ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>Christopher Nolan's next film
sully1983 04:00 PM 09-10-2021
Christopher Nolan is readying his next film, and Deadline hears that like Dunkirk it will focus on a seminal moment in World War II. This one is J. Robert Oppenheimer’s role in the development of the atom bomb during WWII. Here is a bombshell development: While none of Nolan’s recent movies had gone outside Warner Bros, I’m hearing that several of the major studios across town are reading the screenplay and speaking with Nolan and his reps.

This might be residue from the umbrage Nolan took when WarnerMedia declared its intention to go day-and-date with its entire 2021 movie slate, without forewarning talent, their reps or even the studio’s financing partners in the films. Nolan, among the superstar directors who are the most vociferous supporters of a good old fashioned theatrical release, was outspoken in his ire on WarnerMedia’s move. It wasn’t immediately clear whether Warner Bros is among the studios in the mix on this, but clearly it has lost pole position.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/christo...ii-1234829960/

I honestly wanted Nolan to go back to making smaller more intimate films (like Memento or the very underrated Insomnia for example) but holy crap this sounds fucking incredible! :-)
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:49 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
Wow. Maybe I was in a good mood that day. I agree with you about memento. Maybe I should watch Tenet again and try
to find flaws with it. I didn't watch it on the big screen, admittedly. I watched it at home so maybe I was more lenient on it.
I dunno. Its funny how that works. I keep a list of my ratings on IMDB and once in a while I re-watch a movie and have a

completely different take on it than the 1st time.

My flaw with movie critique is that I really like the ideas behind movies , even if they aren't pulled off that well.

Maybe I just liked the idea behind Tenent and I gave it a pass.

A good example of this is Interstellar. I'd give that movie like an 8 because I really like the message and the idea...but there
are parts of the movie that might be flawed enough to only give a 7 but the message and idea bumps it up a notch for me.

Like Equilibrium. I love that movie because of the ideas even though its basically a lowish budget B movie.
In fairness I should probably watch Tenet again at home with subtitles. I love Interstellar quite a bit. It's probably my favorite movie with the most flaws. Watched it recently and it's still great, but there is some poor bits of acting/dialogue that's partly on the actors, but a lot on the direction (Hathaway was not great...I about couldn't make it through her "love" dialogue when called out for her choice of planet), and Matthew McConaughey was just a bit too extra with himself. But damn the concept, the music, how incredible the space scenes look on my OLED. I really love that movie.

After Memento, The Dark Knight, and Interstellar, I've given the man a ton of leeway. Never missing a movie in theaters. But he's falling behind the likes of other visionaries like Denis Villeneuve, whose movies are criminally underappreciated by audiences. I'll give Nolan one more shot to be on my must-watch list.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 11:23 AM 09-20-2021
Ill have to watch Enemy & Sicario. I was underwhelmed by Incendies with all the hype surrounding it. I Thought it was pretty
decent but not anywhere near the top 3-4 movies from Nolan. Arrival was also decent...but not a 9 or 10 for me. More like a 7-8.

Sicario is on my list , I'll probably watch it tonight.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:12 PM 09-20-2021
Ill have to watch Enemy & Sicario. I was underwhelmed by Incendies with all the hype surrounding it. I Thought it was pretty
decent but not anywhere near the top 3-4 movies from Nolan. Arrival was also decent...but not a 9 or 10 for me. More like a 7-8.

Sicario is mind-blowingly good. Such a tense movie. I also assume you've seen Blade Runner 2049 and forgot to mention it. If not, that's also a must-see.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 12:37 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I also assume you've seen Blade Runner 2049 and forgot to mention it. If not, that's also a must-see.

Youre right. I really enjoyed it. The thing is (and I know this is subjective). I have to give more credit to an original work
rather than a derivative work. SO you wont see me mentioning batman or 2049 as much as Nolan's (or anyone else's) original things (or even things based on way lesser known cannon, like the prestiege). I mean,
yes, writing a good screenplay is not easy, nor is directing.... but its easier when you have a rich back story such as batman or blade runner. So
while I enjoyed blade runner 2049 I wouldnt ever put that on par with any of the original stuff Nolan has done.
Im watching Sicario tonight though for sure. Same reason I dont give crazy high ratings to Insomnia, even though I did like Nolan's version.

Has Denis Villeneuve written any of his movies originally? Or has he just adapted books and plays of others into movies? To
me , those things are light years apart and not really comparable.
[Reply]
sully1983 03:03 PM 09-20-2021

Oh man you are in for a treat with Sicario. Its so well directed and the sense of dread atmosphere is done so well too. Very dark & gritty film that pulls no punches. Taylor Sheridan is the one who wrote the screenplay (he also wrote Hell or High Water and Wind River)
Sicario is just so damn good. There is a sequence that involves night vision and it was brilliantly done. So damn intense! I don't want to spoil anything for ya.

If you end up enjoying Sicario, definitely give its sequel a shot too (Sicario: Day of the Soldado) Villenueve didn't direct it but Sheridan wrote the sequel's script. I thought it was an awesome follow up to the 1st one. and it
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 03:51 PM 09-20-2021
awesome. im definitely watchign Sicario tonight so i will let you guys know what I think.

TY for the tips. always looking for new stuff (new to me anyway)
[Reply]
BWillie 09:08 PM 09-20-2021
awesome. im definitely watchign Sicario tonight so i will let you guys know what I think.

Sicario is definitely a great movie. What does it have to do with Christopher Nolan though, did he have any part of it or something?
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:22 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Sicario is definitely a great movie. What does it have to do with Christopher Nolan though, did he have any part of it or something?
Nah, just feel like with Denis Vileneuva's body of work, he should be getting as much if not more hype than Nolan (and he probably will after Dune) considering (in my opinion) Nolan's latest outputs have not livefup to his normal level of excellence.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 09:46 PM 09-20-2021
apples to oranges since Nolan writes original pieces, writes screenplays & directs. He will never and should never get the kind of credit Nolan gets...IMO
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:34 AM 09-23-2021

[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 08:48 AM 09-23-2021
Ha. Ok so. This should be its own thread for sure.

First off, I liked the movie a lot. I enjoyed it very much.

However , I will say that it has several massive flaws that may not necessarily be due to direction but nonetheless are there. I have not read the source material but I would probably give this a 7.5 , and without the flaws maybe an 8 or 8.5 (9 ?).

We can discuss in more detail later if you want I'd be interested in your takes on the flaws that bug me.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:13 AM 09-23-2021
I love Dunkirk.

I didn't like Tenent (the 70% of it or so I made it through) at all.

This looks good. I'd recommend reading "The Age of Radiance" by Craig Nelson. It's a book about the history of nuclear discovery and energy and it really is fantastic. There's a couple chapters in there dedicated to Oppenheimer and his team. Holy crap was Enrico Fermi brilliant.

All those guys were so smart and so bold.

I watch everything Nolan does because all of it, good or bad, is at least thoughtfully done. He doesn't mail-in anything and it shows. I'm excited for this one.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up