ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Some Things About Today's Game Week 3: KC 24 Blue Herberts 30
gblowfish 04:32 PM 09-26-2021
Some Things About Today’s Game Week 3: KC 24, Blue Herberts 30

Nowhere to go but up from here. Up, because we’ve gone from AFC Champs to cellar dwellers in just three short weeks. It’s rare for the Chiefs under Mahomes to lose two straight games. But when you play the way we did today, they’re lucky the game was as close as it was.

Herbert outplayed Mahomes. He thew for 281 yards, rushed for 16 and threw four TD passes. And no picks. Mahomes had three TD passes and two picks. At one point in the first half, if you count the last three drives of the Ravens game, KC had five turnovers in their previous six drives. The first pick to Marcus Kemp should have been caught. The ball was behind him just a bit. I think the wind may have made the ball sail a little. But it should’ve been caught. Mahomes second pick was another 3rd and long desperation heave that was essentially the same as a punt. The two fumbles hurt. Hill’s was questionable as to whether he had possession long enough, and CEH was just another flat out fumble.

CEH rushed for 100 yards on 17 carries. So he gets a cookie. But No rushing TDs and one costly fumble (he did get a TD on a screen pass). Niang struggled (“struggled” in NFL speak means “sucked” in standard English) - he struggled against Joey Bosa. Mahomes was hurried and hit a lot. The line still isn’t getting the job done.

When you give up 30 points at home you don’t deserve to win. Chiefs were down Ward and Fenton and it came back to bite them. Seems like even back to Grandpa Bob Sutton days, this defense acts like it’s never seen a slant before. I’d be willing to bet at least half of Herbert’s passing yards today were YAC. Sorensen made one decent pass defense but was ass most the rest of the day. When three of your secondary guys are your three leading tacklers -Sorensen, Sneed and Honey Badger- your D Line and Linebackers are not getting the job done.

Chris Jones basically invisible again today. One tackle, no sacks. Only sack was by Mike Danna. Frank Clark has gone full Eric Berry on us. He’s probably sitting at home on his bed rolling around in the cash from this week’s game check. If you go back and watch the third quarter, Jones and Reed are completely off the field for big chunks of time. Those guys are big dollar guys. If they’re so gassed that Wharton and Saunders have to spell them for entire series, then I’d say lay off those Big Macs and get your fat asses in game shape.

After the third turnover, Mahomes went to the offense and tried to get their heads out of their asses. They did manage to get a field goal before the half right after that. Honey Badger was pissed off in the fourth quarter when the defense couldn’t stop Herbert. Both of these guys definitely care and are trying their best, but they’re not getting a lot of help. I also think the league is starting to catch up to Mahomes. They've had three years to build a book on him, and he's going to need to realize these defensive coordinators are going to play him every week like Tampa Bay did in last years Super Bowl. He's a smart kid and will figure it out. No shame in either of the losses we've had. Could have easily won both games but turnovers spoiled both efforts.

I’m thinking we need to make that trade with Detroit for Collins. We still can’t stop the run or a basic slant pass. Spags D has looked every bit as bad -maybe worse- than Sutton’s D from three years ago. It was admirable that Mahomes got the team back in the lead in the 3rd quarter after a horrendous first half, but I just had a feeling that our D was not going to stop Herbert. And ultimately when they had to, they didn’t. Herbert also got the advantage of several short fields from our miscues. All of our drives were long drives.

So at the time of this writing, we still have no definite info on Andy Reid’s health. Hopefully it is nothing serious. If we could have won today, it would have been his 100th win as Chiefs Coach. If he’s back in the office and back in charge this week, maybe they’ll win #100 for him in Philly in front of the Eagles fans. That would be pretty cool. Kelce had another 100 yard receiving day to move him ahead of Gronk -at least for the time being- for most 100 yard games by a TE in NFL history. Also congrats to Fortson for his first TD as a Chief. Looked like Tony G with that big #88 climbing the ladder to pull down a TD. Wish he would have dunked it, who cares about the penalty.

So, here we are. In the AFC West Cellar. It can be a quick elevator ride from Penthouse to Outhouse. But it’s only three games. Plenty of time to turn things around. So I’m not going to freak out just yet. Here’s hoping Andy is going to be OK, and we’ll need to get ready for that trip to Philly next week. Everybody hang in there. Lots more football left to be played.
[Reply]
Flying High D 06:20 AM 09-27-2021
GB, “ Frank Clark has gone full Eric Berry on us.”

He’s been honing the Hobo look for awhile and the Spirit is coming on strong. HoboSpirit II, just when you thought it was safe to think you had a D that gave a shit.
[Reply]
JPH83 06:31 AM 09-27-2021
Originally Posted by ILChief:
Offense needs to just stop being careless. This is mainly Mahomes and Clyde. They stop with dumb turnovers and we will score 30 plus 95% is the time.

