ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 205 of 270
« First < 105155195201202203204205 206207208209215255 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do we want DeHop?
ROYC75 01:21 PM 03-01-2023
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...9536dcd3&ei=21

Story by Andrew Gould

The Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl without a star wide receiver, but they could reportedly make an elite offense even scarier by acquiring DeAndre Hopkins.

NFL insider Benjamin Albright told PHNX Cardinals that Kansas City is the "primary suitor" for Hopkins. He doesn't know the draft compensation the Cardinals would receive, but he said it's more likely they get a second-round pick than a first.

After the 2022 season, theScore's Jordan Schultz reported that the Cardinals plan to trade Hopkins this offseason.

Arizona hired a new general manager and head coach after a disappointing four-win season, and Hopkins is set to make $19.45 million (with a $30.75 million cap hit) in 2023. The Cardinals could seek a clean slate by moving the three-time All-Pro wideout, who turns 31 in June.

Hopkins began his Cardinals career by tallying 1,407 yards and six touchdowns in 2020. However, multiple lower body injuries limited him to 10 games in 2021, and he served a six-game suspension to start the 2022 season for violating the NFL's PED policy.

Yet he remains an impact player when on the field. Hopkins totaled 474 receiving yards in six full games with quarterback Kyler Murray last season.

Now imagine what he can accomplish when catching passes from Patrick Mahomes.

The Chiefs flourished without a star replacement for Tyreek Hill, but they could still benefit by solidifying the position this offseason. JuJu Smith-Schuster is a free agent after garnering 78 catches for 933 yards on a one-year deal. The depth chart features several talented question marks in Mecole Hardman, Kadarius Toney, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Adding Hopkins could be great news for Kansas City, but terrible for all opposing defenses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do we want a high priced prima donna?
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:23 PM 04-03-2023
Haven’t heard anything about ARI actually releasing DHop around here, but if they do, Veach should be all over that. Whatever it takes.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 03:39 PM 04-03-2023
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
You can't compare position contracts and equate it to value.

Best way to do it would be...

Would you rather have Hitchens back or Ward. (current roster)
The fuck you can't. Why do QB's make so much damn money? That's exactly how you determine value to a team.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:20 PM 04-03-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Haven’t heard anything about ARI actually releasing DHop around here, but if they do, Veach should be all over that. Whatever it takes.
If we can trade for him I think we will.

If he's a FA he ain't come'n here. We'll get outbid...
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:01 PM 04-03-2023
Originally Posted by Rausch:

True. But if they release him, Deandre will be able to pick which team he goes to.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:36 PM 04-11-2023
First day of Arizona’s offseason conditioning program…

Jonathan Gannon’s full quote regarding #AZCardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins. pic.twitter.com/nwx43Eiuw7

— Tyler Drake (@Tdrake4sports) April 11, 2023

[Reply]
O.city 07:17 AM 04-12-2023
Seems like the Cards may have overplayed their hand here. At this point, who has the $ to make a trade?
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 07:21 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by Rausch:

Not sure he’s going to the highest bidder. I think his priority is being on a winner. Weren’t there reports that he wants to be in KC?
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 07:35 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
Not sure he’s going to the highest bidder. I think his priority is being on a winner. Weren’t there reports that he wants to be in KC?
If he gets cut and we get him on a team friendly contract, Veach wins the entire offseason. The Chiefs will have somehow improved in almost every area and that is before even adding draft picks. It would be ridiculous.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:48 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Seems like the Cards may have overplayed their hand here. At this point, who has the $ to make a trade?
Yep, they messed around and ended up getting stuck holding the bag. They're not going to trade him now, they know they won't get anything resembling a good return for him. My guess is he plays out 2023 in Arizona and then becomes a free agent. I don't think they'll cut him this offseason because there's just not that much savings when you account for his nearly $23M dead cap hit.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:57 AM 04-12-2023
I guess I just don’t understand why they dont lower their asking price to what somebody is willing to pay. Even if it’s only a 4th or 5th…that’s better than having him catch passes from a back up qb in a throw away year and you can use that pick up improve the future of your team and it opens up future cap space and reps for younger players at the same time.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:00 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I guess I just don’t understand why they dont lower their asking price to what somebody is willing to pay. Even if it’s only a 4th or 5th…that’s better than having him catch passes from a back up qb in a throw away year and you can use that pick up improve the future of your team and it opens up future cap space and reps for younger players at the same time.
Because they put themselves in a vice. His contract value is too high, teams know they'll eventually have to cut him but know they can't do it now because of the dead cap hit. Teams are just going to wait and see if they can get him for nothing. For all we know, the Cardinals reduced their asking price and still nobody is interested. If teams truly think the Cardinals have backed themselves in a corner, they'll wait for "free" before they give up draft picks, even 4th or 5th rounders.

And the reason I say that is because teams know they're trading draft picks for the privilege of immediately trying to negotiate a price reduction with Hopkins and his agent. It's just not a situation teams want to be a part of.
[Reply]
scho63 10:02 AM 04-12-2023
I think this would be like signing JuJu or a few steps better than the shot with Josh Gordon.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:05 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
I think this would be like signing JuJu or a few steps better than the shot with Josh Gordon.
Are you comparing Hopkins to Juju and Josh Gordon?
[Reply]
Dante84 10:10 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
Respectfully disagree. Hopkins is arguably a top 10 WR, and inarguably a top 15 WR.

JuJu was a high-end WR2. Gordon was a bottom of the roster bum.

Hopkins price tag will be high, so what you pay for would be short term production.

For this to happen:
1 - Hopkins needs to be released.
2 - Veach needs to extend/restructure. CJ is the obvious candidate.
3 - Hopkins cap number and contract have to be digestible. If OBJ's contract with Baltimore is the floor for Hopkins new deal, then we are likely out.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 10:10 AM 04-12-2023
At this point you kinda have to wonder is there anyone we would be willing to trade/cut to open up that amount of money. It seems that if we want that kind of money, instead of going into the draft with the goal of getting 2+ WRs maybe we trade/cut someone we have no intention of paying next year, get what we can if it's a trade, and then say we had to get rid of them to get DHop. I read a report that scouts aren't as sold on this draft for WRs as they have been in past drafts, so if the Chiefs have that same feeling then maybe they see a better scenario to have DHop be the vet, draft the Rookie, then release/cut someone and draft their replacement instead of putting all their proverbial eggs into the WR basket.
[Reply]
Page 205 of 270
« First < 105155195201202203204205 206207208209215255 > Last »
Up