ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 54 of 62
« First < 4445051525354 55565758 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:42 AM 07-13-2021
The Time Traveler's Almanac

Very large anthology of time travel stories. I've read 60 of the 65 stories and the hit to miss ratio is pretty poor. Probably going to move on to something else.

The best of the bunch:

“The Lost Pilgrim” by Gene Wolfe
“The Mouse Ran Down” by Adrian Tchaikovsky
“Under Siege” by George R. R. Martin
“Fire Watch” by Connie Willis
“Vintage Season” by Henry Kuttner & C. L. Moore

It also includes an abridged version of "The Time Machine" by H. G. Wells. I don't really get why they would include an abridged version of a classic story. They should have included Alfred Bester's "The Men Who Murdered Mohammed" or Heinlein's "By His Bootstraps" and "All You Zombies" or maybe Fredric Brown's "Hall of Mirrors" instead.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:08 PM 07-14-2021
After finally finishing my masters, I have time to read. I decided to snag a free 3 month Kindle Unlimited subscription, and basically nothing that is recommended here appears to be included.

My question is this: do good sci-fi books exist on Kindle Unlimited?
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:15 AM 07-15-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
After finally finishing my masters, I have time to read. I decided to snag a free 3 month Kindle Unlimited subscription, and basically nothing that is recommended here appears to be included.

My question is this: do good sci-fi books exist on Kindle Unlimited?
Good may be stretching it a bit, but the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson is a pretty fun read.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/185...itionary-force
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:13 AM 07-15-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Good may be stretching it a bit, but the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson is a pretty fun read.

I ended up glomming on to the book series by Joel Shepherd starting with "Renegade", but that looks promising. In all, Kindle Unlimited seems to have a mountain of shit to sift through so I doubt I'll keep it past 3 months.
[Reply]
Danguardace 08:20 AM 07-15-2021
Currently Reading Dune hoping to finish before the film

Others I have read recently and loved both are

The Second Planet - Shelby Merry

and

Solaris - Stanislaw Lem
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:25 AM 07-15-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I ended up glomming on to the book series by Joel Shepherd starting with "Renegade", but that looks promising. In all, Kindle Unlimited seems to have a mountain of shit to sift through so I doubt I'll keep it past 3 months.
I dumped it after the 3 month freebie. Same reason.
[Reply]
stumppy 07:15 PM 07-15-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:

I'll second this.

Skippy is such an asshole.:-)
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:50 AM 07-18-2021
The Best Time Travel Stories of the Twentieth Century

Two best stories:

Sailing to Byzantium by Robert Silverberg

The Man Who Came Early by Poul Anderson
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:00 AM 07-18-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Man wrote a book about me and didn't even consult me first
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:50 PM 07-18-2021
About to go HAM on some Dune stuff.

Butlerian Jihad, Machine Crusade, whatever the third book is called, and Paul of Dune.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:54 PM 07-18-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
The Best Time Travel Stories of the Twentieth Century

Two best stories:

Sailing to Byzantium by Robert Silverberg

Cool, thanks. I'm in a mood for subject like that, I'll check these out.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:55 PM 07-18-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
About to go HAM on some Dune stuff.

Butlerian Jihad, Machine Crusade, whatever the third book is called, and Paul of Dune.
It's been decades since I've read any Dune. With the movie coming out, I should at least brush up on it before it gets here.
[Reply]
frozenchief 01:17 PM 07-18-2021
I’m enjoying the Ember War series by Richard Fox. I’m in the middle of volume 3 so maybe it turns To shit later but so far I like it.
[Reply]
stumppy 01:50 PM 07-18-2021
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
I’m enjoying the Ember War series by Richard Fox. I’m in the middle of volume 3 so maybe it turns To shit later but so far I like it.
Well worth the read. It's one of the few series I've read twice.
[Reply]
stumppy 02:12 PM 07-18-2021
I really like the military/scifi series Galaxy's Edge by Jason Anspach along with some of the spinoffs. Don't read the 3 book spinoff/backstory, Galaxy's Edge: Savage Wars, until you get through to about book 7 or 8 in the series.
[Reply]
Page 54 of 62
« First < 4445051525354 55565758 > Last »
Up