ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »
Hall of Classics>Guess what? Gretz call us classless and deranged
Dartgod 09:37 AM 01-14-2004
So Jettio is Bob Gretz? :-)
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 09:41 AM 01-14-2004
I may be classless and I may be deranged but I know a DC when I see one.
[Reply]
Mr. Kotter 09:45 AM 01-14-2004
Not many of us were "reveling" or "laughing" at Greg Robinson yesterday.

Many of us were relieved and happy about his leaving. However, that is NOT the same as "celebrating" or "kicking him" when he is down. And, frankly, those who DID DO those things are classless and perhaps deranged. :-)

However, most of us were simply pleased that our Defense now has a chance to improve next year. Vermeil's loyalty to Greg almost prevented that.

The bottom-line is GR did not get the job done. As a football fan, none of us should feel sorry for him leaving because he failed.

As a person though, none of us should "celebrate" his failure. :-)
[Reply]
Spott 09:32 AM 01-14-2004
It isn't classless. The Fans pay for the tickets, parking, memorabilia, etc. The Fans have a right to complain because ultimately, we are the ones that pay the tab for everything. When we go to a restaurant, we have a right to complain to the manager if the food and the service sucks. I see no difference here. No reason the kick the guy now that he's already quit, but as Fans, we have the right to voice our displeasure for certain employees we feel that are giving us crappy "service".
[Reply]
Donger 09:33 AM 01-14-2004
I don't get it. He seems to think that Robinson should have been dimissed, yet has issue with those "classless" people who were proactive in making their opinions known? He seems to give kudos to Robinson for his emotion, yet calls those of us who emote, "deranged?"

The difference is that I don't get paid (and paid handsomely) to support this team. Robinson did. And his "contribution" did not justify his getting paid for it anymore.
[Reply]
Chiefnj 09:48 AM 01-14-2004
What a prick.

Let's get things straight. Robinson didn't come out and resign. He went to Vermeil and said "if you want I'll resign." Vermeil came back and said "yes, it is best if you do." Only then did GROB give in. I still don't understand why he did it since, allegedly, his contract was up in a few weeks. The team could have simply said we aren't renewing it. I guess that rumor about his contract being up wasn't true.

Second, the fans have a right to call out a coach who hasn't done his job. Even if it's the fault of the players, the coaches get the brunt of the criticism. It's the nature of the beast. Without the fans there is no team, there is no revenue, Gretz has no job. Was it classless to have threads about forms of torture and wishing bodily harm - no doubt. Some people were no better than the people in Philly who cheer injured players. But, there is nothing wrong with calling for a better coordinator after the present one has fielded the worst defenses in the history of the team.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:35 AM 01-14-2004
Gretz is a moron. If he believes that the success of the team is more important to the mercenaries who routinely switch loyalties based on who's signing their paycheck than it is to fans who have voluntarily agonized over the team for DECADES, then Gretz needs help. What a clueless columnist.

Maybe he should forego his paycheck for a while to rediscover his passion for the team. Or maybe he should just go get paid to write for another team.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 09:41 AM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Gretz is a moron. If he believes that the success of the team is more important to the mercenaries who routinely switch loyalties based on who's signing their paycheck than it is to fans who have voluntarily agonized over the team for DECADES, then Gretz needs help. What a clueless columnist.

