ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Nzoner's Game Room>If Barry Bonds isn't a Hall of Famer by the end of the day, it's a failure by the HOF
Mephistopheles Janx 10:12 AM 01-25-2022
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33138884

---

And I say that is horse shit. The only thing from that wife beating steroid using piece of shit that belongs in the HOF is the ball that got branded with the asterisk.

Fuck Bonds, Fuck Clemens, Fuck Sosa, Fuck McGwire.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:10 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Yeah. I'm probably a fairweather fan of baseball at best and this makes the entire HOF look like an absolute embarrassment. Baseball as a whole is sure good at making itself look as inept as possible nowadays.
No doubt, voting 1 guy in, and many thought there would be zero this year... dumb.

Games being blacked out in cities hours from the stadium...dumb
[Reply]
Bump 08:12 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
In 1998, the tabloid newspaper The Globe reported that Malone had been a defendant in paternity lawsuits, filed shortly after Malone began his professional basketball career in the late 1980s. The newspaper alleged that he was the father of three children: two by Bonita Ford, a woman approximately his age from his hometown of Summerfield, Louisiana, and one with Gloria Bell, who was 13 when she gave birth. Malone and Ford were both 17 when twins Daryl and Cheryl Ford were born;[54] Malone was a 20-year-old college sophomore when Bell, at age 13, gave birth to Demetress Bell.[55] In the aftermath of the Globe story, Malone met the Ford twins for the first time since visiting them in the hospital after they were born.[56] Malone did not meet with Bell at that time, and his attorney insisted that Malone had settled the lawsuits before any conclusive establishment of paternity and thus still did not know whether he was truly the father of any of the children.

The Tribune confirmed that the judge in the Bell lawsuit ruled Malone to be the father, not based on presented evidence, but rather because Malone did not respond to the suit. The paper also examined court documents detailing the evidence that was to have been presented had Malone responded and a trial ensued. One item listed was a laboratory blood test that concluded with over 99% certainty that Bell's father was either Malone or a brother of Malone. The paper also reported that applying the same blood sample to the Ford twins resulted in a similarly high probability of paternity by Malone.[57][58] According to the Tribune, Malone challenged the court's ruling with regard to Bell, claiming that the judgment holding him responsible for $125 per week in child support, plus past and future medical expenses, was excessive. Before Malone's appeal was adjudicated, the lawsuit was settled on confidential terms. In the case of the Ford twins, Malone was ruled to be their father when he violated a court order by refusing to reveal his assets or submit to a DNA test. Thereafter, another out-of-court settlement was reached.[57]

By the fall of 1998, Malone accepted his paternity of the Ford twins, and Kay Malone said publicly that the twins were members of the Malone family.[59] Since that time, Karl Malone has maintained a relationship with the twins, each of whom later played college basketball at his alma mater, Louisiana Tech. Cheryl Ford went on to a professional basketball career with the Detroit Shock of the Women's National Basketball Association.

Bell has played as an offensive lineman for the Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, and Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League. In 2008, The Buffalo News reported that Bell's first and only meeting with Malone came shortly after Bell graduated from high school. According to Bell, Malone told him then that it was "too late" for them to have a father–son relationship.[60] However, in 2014, the two repaired their relationship and were in regular contact by 2018.[61]

In 2018, Malone said about his relationship with his older children, "I didn't handle it right; I was wrong ... Father Time is the biggest thief that's out there, and you can't get that back."[61]
I never knew that about him, what a piece of shit.
[Reply]
DRM08 08:21 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
It’s kind of weird. He obviously is a piece of shit and you can find plenty of articles about it, but it also seems like few people know about this stuff with him.

Practically everyone I’ve told about this didn’t know.
Being in a place like Utah is a big advantage to keep a low profile. Rest of the country doesn’t give a damn.
[Reply]
A8bil 09:57 PM 01-25-2022
I will not have respect for any player from the steroid era that doesn't come clean. Most if not all were juicing. The ones who accept accolades without admitting their complicity are cowards.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 11:47 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Well there was an anonymous report from the New York Times that Ortiz was one of 100+ guys including Sosa who failed a test. But then the commissioner came out a few years ago and said Ortiz has never failed a test, so they muddied the water for him enough to "justify" the votes.
Manfred certainly helped Ortiz's chances.

