5 Erick Pena, OF
6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
tk13 04:01 PM 08-26-2021
Welp. Down goes Staumont. Finally got our starting pitching turned around a little and now the bullpen is falling apart.

The #Royals have recalled RHP Scott Blewett and placed Josh Staumont on the injured list. No injury was specified for Staumont.

— Lynn Worthy (@LWorthySports) August 26, 2021

[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 04:02 PM 08-26-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
Welp. Down goes Staumont.

Where's that dumb shit cosmo?
[Reply]
siberian khatru 04:07 PM 08-26-2021
I wonder if these guys are truly hurt or they’re just parking them on the IL to give them rest so they can’t be used and don’t burn out.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 04:09 PM 08-26-2021
Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
Where's that dumb shit cosmo?
He was here posting emojis a couple days ago after I stated Matheny was burning up all of our bullpen arms like so many predicted, and that we would need the extra roster spots in September for bullpen arms to make it through the end of the season.

That’s now 4 bullpens guys to the IL in less than 4 weeks. Hmmm, wonder if that’s just a coincidence?

Can’t wait to see what meaningful emoji he will come and post now . . . . . .
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 04:10 PM 08-26-2021
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
I wonder if these guys are truly hurt or they’re just parking them on the IL to give them rest so they can’t be used and don’t burn out.
Yeah, there’s no way that is what they are doing, but IF it was and the Royals FO was doing that to save them from burnout by Matheny, then he (Matheny) should be fired on the spot.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:45 PM 08-26-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Yeah, there’s no way that is what they are doing, but IF it was and the Royals FO was doing that to save them from burnout by Matheny, then he (Matheny) should be fired on the spot.
Completely agree

And if this scenario was true and it didn't get Matheny immediately fired, then Sherman needs to clean house.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:44 PM 08-26-2021
The Royals best 2022 team has a healthy Mondesi playing every day and playing a high value defensive position.

If he/the team can find a way to achieve that, it’s a major win.

An infield of Mondesi, Witt, Lopez, and Pratto would be elite-elite in the field, but I don’t think we see Pratto until June at the earliest.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:32 PM 08-26-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
Welp. Down goes Staumont. Finally got our starting pitching turned around a little and now the bullpen is falling apart.

Since Flanny's July 5th tweet saying to watch the DL for bullpen arms in the second half of the season, this is the fourth pitcher from the Royals bullpen to reach the DL (Zimmer, Holland, and Brentz coming before Staumont).
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:45 PM 08-26-2021
Staumont's workload has been killer lately...

Aug 19 - 3 pitches
Aug 21 - 11 pitches
Aug 25 - 17 pitches

I know some claim that our relievers are being worked to death between starts, including by constantly warming up to enter the games that they don't appear in. Since there's no actual data on this or evidence other than "it seems like...", it's pretty easy to dismiss.
It's also claimed that Matheny and the coaches are constantly warming guys up and not tracking it, so they have no idea how much they are throwing. Again, very unlikely they don't know exactly how much each has thrown.

I don't know why so many have been on IL...more likely the team is being extra cautious at the first sign of soreness. Wade Davis also did an IL stint. Was he being overworked?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:49 PM 08-26-2021
The subtext is that these pitchers were all likely fighting fatigue and dead arms on July 5th. Otherwise a beat writer who has always been cordial with the team wouldn’t have directly said that Matheny was overworking the bullpen AND made a prediction that has turned out to be 100% accurate.

But keep ignoring Occam’s razor if it suits you, my man. You seem to be in too deep on this one to say “you know I may have been off on this.”
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:59 PM 08-26-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Since Flanny's July 5th tweet saying to watch the DL for bullpen arms in the second half of the season, this is the fourth pitcher from the Royals bullpen to reach the DL (Zimmer, Holland, and Brentz coming before Staumont).
I couldn't find Flanny's July 5 tweet, but on August 5, he praised Matheny's bullpen management as "superb."

Joel/Monty were just talking about this, but despite the overall record, Mike Matheny’s management of the bullpen has been superb in his time here. And yes, players have to perform, that is ultimate, but Matheny has put them into position to succeed. Ok, commence the complaining.

— Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) August 6, 2021

[Reply]
Prison Bitch 07:01 PM 08-26-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
I couldn't find Flanny's July 5 tweet, but on August 5, he praised Matheny's bullpen management as "superb."

Hmmmm......
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08-26-2021, 07:08 PM
This message has been deleted by Chiefspants.
cosmo20002 07:08 PM 08-26-2021
The subtext is that these pitchers were all likely fighting fatigue and dead arms on July 5th. Otherwise a beat writer who has always been cordial with the team wouldn’t have directly said that Matheny was overworking the bullpen AND made a prediction that has turned out to be 100% accurate.

But keep ignoring Occam’s razor if it suits you, my man. You seem to be in too deep on this one to say “you know I may have been off on this.”
Well, I don't know exactly what he said, but I just posted what he said August 5.
Anyway, I don't know what to tell ya...but if guys are fatigued with dead arms from pitching 2 or 3 innings a week...then maybe they aren't cut out for this job. I don't know how you can get around that..you can't have a bullpen full of guys who are maxed out after an inning a week.

This stuff about being overworked between starts and warming up seems like a lot a "seems like" nonsense. I don't have any particular like for Matheny or his staff, but the notion that they are just killing these guys in ways that aren't normal for relief pitcher routines seems kind of ridiculous.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 07:13 PM 08-26-2021
Well, I don't know exactly what he said, but I just posted what he said August 5.
Anyway, I don't know what to tell ya...but if guys are fatigued with dead arms from pitching 2 or 3 innings a week...then maybe they aren't cut out for this job. I don't know how you can get around that..you can't have a bullpen full of guys who are maxed out after an inning a week.

This stuff about being overworked between starts and warming up seems like a lot a "seems like" nonsense. I don't have any particular like for Matheny or his staff, but the notion that they are just killing these guys in ways that aren't normal for relief pitcher routines seems kind of ridiculous.
Dude, you gave up way too quickly. Hopefully you're not this lazy in political threads, too. I know you're only going to look for confirmation biases and will not change your opinion no matter what, but check this out.

Flanny first talked about this July 5th and then kept the conversation going when asked about it later.

I was fascinated by Matheny’s “chase every win” approach, which wasn’t harmful in last year’s 60-game sprint. But over 162, it is not practical. Keep an eye on bullpen injuries over these last three months. And there is a mental toll on all players with this approach, too. (4)

— Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) July 8, 2021

You've continued to post incorrect stats (Herrera had the 6th most relief appearances in the league in 2015! :-)), half-baked contrarian speculation (saying a lot of "this seems like"), and disappeared from threads when folks brought up that this was a problem since his Cards days and posted stats to back it up. Probably time to tap out and do one of your patented disappearing acts. But hey, you do you.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 07:18 PM 08-26-2021
Hey, dude! Happy to help. He first tweeted about this July 5th and then elaborated after all fans demanded to know more. Happy to provide more, but it's not gonna make a lick of difference since this is who you are.

I wasn't calling you a liar...I just said I couldn't find it. And if you insist on Flanny being that last word on this, you can't ignore the tweet I posted from him a month later.
Anyway, the workloads aren't outrageous.
[Reply]
Page 348 of 440
« First < 248298338344345346347348 349350351352358398 > Last »
Up