Defense is a disaster. We have to put Thornhill in place of Sorensen. That won’t fix everything but teams are going after him. I haven’t seen anyone say this but Sneed has fallen off after his great rookie year. Hopefully it’s just a sophomore slump and he rebounds. I liked what i saw from Baker. He seemed to be on his man in good coverage. That PI was BS. Hopefully Gay returning helps. Have to get some pass rush. Jones need to move back inside and Clark needs to give us something
I said it...but now I sound like a p**ck. I think he's being asked to do more - a lot more snaps and againt better receivers. The All-Pro talk was ridiculous. Still think he'll be good for us and well worth the pick, but we've got a lot of CBs who look good against 2nd and 3rd receivers and not anyone you feel comfortable running with a Keenan Allen.

Was trying to think which groups I feel comfortable have improved since last year. I'd say IOL and maybe TE. Everywhere else feels like stasis or regression. I'm sure it'll improve.
[Reply]
Meatloaf 06:47 AM 09-27-2021
Thanks for the write-up, George. You really do seem to be able to summarize the essence of the game in ten…..(ahem)…..several paragraphs. Spot on as usual.
[Reply]
Meatloaf 06:47 AM 09-27-2021
Thanks for the write-up, George. You really do seem to be able to summarize the essence of the game in ten…..(ahem)…..several paragraphs. Spot on as usual.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:44 AM 09-27-2021
trying to win the superbowl in the regular season

Just win that game. Focus on that game.
[Reply]
Molitoth 07:50 AM 09-27-2021
On what would have been one of the best plays of Mahomes career with that sick scramble/no-look pass to a crossing Kemp (for prob a TD)... the fucker doinks it off his shoulderpad into an INT.

This play caused the avalanche of bad ju-ju the rest of the game.

I HATE WR's who can't catch a fucking ball. If I was the WR coach, the entire crew would be on the juggs for 10 hours today in the heat.
[Reply]
scho63 07:56 AM 09-27-2021
I'm starting to have nightmares of the years we had ALL offense with ZERO defense and it's making me ill.

God I don't want to go back there again.

Mahomes and the team look like they lost all their spunk. That was the most uninspired Chiefs game I've seen in a while. It's almost like everyone thought we were gonna lose. I didn't get mad once and I stayed home and streamed online because I had doubts.

They don't fix this mess soon, it's gonna be a wasted season.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 08:16 AM 09-27-2021
Maybe this is the next step in Pats evolution. He’s had a winning record ever since he came into the league. Can he learn to make plays when his best receivers are covered? Does he have the mettle to elevate his game now that opposing defenses have adjusted?
[Reply]
Molitoth 08:47 AM 09-27-2021
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
Maybe this is the next step in Pats evolution. He’s had a winning record ever since he came into the league. Can he learn to make plays when his best receivers are covered? Does he have the mettle to elevate his game now that opposing defenses have adjusted?
Did you see the no look to Kemp?

Mahomes can't catch the ball too. Pringle had drops.

These WR's have to catch the ball.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:48 AM 09-27-2021
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
They had 450 yards and 24 points you dumbass, and would have had 30+ if his teammates didn't fumble 3x.

"can he learn to make plays"

hurr hurr
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:38 AM 09-27-2021
I would like to see the team get some larger bodies for wide receivers; the small, fast guys are good however being able to go up and get the ball in traffic (other than Kelce) is really lacking. Watkins was a bigger body and had sure hands. Really hope they can get another good to great receiver to take the pressure off.

Cover 2 vs the Chiefs is here to stay. Take away the monster play and make the Chiefs offense work down the field. Our defense has been missing assignments and giving up big plays. Someone needs to step up and make plays.
[Reply]
gblowfish 09:44 AM 09-27-2021
If we could have forced just one turnover we probably would have won this game. But Chargers didn't make any unforced errors, save for a few penalties. I'd say this though, their kicker may cost them dearly in a must win game down the road. We know how a head case kicker can ruin your entire year, right "Kicker Who Shall Remain Nameless?"
[Reply]
notorious 09:46 AM 09-27-2021
This team really misses Pannel.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 10:04 AM 09-27-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
They had 450 yards and 24 points you dumbass, and would have had 30+ if his teammates didn't fumble 3x.

"can he learn to make plays"

hurr hurr
No wonder it took you so long to get laid.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:19 AM 09-27-2021
Just a couple pictures from yesterday. National Anthem Flag Bearers, Receivers getting ready, what I see when I turn around and look behind me.

Melissa Ethridge sang the National Anthem and gave Andy a big hug afterwards.
Attached: Anthem.jpg (195.4 KB) Receivers.jpg (194.2 KB) Behindme.jpg (170.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up