ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
The Meltdown Lounge>Alex Okafor re-signs
Tribal Warfare 11:30 AM 07-20-2021

Free agent pass-rusher Alex Okafor is signing back with the #Chiefs, source said. He gets a 1-year deal and will return to KC, his home for the last two seasons.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 20, 2021

[Reply]
Bowser 10:03 AM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
You've gotta have Lb's that can play both run and pass otherwise you just get gashed one way or another.
Very excited to see what Bolton might be capable of when he has superior talent around him and doesn't have to be the guy opposing offenses are focusing on nullifying.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:03 AM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I wouldn’t consider him a huge upgrade in run defense bc Nnadi is very good there. I think he’s one of the most underrated players in the league, especially as a run defender. We’ve definitely come a long way since Xavier Willims though.

Our biggest run problems came from putting Neimann and Sorenson at LB. we just cannot do that.

Which is probably what they saw given our pick of Nick Bolton
Ummm Reed and Nnadi are going to be inside on early/run downs…
[Reply]
-King- 12:07 PM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Come on, we aren't nearly the same. We were 31st in Run Defense in 2018 with no runs longer than 30 yards. We were 19th last year, with 3 runs over 40 yards... there is a drastic difference when you couple Spags philosophy to keep mobile QB's in the pocket. The edge was a joke with Dee Ford, it was more of a turnstile.
The numbers don't lie though. Basically the same ypc and yards per game over the past few years even before Spags.

The biggest difference from 2018 isn't the DLine or even Spags IMO. It's having competent DBs and more importantly, having a healthy Mathieu instead of a hurt/out Berry. Our passing defense is the biggest change from 2018, not run defense. Our secondary was burnt toast if Ford, Houston, and Jones didn't get to the QB.
[Reply]
-King- 12:10 PM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Except it's not. Actually watch the games against the Bills and Ravens the last 2 years and you'll see it, especially from Okafor.

No, they're not good defending up the middle against running backs but they've done a pretty damn good job containing mobile QB's since Spags got here.
I mean even in 2018 they held Lamar Jackson to 67 yards rushing...
[Reply]
RunKC 12:52 PM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Ummm Reed and Nnadi are going to be inside on early/run downs…
Yes but 2nd level was our biggest problem. There were times with Neimann AND Dirty Dan at LB.

That’s a disaster waiting to happen
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 01:57 PM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
The numbers don't lie though. Basically the same ypc and yards per game over the past few years even before Spags.

The biggest difference from 2018 isn't the DLine or even Spags IMO. It's having competent DBs and more importantly, having a healthy Mathieu instead of a hurt/out Berry. Our passing defense is the biggest change from 2018, not run defense. Our secondary was burnt toast if Ford, Houston, and Jones didn't get to the QB.
Correct, numbers don't lie. 4.5 per carry lands you at 16. 3.8 and you are number 1, 5.2 you are last. If you don't see a difference in setting the edge and containing opposing QB's the last 3 years, you must not understand football.
[Reply]
BossChief 03:38 PM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Is he that good against the run though? I always thought he was more pass rusher.
Veach said Reed was their highest rated run defender in that draft class.
[Reply]
R Clark 03:47 PM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Correct, numbers don't lie. 4.5 per carry lands you at 16. 3.8 and you are number 1, 5.2 you are last. If you don't see a difference in setting the edge and containing opposing QB's the last 3 years, you must not understand football.
That would be my guess
[Reply]
Red Beans 04:08 PM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
And no we’re don’t know if Frank Clark will be here this year
English motherfucker, do you speak it?
[Reply]
-King- 06:46 PM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Correct, numbers don't lie. 4.5 per carry lands you at 16. 3.8 and you are number 1, 5.2 you are last. If you don't see a difference in setting the edge and containing opposing QB's the last 3 years, you must not understand football.
So we're setting the edge better but allowing the same number of yards per carry and yards per game?

How does that work?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:47 PM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
So we're setting the edge better but allowing the same number of yards per carry and yards per game?

How does that work?
Did you read my post? 2/3 of a yard is the difference between the middle of the pack and first and last. Then if you factor in when those yards come it is different. Before 2019, we would be in a run defense and they would get yards, specifically to the outside whenever they wanted. Our run defense is far from great, middle of the pack, but it is so much better, along with QB containment, than before.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:17 AM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
So we're setting the edge better but allowing the same number of yards per carry and yards per game?

How does that work?
We tend to give up most of our yards right up the gut.

It's pretty easy to understand and easy to see when you watch the games.
[Reply]
-King- 10:58 AM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
We tend to give up most of our yards right up the gut.

It's pretty easy to understand and easy to see when you watch the games.
So we didn't improve the run defense then? Why are you guys acting like giving up runs down the middle is an improvement over giving them up to the outside?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:08 AM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
So we didn't improve the run defense then? Why are you guys acting like giving up runs down the middle is an improvement over giving them up to the outside?
For my own part, I never said anything about improvement.

I was refuting your specific statement about the DE's not setting the edge.

It's simply not true. The DE's we have now actually set the edge fairly well. Frank Clark is actually the worst at it IMO.
[Reply]
-King- 12:04 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
For my own part, I never said anything about improvement.

I was refuting your specific statement about the DE's not setting the edge.

It's simply not true. The DE's we have now actually set the edge fairly well. Frank Clark is actually the worst at it IMO.
That's because the whole set the edge thing is something iowahawkeyechief says as if it really improved the run defense or that it's somehow a tradeoff from having a strong pass rush. When really the truth is that the run defense is largely the same, pass rush is worse, but secondary play is A LOT better. IMO that's the biggest difference from 2018 to now.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Up