ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What have you done with your CD collection?
mr. tegu 10:47 AM 08-07-2022
I’ve got a huge box of CDs I really don’t know what to do with. A few years back I took the time to put them on the computer so I have them digital now. But now they seem mostly worthless just taking up space. Have you thrown yours out? Keeping them for nostalgia? Are they worth anything? Better to just sit on them for any reason?
[Reply]
HemiEd 02:51 PM 08-07-2022
Interesting timing on this thread. Back in 08, I ordered my Challenger with a system that has a HDD and I had loaded over 500 songs on it from CD.

A couple months ago, the HDD and Nav system went kapoot. After many attempts to recover and replace the HDD I bought a unit off of car-part.com.

It had never had any music loaded to the HDD fortunately and I got to spend a few days loading all the CDs on there once I found the box they were packed in.

IMO, someday people will regret discarding them. I still have a lot of cassettes, a few 8 tracks and a bunch of VHS. My old Power Wagon has a cassette player and my Ram also plays CDs..:-)
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 02:55 PM 08-07-2022
Converted to MP3 many decades ago and given away. Ended up deleting 90+% of it as I don't listen to that stuff anymore.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 03:09 PM 08-07-2022
Threw away or gave away those dust collectors many years ago. I listen to either Amazon Prime Music or a playlist on youtube.
[Reply]
Woogieman 03:13 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It would be a nice backup system. I uploaded all of my CDs onto itunes and then we donated them or sold them or something. Now itunes won't let me login and have put all of my newer music "on the cloud" against my wishes, so I'm worried that the next time I buy a computer it's going to be a nightmare.

I actually think the new music is more at risk than the old music, though. But itunes is the worst software ever created.
Hate those Apple pricks. Took me a while to figure out what was happening, but I tunes kept deleting my music that wasn't ripped from CDs or purchased from ITunes. Every time they push an update, which is constantly, I would lose songs.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:18 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Interesting timing on this thread. Back in 08, I ordered my Challenger with a system that has a HDD and I had loaded over 500 songs on it from CD.

A couple months ago, the HDD and Nav system went kapoot. After many attempts to recover and replace the HDD I bought a unit off of car-part.com.

It had never had any music loaded to the HDD fortunately and I got to spend a few days loading all the CDs on there once I found the box they were packed in.

IMO, someday people will regret discarding them. I still have a lot of cassettes, a few 8 tracks and a bunch of VHS. My old Power Wagon has a cassette player and my Ram also plays CDs..:-)
I was listening to a podcast (I think it was the Watch but I don't know that for sure, might have been the big picture podcast - Either way, doesn't matter). Dude was talking about watching this movie that he hadn't seen in awhile and was supposed to have a big influence on this movie he was excited about.

His comments were he has 7 streaming platforms (he didn't say which, but I know he's referenced stuff from Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Disney, and Paramount. I don't know what the other 2 are) and he ended up having to dig the DVD out of his basement like a caveman to watch the show he wanted to see.

And it was predictable. Like everything else, the streaming movement started because it was cheaper and magically corporations have squeezed every possible cent of revenue out of everything (or are getting there) and to see everything you want to see, you're paying more than you used to for cable.

It's certainly possible we'll see a swing back into owning the rights to media at least, if not a physical copy.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:19 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Did you store your music on your hard drive also?
My old CD music is on files that I can find with a lot of hassle. The new music won't let me, and it annoys me. I think Apple is going to screw me over at some point.

I might have to switch to one of those streaming services, but I hate leasing or subscribing to things. I want to make a one-time purchase, and the entire tech world no longer wants to do that.

I'm moving toward the position of living an entirely off-line life at some point. I can make my own music and program my own word processing software.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:06 PM 08-07-2022
I threw them all away. It's all on YouTube. Any song.
[Reply]
Pablo 04:29 PM 08-07-2022
They're in a big book somewhere in my basement storage. Maybe they'll see the light of day in the next decade, probably not. I won't throw them away because they take up no space and I don't really know where they are. Prolly a couple hundred hanging out.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 05:33 PM 08-07-2022
Still have a collection of around 4 to 5 thousand.

My vinyl collection literally dwarfs it though :

[

[Reply]
rabblerouser 05:36 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Goddamn, youtube sounds like SHIT tho.

I mean, i don't put much stock in the internet, anyways.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 05:43 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Still have a collection of around 4 to 5 thousand.

My vinyl collection literally dwarfs it though :

[

I think I love you so what am I so afraid of
[Reply]
BWillie 05:43 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Goddamn, youtube sounds like SHIT tho.

I mean, i don't put much stock in the internet, anyways.
Does it? All sounds the same to me.
[Reply]
Bugeater 06:02 PM 08-07-2022
I still have them, they're in a couple totes in the bottom of my TV cabinet.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:10 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Why don’t you just get Amazon music? You don’t have to rip anything, you can listen to whatever you want. And it’s like $8 a month. I love my Amazon music.
I used it for a while, but the app was terrible and the Echo integration was pretty bad for both being Amazon (and the Alexa apps is terrible). Mileage varies, of course.

I was a loooong holdout for online music in general. I had a decent collection of MP3s from college that's grown a decent amount of the years and always defaulted to listening to my own. My car even has a hard drive for all of my music as opposed to connecting to an online service.

I finally gave into Spotify a while back though and really like it.... and it integrates better with my Echo than Amazon music did. :-) The offline music option doesn't take a ton of storage and their music suggestions are pretty spot on (or at least deeper dives into bands I already like).
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:30 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Please tip your waitress on the way out, preferrably with cash.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up