ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 49 of 884
« First < 394546474849 505152535999149549 > Last »
Lenny "The Cool" Lounge>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:54 PM 02-12-2017
Interesting thought about putting a Put Option on Sears stock. They had a recent spike but I don't see that lasting through 2017.

I can't see that company staying a float much longer. It's dropped so much you'd think mutual funds start dropping it's shares as well. I haven't been in a Sears store for anything in years.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:59 PM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Interesting thought about putting a Put Option on Sears stock. They had a recent spike but I don't see that lasting through 2017.

I can't see that company staying a float much longer. It's dropped so much you'd think mutual funds start dropping it's shares as well. I haven't been in a Sears store for anything in years.
Sears is done. I think they got the spike because they sold craftsman. I don't think they have anything left to sell.
[Reply]
loochy 06:05 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Sears is done. I think they got the spike because they sold craftsman. I don't think they have anything left to sell.
I refuse to go there for tools now because their floor staff are now rabid salesmen. I cant just browse along and then ask when I need help. I'm attacked by a salesman every 30 seconds. F that.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:39 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by loochy:
I refuse to go there for tools now because their floor staff are now rabid salesmen. I cant just browse along and then ask when I need help. I'm attacked by a salesman every 30 seconds. F that.
Come out here. It's all high schoolers, and they probably don't even know what most of the tools in there are. If they do, they're too busy playing grab ass to actually do any selling.

I will say the outfit here has a price match policy on the outdoor stuff. Probably on their appliances and other hardgoods too.

But looking at their store, they're done. I could look up their retail metrics, but they're done. The biggest player in the direct business for a fucking century. Done.
[Reply]
Amnorix 11:42 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Come out here. It's all high schoolers, and they probably don't even know what most of the tools in there are. If they do, they're too busy playing grab ass to actually do any selling.

I will say the outfit here has a price match policy on the outdoor stuff. Probably on their appliances and other hardgoods too.

But looking at their store, they're done. I could look up their retail metrics, but they're done. The biggest player in the direct business for a fucking century. Done.

One stat I liked when I was younger was that back in the day, Sears accounted for 1% of the US GDP. For every $100 spent in the US economy, $1 of that was spent at Sears. That is how big they were.

A few years ago, though, Wal-Mart was 2% of the economy, so I guess it's not quite as amazing as I thought.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:55 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
One stat I liked when I was younger was that back in the day, Sears accounted for 1% of the US GDP. For every $100 spent in the US economy, $1 of that was spent at Sears. That is how big they were.

A few years ago, though, Wal-Mart was 2% of the economy, so I guess it's not quite as amazing as I thought.
Wow. That is incredible.

Yeah Wal-Mart is the devil, but look at the per capita retail stores. There used to be corner stores everywhere. I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet Sears had a larger percentage of all retail sales than did Wal-Mart, but I may be wrong.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:02 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
One stat I liked when I was younger was that back in the day, Sears accounted for 1% of the US GDP. For every $100 spent in the US economy, $1 of that was spent at Sears. That is how big they were.

A few years ago, though, Wal-Mart was 2% of the economy, so I guess it's not quite as amazing as I thought.
I wonder where Amazon ranks these days.
[Reply]
Amnorix 12:08 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I wonder where Amazon ranks these days.

Apparently way behind. According to this list, Wal-mart sales are $350 billion compared to $61 billion for Amazon. 2015 data

https://nrf.com/resources/annual-ret...retailers-2016


:-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:10 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I wonder where Amazon ranks these days.
In order to completely derail the thread, wife tells me Wal-Mart has free 2 day shipping to compete with Amazon.
[Reply]
Amnorix 12:12 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
In order to completely derail the thread, wife tells me Wal-Mart has free 2 day shipping to compete with Amazon.

While looking up the stat above, I learned somewhat to my surprise that Wal_mart is the second-biggest online retailer. Their $13 billion in sales is dwarfed by Amazon's, but they're still number two.
[Reply]
scho63 12:17 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
Not this week. I screwed up and missed TSLA. Wanted to jump in over a week ago and stock just keeps chugging higher.

I need to find a few goodies to look at.

I'm not big of bank stocks but they certainly will benefit from Trump and rising rates.

Do you ever buy any LEAPS?
TSLA Tesla up to $280 from $225 on Jan 6, 2017 when I wanted to get in.

If I bought the LEAPS, I would have made a HUGE score. :-)

Sadly, this is my history :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:35 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
One stat I liked when I was younger was that back in the day, Sears accounted for 1% of the US GDP. For every $100 spent in the US economy, $1 of that was spent at Sears. That is how big they were.

A few years ago, though, Wal-Mart was 2% of the economy, so I guess it's not quite as amazing as I thought.
This has no value to the thread, but I remember reading once that McDonald's purchased something like 5% or 8% or thereabouts of the entire U.S. potato crop.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:38 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Come out here. It's all high schoolers, and they probably don't even know what most of the tools in there are. If they do, they're too busy playing grab ass to actually do any selling.

I will say the outfit here has a price match policy on the outdoor stuff. Probably on their appliances and other hardgoods too.

But looking at their store, they're done. I could look up their retail metrics, but they're done. The biggest player in the direct business for a ****ing century. Done.
When I was a kid living in rural middle America, the big three were Sears, JC Penney, and Montgomery Wards. Apparently that business model doesn't work any more.

The thing that's somewhat ironic is that Sears and Wards were to some extent a primitive version of Amazon. They sent you a catalog, you called in your order, and then they had a warehouse-type place where you went to pick it up. That's pretty much exactly Amazon's model, but Amazon has the internet. One wonders why the classic catalog stores never got ahead of the curve.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:56 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
Apparently way behind. According to this list, Wal-mart sales are $350 billion compared to $61 billion for Amazon. 2015 data

https://nrf.com/resources/annual-ret...retailers-2016


:-)
Ah. It's good to know that I account for half of Amazons gross. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 01:09 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Ah. It's good to know that I account for half of Amazons gross. :-)
If you have $30 billion to spend, you and I need to have a chat... :-)
[Reply]
Page 49 of 884
« First < 394546474849 505152535999149549 > Last »
Up