ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
eDave 05:58 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I use the Taylor test kit to monitor Ph and chlorine. 5 drops in each test tube. Easy as the strips aren’t accurate enough for pools IMO.
You use what? Dude, that kit sucks. Bet you paid over $20 for that nonsense. $80 if you are real dumb. Hire an immigrant and save yourself a bundle while enjoying the results a punk ass white kid cannot produce.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:15 AM 08-06-2021
Thinking about taking a stab at a crushed red pepper sauce for pizza. Similar to Melinda's which is decent but would like more zing.

https://melindas.com/shop/melindas-p...-pepper-sauce/

I like the idea of cayenne and sweet red peppers with garlic.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:01 AM 08-06-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
You use what? Dude, that kit sucks. Bet you paid over $20 for that nonsense. $80 if you are real dumb. Hire an immigrant and save yourself a bundle while enjoying the results a punk ass white kid cannot produce.
:-)

$10 and going on 7 years of doing my own pool. Never an issue, never green. $20 a month in chemicals.

I can learn anything, I just need more time for all my hobbies!
[Reply]
lewdog 09:21 AM 08-07-2021
Habaneros 6 for $1. Plan to ferment with onion and garlic but not sure on the ratio for a hot sauce? I love garlic if that helps.
[Reply]
crazycoffey 10:50 AM 08-07-2021
I do peach and mango habaneros. We grow our own bell peppers (green and purple) habanero and jalapeños (for a jam). I do apple cider vinegar for all mine. I’m allergic to corn….. it comes out pretty amazing.

I’m intrigued to taste you blueberry and black berry. I’d imagine the seed problem could be easily solved, a proper strainer the is large enough to let pulp through but just enough to catch the seeds. But maybe it’s a moot point after you taste the first batch.

Keep us posted!
[Reply]
lewdog 09:11 AM 08-08-2021
I got these 6oz plastic condiment bottles on Amazon for cheap. Many like them because if you decide to ferment and not pasteurize, you can just remove the little cap to let the air out while storing so bottles don't explode. Plus if you like some pulp in your hot sauce, these allow for thicker consistencies.

Close the fridge!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:43 AM 08-08-2021
Seems apropo in a way to put this here.

Pacific soup (the one that comes in a box) is inedible. And for frame of reference, I ate Nutrisystem for 5 months last year. So Pacific is really, really, REALLY bad.
[Reply]
cabletech94 11:16 AM 08-08-2021
I’ve ghost ghost peppers turning red in the garden now. I’ll have enough toms for another batch of salsa. What other uses with the ghosts could I do? I’ll have around 30 to 40 fruits by the end of the season. Thanks in advance!!
[Reply]
lewdog 03:35 PM 08-08-2021
Originally Posted by cabletech94:
I’ve ghost ghost peppers turning red in the garden now. I’ll have enough toms for another batch of salsa. What other uses with the ghosts could I do? I’ll have around 30 to 40 fruits by the end of the season. Thanks in advance!!
Ugh fermented hot sauce?!?!?!?!
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:52 PM 08-08-2021
Decided to reup my red jalapeno, garlic, and Japanese soy as I'm on my last bottle. I've been putting it on nearly everything.

1 3/4lb red jalapenos, 40/60 fire roasted to raw
1/4 C distilled water
3TB Tamari
1TB Kosher salt
6-7 strong pulses in the food processor

[Reply]
lewdog 07:54 PM 08-08-2021
KCUnited always killing it. I may try that.

I got my lids and started a garlic, habanero, onion and peach ferment. Will go 2-4 weeks before making the hot sauce.

These lids seems pretty legit and the glass weights are super heavy.

[Reply]
lewdog 07:09 AM 08-13-2021
Got a $6 habanero pepper plant to put in the garden yesterday.

I have jalapeño, Sante Fe Grande and now habanero plants. They rarely die back and live through winters here. My jalapeño plant is 4’ tall and 6 years old in my raised bed.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:36 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I ordered my fermenting kit while taking a dump at 4 am this morning. Also ordered some 6oz plastic condiment bottles to store hot sauce in the refrigerator for easy use/access. I’ll get glass ones later if I plan to shelf store anything.

Feels good man.

Easy Fermenter Wide Mouth Lid Kit (3 Lids + 3 Weights + Pump) – The Complete Starter Kit With Everything You Need To Begin Fermenting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789QYV52...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Well shit I guess I am jumping on this wagon. Just ordered this kit. I have about 6 habaneros from my garden ready to go and the ghost pepper plant has some babies on it as well.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:01 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Well shit I guess I am jumping on this wagon. Just ordered this kit. I have about 6 habaneros from my garden ready to go and the ghost pepper plant has some babies on it as well.
Yes!!!!!!

They had ghost pepper plants yesterday. I almost bought one of those too.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:57 AM 08-17-2021
Got about 10lbs of peaches from my neighbors tree. Going to give this recipe a go.

TL;DW - Fresno peppers, peaches, red onion (will likely add a hab or 2 to up the heat)

[Reply]
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Up