Maybe he should forego his paycheck for a while to rediscover his passion for the team. Or maybe he should just go get paid to write for another team.
That's a very good point. GR's got two SB rings from the Broncos to soothe his pain from screwing our season. We ain't got shit, just more of the usual heartbreak.
[Reply]
Mark M 11:48 AM 01-14-2004
After reading Bob Gretz's recent article, I've got to wonder: How can he insult the fans of the Chiefs? Classless? For wanting the defense of the team I root for to be at least mediocre, rather than the joke of the NFL?
For 23 years I've put my heart into this team every training camp, spent thousands of dollars on tickets, concessions and Chiefs merchandise, sat in the cold and rain, and have seen exactly 3 playoff wins. Three. I have earned the RIGHT to rip Lin Elliot for missing his kicks. I’ve earned the RIGHT to rip Grbac for throwing the ball 4 yards short. I’ve earned the RIGHT to rip Marty for all of his playoff defeats. I’ve earned the RIGHT to complain about a coordinator who was in charge of the worst defense in 2002, and the 30th in 2003.
Sure, Robinson may be a great guy, but he's a terrible coordinator. Think about it--if I were the worst at my job, I would be, and should be, fired immediately. But football is different--you can suck and still be employed, or be good and still lose your job. At least yesterday the person who deserved a majority (although not all) of the blame took the fall. Fans may not put their “blood and sweat” into the team, but they sure as hell have put in their tears … not to mention millions of dollars that support all aspects of the organization.
old_geezer 12:02 PM 01-14-2004
My .02.......

So Gretz thinks those who participated in the Firegregrobinson.com web site were classless ? I guess I'd rather be classless than clueless, which is what GRob was as a DC and Gretz appears to be as a sportswriter.

If by my participation in the signing of the signature list I am considered to have had a small part in the dismissal of GRob from his position, then you can call me anything you want; but you'd better thank me also.
[Reply]
CosmicPal 02:24 PM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by Mark M:
After reading Bob Gretz's recent article, I've got to wonder: How can he insult the fans of the Chiefs? Classless? For wanting the defense of the team I root for to be at least mediocre, rather than the joke of the NFL?
For 23 years I've put my heart into this team every training camp, spent thousands of dollars on tickets, concessions and Chiefs merchandise, sat in the cold and rain, and have seen exactly 3 playoff wins. Three. I have earned the RIGHT to rip Lin Elliot for missing his kicks. I’ve earned the RIGHT to rip Grbac for throwing the ball 4 yards short. I’ve earned the RIGHT to rip Marty for all of his playoff defeats. I’ve earned the RIGHT to complain about a coordinator who was in charge of the worst defense in 2002, and the 30th in 2003.
Sure, Robinson may be a great guy, but he's a terrible coordinator. Think about it--if I were the worst at my job, I would be, and should be, fired immediately. But football is different--you can suck and still be employed, or be good and still lose your job. At least yesterday the person who deserved a majority (although not all) of the blame took the fall. Fans may not put their “blood and sweat” into the team, but they sure as hell have put in their tears … not to mention millions of dollars that support all aspects of the organization.
My sentiments are the same...nice read, and this is exactly how I feel as well. :-)
[Reply]
whoman69 08:38 PM 01-14-2004
Vermeil said that the NFL is even more cutthroat than the real world. Shows how out of touch with reality that he is. At my job, I hear of someone getting fired almost weekly. You don't perform, you get canned.

Gretz needs to wake up and look at the bigger picture. The fans of KC deserve to expect a SB. We have waited over 30 years to get back to what looked like in the days of the AFL, a regular Chiefs occurence. Vermeil had been making statements such as, the unnamed one will be here as long as Vermeil is the coach, the coaching staff will return next year. It was our responsibility to remind vermeil of his responsibility to his fans. He would have zero problem with cutting a player that was not performing. How many were cut last March? Did he give them a eulogy like he did for the unnamed one.

Yes, I visited the firetheunnamedone.com and put in my two cents. I cheered when I heard the news. I thought it was classy that the unnamed one offered to pack his bags. I think had he not done so, then we would be once again talking next November about how the unnamed one's defense is stopping our persuit of the big prize. I regret nothing. I revel in the fact that it may have made a difference. The announcement that Vermeil was coming back was not quite as thrilling to me as the announcement that the unnamed one would not.
[Reply]
m0j0rYzN 10:04 PM 01-14-2004
What? ......How the heck does Gretz know me?
[Reply]
jAZ 10:31 AM 01-14-2004

Well put Kevin.

Can someone put Gretz's quote followed by Kevin's and BDD's comments up on the FireGRob website?
[Reply]
Calcountry 11:24 AM 01-14-2004

I wish we could trade our defense plus our entire draft next year for the Baltimore Ravens Defense. Think they would take it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »