ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 252 of 3903
« First < 152202242248249250251252 2532542552562623023527521252 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SupDock 04:37 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
This isn’t even swine flu level of bad which affected more than just the elderly from a fatality stand point.

People need to chill out. This overreaction has the potential to do much more damage the virus itself if it doesn’t go unchecked.
What are you basing this on?
This is the 2 month mmwr from the CDC about 2 months in H1N1

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmw...827a4.htmApril 2009, CDC reported the first two cases in the United States of human infection with a novel influenza A (H1N1) virus (1). As of July 6, a total of 122 countries had reported 94,512 cases of novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection, 429 of which were fatal; in the United States, a total of 33,902 cases were reported, 170 of which were*fatal."

Another piece of data
CDC estimates that between about 2,500 and 6,000 2009 H1N1-related deaths occurred between April and October 17, 2009. The mid-level in this range is about 3,900 2009 H1N1-related deaths.

Later on we determine that it killed a lot more people than we thought.
[Reply]
sedated 04:38 PM 03-14-2020
This isn’t even swine flu level of bad which affected more than just the elderly from a fatality stand point.

People need to chill out. This overreaction has the potential to do much more damage the virus itself if it doesn’t go unchecked.
And yet 3 major European countries are on lockdown having closed everything but grocery stores and pharmacies, after it got much worse than here.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:40 PM 03-14-2020
put in a wal mart grocery delivery order 2 days ago

it just got canceled

jesus fuck
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:47 PM 03-14-2020
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think what many people are overlooking when comparing the swine flu to the corona virus is the fact that swine flu you would show symptoms the first two-days if you were sick.

With the CoronaVirus you show no symptoms the first five-ten days. So you could be out spreading it and not even know it. That's what makes it so dangerous.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:47 PM 03-14-2020

Please read this stat - over half the cases in France in ICU are under age 60. This isn’t just a disease that impacts grandparents and elderly. https://t.co/sJcTvvi9ai

— Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT) March 14, 2020

[Reply]
Raiderhater 04:51 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
True, but if it is actually worse than we're thinking and we sit on our hands it could end up doing more damage than necessary. Pick your poison.
Let’s explore the possibilities and, I acknowledge I am talking worst case scenarios here. But if we are talking worst case scenarios for the virus then worst case scenarios for or reaction/handling of it are equally relevant.

Just today I am hearing people around me are going to start working from home. That’s great for the few who can but, most can’t. What happens when people don’t have money to pay bills, rent, morgage or buy groceries? What happens when you can’t buy groceries because stores have been closed down?

I was talking with my barber this morning about the subject and he mentioned that the government had just released money for all the people expecting it. We talked about the consequences of those people not getting that money, the riots and such that would ensue. Imagine what happens when, hell I’ll be conservative and say a quarter of the country shuts down.

The swine flu took 18,000 lives. And that is indeed tragic, but not society altering, as is obvious in how we didn’t shut down over it. A national emergency wasn’t even called until a 1,000 deaths had occurred, and even at that point there was still fucking toilet paper on the shelves.

Are some reasonable measures like travel bans prudent? Absolutely. But cancelling life is just irresponsible and needs to be checked before it goes much further.
[Reply]
Donger 04:51 PM 03-14-2020

H1N1 R0 was 1.4 to 1.6. This is higher based on the data we have so far, around 2.2

The mortality rate was also well less than 1%. This bug is around 3% so far.

The precautions being taken based on those numbers aren't an over-reaction.
[Reply]
007 04:53 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Is there already an old coronavirus?
[Reply]
SupDock 04:54 PM 03-14-2020
Let’s explore the possibilities and, I acknowledge I am talking worst case scenarios here. But if we are talking worst case scenarios for the virus then worst case scenarios for or reaction/handling of it are equally relevant.

Just today I am hearing people around me are going to start working from home. That’s great for the few who can but, most can’t. What happens when people don’t have money to pay bills, rent, morgage or buy groceries? What happens when you can’t buy groceries because stores have been closed down?

I was talking with my barber this morning about the subject and he mentioned that the government had just released money for all the people expecting it. We talked about the consequences of those people not getting that money, the riots and such that would ensue. Imagine what happens when, hell I’ll be conservative and say a quarter of the country shuts down.

The swine flu took 18,000 lives. And that is indeed tragic, but not society altering, as is obvious in how we didn’t shut down over it. A national emergency wasn’t even called until a 1,000 deaths had occurred, and even at that point there was still fucking toilet paper on the shelves.

Are some reasonable measures like travel bans prudent? Absolutely. But cancelling life is just irresponsible and needs to be checked before it goes much further.
I think I will listen to the people in charge of these things instead.
[Reply]
SupDock 04:55 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
Is there already an old coronavirus?
There are multiple coronaviruses. Covid-19 is the new one
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:56 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think what many people are overlooking when comparing the swine flu to the corona virus is the fact that swine flu you would show symptoms the first two-days if you were sick.

With the CoronaVirus you show no symptoms the first five-ten days. So you could be out spreading it and not even know it. That's what makes it so dangerous.
Those numbers go along with what they are guessing.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:56 PM 03-14-2020
how long until it's time to flee urban areas?
[Reply]
siberian khatru 04:58 PM 03-14-2020

The swine flu took 18,000 lives. And that is indeed tragic, but not society altering, as is obvious in how we didn’t shut down over it. A national emergency wasn’t even called until a 1,000 deaths had occurred, and even at that point there was still ****ing toilet paper on the shelves.

You realize that swine flu stat was the final score, and we’re in the first quarter of the Covid game? That Covid is highly contagious and its infection rate increases exponentially? It doesn’t go 1, 2, 3, 4 ... It goes 1, 2, 4, 16, 32 ...

The fear isn’t that it’s the Andromeda Strain and people will drop dead in the streets. It’s that infections will explode and overwhelm the health care system. We’re trying to slow the infection rate — “bend the curve.”
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:58 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
how long until it's time to flee urban areas?
If you have to ask then you're already too late.
[Reply]
Donger 04:58 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
There are multiple coronaviruses. Covid-19 is the new one
SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus. The disease it causes is COVID-19.
[Reply]
Page 252 of 3903
« First < 152202242248249250251252 2532542552562623023527521252 > Last »
Up