ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>I am not a fan of Veach's "tier" approach.
RunKC 10:04 AM 05-04-2021
Well looks like the Arrowhead Pride guys you all hate are going to work for BJ Kissel at Let it fly media so there will be a new group of Arrowhead Pride analysts for you to hate soon enough :-)
[Reply]
staylor26 10:16 AM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Well looks like the Arrowhead Pride guys you all hate are going to work for BJ Kissel at Let it fly media so there will be a new group of Arrowhead Pride analysts for you to hate soon enough :-)
I don’t hate all of them. I honestly like Craig Stout.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:46 AM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I don’t hate all of them. I honestly like Craig Stout.
Stout is the best one and I can handle Swanson for the most part. Matt Lane would be fine if he didn’t come across as a “know it all” douche. Plus his voice is annoying as fuck.

For instance. He gave the draft a B+.....if you swap Kaindoh and Smith to the two 2nd round picks and take Bolton in the 4th and Humphrey in the 6th. With where they got picked at? It was a C.

Then goes on to say that value goes out the window once they’re taken because the draft pick has been used. Well which is it then?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:43 AM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by wachashi:
There is zero chance the Chiefs front office drafted Bolton where they did if they think he's only a "two-down player." If Hitchens can be this team's dime linebacker, (see AFC Championship game against Buffalo), then Bolton certainly can fill that role. If you project Bolton to play MIKE in 2022 and call the defense, the C- grade in the OP does not compute. It's one of the most important positions on the defense, especially in a scheme that wants to shift alignments pre-snap (also, see AFC Championship against Buffalo).
Exactly.

Bolton is going to replace Hitchens. He's a 3-down player and your future defensive signal caller.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:38 PM 05-04-2021
I guess Veach’s tier approach and our gaping hole at DE is why Direckshun has the Chiefs losing the SB again to the Bucs in his new mock!

:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:42 PM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I guess Veach’s tier approach and our gaping hole at DE is why Direckshun has the Chiefs losing the SB again to the Bucs in his new mock!

[Reply]
kccrow 07:56 PM 05-04-2021
I'm in alot of agreement with RunKC and a little disagreement with staylor here.

I'm a huge proponent of drafting based on production. If a pick comes down to a player that produced versus a player that has all the athletic traits but didn't produce, I'm going to take the guy that produced every single time.

It's a reason I was much higher on guys like Joe Tryon and Ronnie Perkins over guys like Odafe Oweh and Kwity Paye. Tryon and Perkins don't lack athleticism, they just don't show that "supreme" athleticism that you see with Oweh and Paye... yet both were far more productive than either, and, really, both combined.

I want football players, not track athletes. That's one reason I gave Bolton an A grade and have been high on him through the process. Bolton is a football player. He makes the plays and the hits, he aligns and diagnoses, all that. He doesn't run a 4.40 as an MLB but he's ahead of the curve with a 4.58 as an LB.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:00 PM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'm in alot of agreement with RunKC and a little disagreement with staylor here.

I'm a huge proponent of drafting based on production. If a pick comes down to a player that produced versus a player that has all the athletic traits but didn't produce, I'm going to take the guy that produced every single time.

It's a reason I was much higher on guys like Joe Tryon and Ronnie Perkins over guys like Odafe Oweh and Kwity Paye. Tryon and Perkins don't lack athleticism, they just don't show that "supreme" athleticism that you see with Oweh and Paye... yet both were far more productive than either, and, really, both combined.

I want football players, not track athletes. That's one reason I gave Bolton an A grade and have been high on him through the process. Bolton is a football player. He makes the plays and the hits, he aligns and diagnoses, all that. He doesn't run a 4.40 as an MLB but he's ahead of the curve with a 4.58 as an LB.
I think you need a combination of the two. It’s not an either/or thing for me whatsoever. When you’re picking at the bottom of every single round, you sometimes have to take big swings on guys like Kaindoh, Gay, and Oweh if you want blue chippers. No risk it, no biscuit.

I’m also more comfortable doing that when you have a great coaching staff like we do on both sides of the ball.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:34 PM 05-05-2021

Yeah, if it's about production, Bolton and Humphrey were great picks.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:26 AM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yeah, if it's about production, Bolton and Humphrey were great picks.
Humphrey is an outstanding athlete. That’s what gives him a high ceiling.

Bolton has a high floor. I think he can be productive, but not one of the best LB’s in the league
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 09:53 AM 05-11-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Humphrey is an outstanding athlete. That’s what gives him a high ceiling.

Bolton has a high floor. I think he can be productive, but not one of the best LB’s in the league
So, I just want to make sure I'm understanding your logic, a late second round pick should equate to one of the best at their position in every draft?

You must be quite the draft guru...

I'm amazed Veach hasn't reached out for your input
[Reply]
RunKC 11:05 AM 05-11-2021
Originally Posted by Willie Lanier:
So, I just want to make sure I'm understanding your logic, a late second round pick should equate to one of the best at their position in every draft?

You must be quite the draft guru...

I'm amazed Veach hasn't reached out for your input
Bolton was apparently a first round prospect that fell. He was high on some of these experts boards like Daniel Jeremiah.

So yeah there should be high expectations
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:39 AM 05-06-2021

I think we took production high, and we took athletic traits low. When you have a stacked roster that makes sense. It's how you get the occasional stud late in the draft. We don't really need any more mediocre guys, we need to hit on some late round gold.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:44 AM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think we took production high, and we took athletic traits low. When you have a stacked roster that makes sense. It's how you get the occasional stud late in the draft. We don't really need any more mediocre guys, we need to hit on some late round gold.
And last year we did the opposite at those positions.

We went for the high upside great size/athleticism LB in the 2nd last year. This year, they went with the productive guy with all the intangibles and baseline athleticism.

Last year they took a safe high floor guy at DE in Danna on day 3. This year, they went for the HR with elite size/athleticism at the position on day 3.

We didn’t need another Gay and Danna this year. We needed Hitchen’s future replacement, and we needed an edge rusher with legitimate starting upside.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:48 AM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
We couldn’t do it due to Orlando Brown Jr, but I would love for us to trade down and/or trade players and load up on mid/late rd picks.

There’s always good value falling.

Charles Omenihu
Darnell Mooney
Trey Smith
Hakeem Adeniji
Jon Runyan Jr
Mike Danna (what our staff saw)
Bryce Hall

So much value there. I know people say “there’s not enough roster spots” but I don’t agree. There’s lots of guys like Neimann, Watts, Wylie, Pringle, Saunders etc at the back end that can absolutely be replaced.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Up