ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 12
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:35 PM 06-13-2021
I bought some dried peppers to go the salsa route. Haven’t got it done yet. Looking to get working on it after I get herbicide and fertilizer finished. I’ll be watching this thread.

FWIWthis is essentially what I’m after.

https://youtu.be/nrgwfS2EqjI
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 05:16 PM 06-13-2021
Kim Chee. Just don’t overfill your jar, the son of a bitch will explode on you
[Reply]
Stewie 07:41 PM 06-13-2021
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
Kim Chee. Just don’t overfill your jar, the son of a bitch will explode on you
As will all fermentations. You have to burp the contents or buy a lid/attachment that relieves pressure.
[Reply]
wazu 09:44 AM 06-14-2021
This seems to be really becoming a thing. I have a friend who stepped down from a full-time job so he could focus on growing his peppers and launching distribution of his hot sauce business. There's also a place in town now called "BeerSauce" that tries to do it all with craft beer, BBQ, and homemade hot sauce. On my list to check out.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:11 AM 06-14-2021
Agree its picking up steam. Seems to be driven by the potential health benefits and a growing "source your own" culture of consumers. Seems like every grocer I'm in has a kombucha station.

Although I've done zero research on it, the hot sauce market seems super saturated. Seems there's a gazillion hot sauces out there and people tend to only be loyal to just one or two. I can't imagine going into business on that alone but then again there's a gazillion coffee producers out there as well so what do I know.

Here's an Instagram I follow that does some cool stuff and sells products

*I don't own any of their products and am not affiliated with them in any way

https://www.instagram.com/goferment/
[Reply]
threebag 12:35 PM 06-14-2021
Crush the red pepper out of a cup of spicy ramen add ketchup, thin as needed
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:23 AM 06-15-2021
Anybody ever try jenkem? I hear it's having a resurgence of sorts...
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:25 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Agree its picking up steam. Seems to be driven by the potential health benefits and a growing "source your own" culture of consumers. Seems like every grocer I'm in has a kombucha station.

Although I've done zero research on it, the hot sauce market seems super saturated. Seems there's a gazillion hot sauces out there and people tend to only be loyal to just one or two. I can't imagine going into business on that alone but then again there's a gazillion coffee producers out there as well so what do I know.

Here's an Instagram I follow that does some cool stuff and sells products

*I don't own any of their products and am not affiliated with them in any way

https://www.instagram.com/goferment/
There's a ton of coffee producers but there's also a ton of coffee consumers, plus the amount of consumption per coffee drinker is much, much larger than hot sauce.

Hot sauce is a tiny market comparatively and there's literally hundreds of sauces on the market.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:52 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
There's a ton of coffee producers but there's also a ton of coffee consumers, plus the amount of consumption per coffee drinker is much, much larger than hot sauce.

Hot sauce is a tiny market comparatively and there's literally hundreds of sauces on the market.
Very true and the variations of coffee drinks has exploded as well. Kind of like craft beer that contains so much fruit and other adjuncts in it that it barely resembles beer yet they're wildly popular. I even like some of them.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:00 AM 06-15-2021
Very true and the variations of coffee drinks has exploded as well. Kind of like craft beer that contains so much fruit and other adjuncts in it that it barely resembles beer yet they're wildly popular. I even like some of them.
Yeah, I like coffee and tea in a thousand ways but a lot of the coffee places sell milk and sugar that may or may not contain coffee. :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:36 AM 06-15-2021
Yeah, there's a "Super Coffee" that's pretty good and I'm pretty sure contains very little coffee, if any.

And just had a Humble Forager sour the other day that was close to the Mountains Walking smoothies, vaguely resembling beer as long as you don't pour the last 4 ounces.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:42 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, there's a "Super Coffee" that's pretty good and I'm pretty sure contains very little coffee, if any.

And just had a Humble Forager sour the other day that was close to the Mountains Walking smoothies, vaguely resembling beer as long as you don't pour the last 4 ounces.
I grabbed a 4pk of Phase Three Nectar - watermelon/blueberry/peach/key lime for the wife a couple weekends ago and loved it so much I drank 3 of them.

The empty glass looked like it had been a V8 or something with all the watermelon thickness still coating the glass.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:11 AM 06-15-2021
I grabbed a 4pk of Phase Three Nectar - watermelon/blueberry/peach/key lime for the wife a couple weekends ago and loved it so much I drank 3 of them.

The empty glass looked like it had been a V8 or something with all the watermelon thickness still coating the glass.
:-)

I have a peach tree and I'm considering trying something like that this year, despite July/Aug being such a terrible time to brew in Arizona (or else freeze the peaches for months).... did a simple peach brandy last year that is pretty decent and still aging.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:21 AM 06-15-2021
And I guess to bring that back to the actual topic, also made some killer peach salsa last year with some Sonoran Spices ghost pepper salt.. had a good kick to it.
[Reply]
srvy 12:37 PM 06-15-2021
Here is a peach and scotch bonnet hot sauce I always wanted to try but the peppers are rare around here. I have tried to grow but can't get enough sunshine. Its a old subdivision with huge mature trees.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...ach-hot-sauce/
[Reply]
Page 2 of 12
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up