ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 60 of 62
« First < 10505657585960 6162 >
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
Danguardace 11:50 AM 07-03-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Isn't Skyward a YA novel?
I guess
[Reply]
DaFace 01:41 PM 07-03-2022
Isn't Skyward a YA novel?
To some extent, but they're a nice, quick read and are a nice palette cleanser after some of Sanderson's denser books. I enjoyed the first two and have the third downloaded.

I keep wanting to get to the Malazan books, but it's pretty daunting. Is it best to just read sequentially, or is there a better entry point?
[Reply]
Third Eye 04:30 PM 07-03-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
To some extent, but they're a nice, quick read and are a nice palette cleanser after some of Sanderson's denser books. I enjoyed the first two and have the third downloaded.

I keep wanting to get to the Malazan books, but it's pretty daunting. Is it best to just read sequentially, or is there a better entry point?
I’ve only read the main 10, so take this for what it’s worth, but I couldn’t imagine trying to work in the other books on a first read.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:01 PM 07-03-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:

I'd go sequentially on Malazan. Book 5 is a good pausing point if you need to take a break.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:02 PM 07-03-2022
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
I’ve only read the main 10, so take this for what it’s worth, but I couldn’t imagine trying to work in the other books on a first read.
Talking about the ICE books? Good info and some clarification in them, but if you don't read the ICE books, you really won't miss anything in the main 10 books of Malazan.

The ICE books are easier reads than Erickson's work.
[Reply]
Third Eye 06:45 PM 07-03-2022
Talking about the ICE books? Good info and some clarification in them, but if you don't read the ICE books, you really won't miss anything in the main 10 books of Malazan.

The ICE books are easier reads than Erickson's work.
Yeah, I mean, I assume that was the question. Sure, there are a few weirdos that suggest starting with 5 or reading 1-3-2-4, but those are pretty fringe ideas. There are a decent amount of folk that suggest reading the main 10 interspersed chronologically with the ICE. That seems like a fine idea for a reread, but I can’t imagine doing that on a 1st pass.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:39 AM 07-04-2022
Yeah, the only part of IcE that I would personally recommend reading before the book of the fallen is Knight of Knives.

It’s an easier read and sets you into the world
fairly well. Would make Gardens of the Moon less of a “wtf” start.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:47 AM 07-04-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yeah, the only part of IcE that I would personally recommend reading before the book of the fallen is Knight of Knives.

It’s an easier read and sets you into the world
fairly well. Would make Gardens of the Moon less of a “wtf” start.
Great point. I'll have to remember it when I recommend the series.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:30 AM 11-25-2022
Looking at Sanderson's site for updates on Stormlight 5, and it really aggravates me that he wrote a bunch of "pandemic books" instead of working on the next Stormlight book.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 11:05 PM 12-22-2022
Just finished Project Haily Mary by Andy Weir.

Thought it was fantastic! I have not read the Martian, his most famous work, but I may have to double back.

Setting my reading goals for 2023 ( I did this for the first time this year....and I read more than I had in years and throughly enjoyed, so I am gonna do it again).

Was thinking of finally tackling Malazan---I know many in this thread have read this series, and there is some debate on what order to read the books (where to mix in the ones written by Esselmount from what I gather). Any suggestions on a good reading order?

Thanks!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:07 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
Just finished Project Haily Mary by Andy Weir.

Thought it was fantastic! I have not read the Martian, his most famous work, but I may have to double back.

Setting my reading goals for 2023 ( I did this for the first time this year....and I read more than I had in years and throughly enjoyed, so I am gonna do it again).

Was thinking of finally tackling Malazan---I know many in this thread have read this series, and there is some debate on what order to read the books (where to mix in the ones written by Esselmount from what I gather). Any suggestions on a good reading order?

Thanks!

I recommend at least reading Knight of Knives first.

I would not recommend the newest prequel trilogy before BoF, though.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 11:30 AM 12-23-2022
I recommend at least reading Knight of Knives first.

I would not recommend the newest prequel trilogy before BoF, though.
So start with Knight of Knives, then basically go in order throught the Erickson books?

I was thinking publication order, as that is how most folks would have done it, but am open to changing it up for the best story experience.

Thanks!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:48 AM 12-28-2022
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
So start with Knight of Knives, then basically go in order throught the Erickson books?

I was thinking publication order, as that is how most folks would have done it, but am open to changing it up for the best story experience.

Thanks!

There are a few of the Esselmont books that can be helpful to read as you’re going through BotF (Return of the Crimson Guard is the main one).

I like Night of Knives first because it sets some of the stage you’re dropped into in Gardens of the Moon.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 12:28 PM 12-28-2022
There are a few of the Esselmont books that can be helpful to read as you’re going through BotF (Return of the Crimson Guard is the main one).

I like Night of Knives first because it sets some of the stage you’re dropped into in Gardens of the Moon.
I started with GotM because I had no idea, but when I finally got to NoK I had quite a few "ooooooh, that makes sense" moments.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:07 AM 01-07-2023
So I made an impulse buy on Audible - Reality Bleed by J.Z. Foster and Justin Woodward and was listed as sci-fi/horror. If you like ultraviolence and gore in your sci-fi escapism, well do I have good news for you. It's almost like they're exactly ripping off Doom 2016/Doom Eternal (it takes place on Mars with hellish creatures pouring in out of a portal we opened to another dimension), but it's kept me engaged. It's close enough to the game so far that I keep waiting to hear the Doom music start playing.

The premise is actually kinda cool - America and Russia at each other's throats with the space race beginning in earnest in the 70's when the Soviets shot down one of our Apollo missions, then America became obsessed with getting the higher ground of space, all the way to Mars. If you're looking for something to pass the time with a little bit of hellish nightmare-scapes, check it out.
[Reply]
Page 60 of 62
« First < 10505657585960 6162 >
Up