Ortiz was exonerated in 2016 by Manfred, who said: “Even if your name was on that list (of 104) it’s entirely possible that you were not a positive,” adding that he felt it would be unfair for Hall-of-Fame voters to use that positive test against Ortiz.

With help from Rob Manfred, David Ortiz gets free pass into Hall of Fame, while Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds and others are held to a higher standard

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...lum-story.html
[Reply]
Ocotillo 11:51 PM 01-25-2022
I do think Ortiz was boosted by the fact that he was good with the media, was well liked, was considered an ambassador to the sport and was considered along with Ted Williams and Yaz among the most beloved Red Sox players ever.

Heck, postseason heroics aside, his greatest moment might have been telling Fenway Park fans "this is our fucking town" after the marathon bombing.

He even had a Kareem Abdul-Jabbar like farewell tour in 2016, as every city gave him retirement presents when he played there for the last time. Bonds or Clemens never got this level of treatment.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 11:52 PM 01-25-2022
Also, Tom Verducci has always been one of the hard-line voters against Bonds, Clemens and Sosa. Verducci voted for Ortiz because Manfred exonerated him, saying the positive has been ruled not to count.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 12:01 AM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by Lprechaun:
My favorite sport is dieing and those who "run" it are to blame.
Pete Rose should be in as a player.
Bonds should be in if ANY other player in that era is in.
Did he ever fail an MLB drug test? Ever?
Not saying he didnt do them but name someone you know that didnt.... I'll wait.
The game changed, just like NFL offenses changed. Records get broken, training changes, equipment changes. Hell gloves changed and no one ever considers that when talking about the great fielders we have who are using padded gloves. C'mon, he and so many others deserve to be in. We all ate up the home run at bats those guys had, it was all over tv. Cut ins on other programs.

Bob Costas nailed it! #HOF pic.twitter.com/Qe7QtzBMWW

— IB THE GAMBLER 🔌 (@incarceratedbob) January 26, 2022

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:04 AM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
Manfred certainly helped Ortiz's chances.

Ortiz was exonerated in 2016 by Manfred, who said: “Even if your name was on that list (of 104) it’s entirely possible that you were not a positive,” adding that he felt it would be unfair for Hall-of-Fame voters to use that positive test against Ortiz.

With help from Rob Manfred, David Ortiz gets free pass into Hall of Fame, while Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds and others are held to a higher standard

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...lum-story.html
Leave it to Manfred to intervene where he’s not wanted and stir shit up.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:11 AM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
I hate Costas, but he makes a great point.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:12 AM 01-26-2022
Sammy sosa missed for the 10th and final time.

He was good to the media.
His numbers are virtually identical to Ortiz.
Unlike Ortiz he played the field
The only steroid accusation is the same damn report people are giving Ortiz a pass over. What am I missing here? Forget about Barry bonds. It is absurd that people have made a million excuses for Ortiz while sosa was blackballed. Their stories are not that dissimilar.

Ortiz benefited from Red Sox favoritism. Wouldn’t doubt ESPN played a big part in that.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 10:30 AM 01-26-2022
The whole Ortiz getting in hypocrisy changed my mind on this stuff.

Ortiz was given a free pass because he is the loveable Big Papi. It is bullshit. He failed a test. He should be out.

Double standards again.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:07 PM 01-26-2022
Little support for ARod as well. And he’s a media member

A-Rod got more than a third of the Hall of Fame vote in his first year of eligibility. pic.twitter.com/byCUsvT1Si

— Yankees Videos (@snyyankees) January 25, 2022

[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:10 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:

Fuck him too.
[Reply]
DRM08 12:26 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:

Papi was never suspended. A-Rod kept getting caught and suspended, like Manny Ramirez. You have to be pretty dumb to get caught multiple times after the league finally implemented a punishment system on this topic.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Up