ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>2023 Left Tackles?
Dante84 01:52 PM 07-15-2022
With OBJ having an over-inflated sense of his value, it's not a sure thing that he plays for KC in 2023 or 2024. If he balls out, his demands will go up. If he plays the same, his demands might stay the same, and if he gets hurt or plays poorly, we'll need a viable alternative waiting in the wings. Even if we tag him again and he plays, we'll need something cooking on the back burner.

It sounds like LT may have climbed up on our needs list, right below Edge. Depending on how the 1st round goes and where we're picking, that may be the choice.

Who are some guys that will be around in the mid-late 1st that you like?
[Reply]
kccrow 03:25 PM 07-15-2022
If we're talking about tackles, the Chiefs are likely in a trade-up scenario unless they severely underperform expectations.

I do like Zion Nelson from Miami quite a bit in terms of "likely," reasonable targets.

I'd keep my eyes on Carter Warren from Pitt as well. I think he's going higher in the draft than current ratings.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:22 AM 07-19-2022
Feels like the pre-season T ratings are only viable for maybe the first 2-3 guys. We aren't likely in on them.

So I can't see a real conversation to be had until at least October when some of these guys have a few games under their belts.
[Reply]
O.city 09:24 AM 07-19-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Feels like the pre-season T ratings are only viable for maybe the first 2-3 guys. We aren't likely in on them.

So I can't see a real conversation to be had until at least October when some of these guys have a few games under their belts.
I feel like in the past 7-8 years, LT is a spot teams have really figured out and the guys that go outside the top 3 or so don't usually pan out.

Maybe I'm way off there.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:37 AM 07-19-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
I feel like in the past 7-8 years, LT is a spot teams have really figured out and the guys that go outside the top 3 or so don't usually pan out.

Maybe I'm way off there.
I mean it's too early to judge on guys drafted much sooner than say 2018. And Brian O'Neil and Orlando Brown are probably the 2 best Ts out of that class. Alex Cappa is solid. All 2nd day picks.

Kaleb McGary is probably the best T so far from 19 - went 31st. Jawaan Taylor at 35. Ramczyk went 32 in '17, Cam Robinson went 34.

'16 was mostly chalk. 20 is trending that way. But I don't think they've unlocked a blueprint by any means. I mean Jordan Mailata went in the 7th in 2020 and played really well when Peters went down and has become one of the better young Ts in the game. I think Larry Borom may follow a similar arc in Chicago.

It isn't easy, but it's doable.
[Reply]
O.city 10:44 AM 07-19-2022
I mean it's too early to judge on guys drafted much sooner than say 2018. And Brian O'Neil and Orlando Brown are probably the 2 best Ts out of that class. Alex Cappa is solid. All 2nd day picks.

Kaleb McGary is probably the best T so far from 19 - went 31st. Jawaan Taylor at 35. Ramczyk went 32 in '17, Cam Robinson went 34.

'16 was mostly chalk. 20 is trending that way. But I don't think they've unlocked a blueprint by any means. I mean Jordan Mailata went in the 7th in 2020 and played really well when Peters went down and has become one of the better young Ts in the game. I think Larry Borom may follow a similar arc in Chicago.

To me it's similar to pass rushers. I readily admit that I'm biased towards the ass kicking Nick Bosa's and high pick LT's. They're the shiny objects that I like and readily know we won't have a chance at.

So you're looking at the later round developmental guys.
[Reply]
O.city 10:45 AM 07-19-2022
We actually were set up in a great spot in this past draft to have taken Petit Frier in round 2 and let him learn for a year.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:21 AM 07-19-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
We actually were set up in a great spot in this past draft to have taken Petit Frier in round 2 and let him learn for a year.
Had to get that 3rd safety, bro.

Yes, Petit-Frere was on my list of pretty desirable targets at the back of 2. Hell, just his presence on the roster may have made the contract discussions go smore smoothly.

Cook had better be really damn good...
[Reply]
O.city 11:25 AM 07-19-2022
Had to get that 3rd safety, bro.

Yes, Petit-Frere was on my list of pretty desirable targets at the back of 2. Hell, just his presence on the roster may have made the contract discussions go smore smoothly.

Cook had better be really damn good...
Worse case scenario, you sign OBJ and you have Petit Frere as a RT.
[Reply]
O.city 11:35 AM 07-19-2022
I'm hopeful Cook is a good player. He needs to be.

We really need this draft to be a big hit. Like an all time Chiefs draft.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:51 PM 07-20-2022

Man, I'm Mizzou fan and I wouldn't have drafted Borom. It'd be great to see him do well, but I'd still be a bit shocked.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:11 PM 07-20-2022
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Man, I'm Mizzou fan and I wouldn't have drafted Borom. It'd be great to see him do well, but I'd still be a bit shocked.
He played well for Chicago last year when injuries put him in the starting lineup.
[Reply]
Up