.

It was a nice change up.

First time I made fish tacos, made the mistake of putting cuts of those peppers in my sour cream sauce and it was a bastard... much hotter than anticipated

After that just the sauce from those cans worked much better
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:29 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Last hurrah for a bit

Lasagne w/ smoke meatballs and toast

This fucking guy
[Reply]
Page 1060 of 1207
« First < 605609601010105010561057105810591060 1061106210631064107011101160 > Last »
Up