ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 26
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>If the Chiefs took WR Christian Watson at 30…
htismaqe 10:15 AM 03-31-2022
I get not liking Watson's tape but how many guys that have come out in the last few years have had one of the highest RAS scores in 2 decades?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:23 AM 03-31-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I get not liking Watson's tape but how many guys that have come out in the last few years have had one of the highest RAS scores in 2 decades?
How's he compare to someone like, I dunno, Stephen Hill. Robert Davis. Javon Walker?

If we want to start talking about ceilings, lets at least be reasonable and talk about a dude like Walker. But Walker at least produced out of FSU with very similar measurables to Watson.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:35 AM 03-31-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
How's he compare to someone like, I dunno, Stephen Hill. Robert Davis. Javon Walker?

If we want to start talking about ceilings, lets at least be reasonable and talk about a dude like Walker. But Walker at least produced out of FSU with very similar measurables to Watson.
What do you mean by "Produced?"

Walker had 932 yards and 7 TDs his last year at Florida State, accounting for 32 percent of their passing yards.

Watson had 900 yards and 7 TDs this year, accounting for 35 percent of passing yards.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:38 AM 03-31-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
What do you mean by "Produced?"

Walker had 932 yards and 7 TDs his last year at Florida State, accounting for 32 percent of their passing yards.

Watson had 900 yards and 7 TDs this year, accounting for 35 percent of passing yards.
I meant produced similarly. Again emphasizing the disparity in the quality of competition.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:38 AM 03-31-2022
What am I missing? Javon Walker was a pretty decent NFL WR until he got hurt. Even after his injury, he had a decent season in Denver before injuries finally got the best of him.

I guess I'm not seeing why the Walker comparison is so damning to Watson.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:41 AM 03-31-2022
I mean, DJ is adamant that Watson is a 6'4" pile of dogshit, but he'd take him at 62. I think he's a possible great player that I'd take a swing on at 50.

We're 12 spots apart on this huge piece of shit that's comparable to McCluster in DJ's eyes, but that he'd still draft at 62.

this is ridiculous.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:42 AM 03-31-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I mean, DJ is adamant that Watson is a 6'4" pile of dogshit, but he'd take him at 62. I think he's a possible great player that I'd take a swing on at 50.

We're 12 spots apart on this huge piece of shit that's comparable to McCluster in DJ's eyes, but that he'd still draft at 62.

this is ridiculous.
I know DJ is arguing against taking him at 50 but I think the anger comes from people wanting him at 29.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:43 AM 03-31-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I know DJ is arguing against taking him at 50 but I think the anger comes from people wanting him at 29.
Well I think people need to be prepared for it. The guy is a workout warrior and Veach loves him some measurables.

We're not going to get everything we want. That never happens.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:44 AM 03-31-2022
Well I think people need to be prepared for it. The guy is a workout warrior and Veach loves him some measurables.

Have you met DJ? :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:37 PM 03-31-2022
Have you met DJ? :-)
Yeah, I'm not one to hold my fire.

But I'm also not one to hit and run.

If I don't like a guy, I'll tell you why. And hell, if I come around on a guy as the process goes along, I'll gladly admit to that as well. I've come around on the DTs at the back of the first in a big way throughout this process. I've stated as such (and why) several times.

But this idea that I have some irrational hatred of Watson because of 'reasons' is silly. I've gone pretty far down the rabbit hole there.

Small school guys with elite measurables who are actual dominant football players WILL dominate at that level because their coaches feed them the football. This guys coaches did not do that. There's a reason for that and as has already been conceded - no, we don't know more than the Chiefs do about these guys. But we also don't know more about them than their college coaches. And frankly, the CHIEFS don't know more about them than their college coaches.

And that cuts both ways. Despite knowing more about this stuff than we do, the Chiefs occasionally just get it flat-ass wrong. And perhaps Watson's coaching staff got it wrong with him as well.

Do I want to use a top 50 pick on that gamble? Nope. Do not.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:52 AM 03-31-2022

Exactly.

When people like Daniel Jeremiah and Matt Miller are mocking him to the Chiefs in the 1st, it’s a legitimate possibility.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:52 AM 03-31-2022
I think any anger about any of it is irrational.

It's all speculation, and none of us are qualified NFL scouts, or GM's, we're all just armchair warriors (maybe sitting in our underwear to stick with DJ's mantra) that are more than casual fans, but definitely not qualified to pick NFL players in the draft.

I don't think I'd take Watson in the first, because I think I could get Pierce in the second for sure, and I think he's a higher floor kid although perhaps not as potentially high a ceiling. But he's close, and he's the same skillset more or less.

but if Veach does, I won't complain until I see the product on the field. But I think DJ might blow a gasket and kill a puppy or something.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:31 PM 03-31-2022
If the guy's a piece of shit underwear warrior and a huge mistake at 30, and a laughable reach at 50, but you might take him at 60? And you'd take a space eating DT at 30 instead?

I mean, come on man.
Ah - so you mean YOUR hyperbole.

What am I missing? Javon Walker was a pretty decent NFL WR until he got hurt. Even after his injury, he had a decent season in Denver before injuries finally got the best of him.

I guess I'm not seeing why the Walker comparison is so damning to Watson.
It isn't. I'm saying Walker is a more fair comp for his upside than someone like Randy freakin' Moss where we have guys saying he has 'generational talent' upside.

this is ridiculous.
Show your work, sport.

And again - the hyperbole here is just ALL you. I didn't compare him to McCluster the player. At all. I compared 'well since we have 2 picks in the first I'd take him' as a process to 'well this is the 'found' second we got for Tony G so we can gamble' as a similar thought process that yields bad outcomes.

Moreover, I didn't say I'd draft him at 62, only that I'd consider him. Meanwhile you'd consider him at 30. That's a full round's difference and yes, that's absolutely significant.

Again - one of us is very much guilty of overplaying his hand - sure.

It just isn't me.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:39 PM 03-31-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It isn't. I'm saying Walker is a more fair comp for his upside than someone like Randy freakin' Moss where we have guys saying he has 'generational talent' upside.
That makes sense.

I'm just saying, Walker had 3500 yards and 30 TD's in his first 4 full years in the league, including a rookie season where he only had 1 TD and started only 2 games.

Years 2-5, he missed basically one entire season to injury but otherwise compiled 3000 yards and 29 TD's in 3 seasons.

If ANYBODY in the draft can give us that, I'm taking them.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:46 PM 03-31-2022
That makes sense.

I'm just saying, Walker had 3500 yards and FORTY TD's in his first 4 full years in the league, including a rookie season where he only had 1 TD and started only 2 games.

Years 2-5, he missed basically one entire season to injury but otherwise compiled 3000 yards and 39 TD's in 3 seasons.
Yeah - he was a great player. With similar measurables to Watson who produced at a similar clip with a much higher level of competition.

But he's on the skinny end of Watson's bell curve of potential outcomes, IMO. That's not the middle 50% for him at all. I would put it maybe at the top 15% of possible outcomes. I wouldn't even put this 'generational talent' stuff as 1% likely.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 26
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up