ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 46 of 62
« First < 364243444546 4748495056 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
patteeu 03:37 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Cryptonomicon ?
My favorites are The Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon.
[Reply]
Bowser 05:56 PM 09-19-2019
Cryptonomicon ?
Loved Cryptonomicon. Definitely my favorite from Stephenson.
[Reply]
Miles 08:07 AM 09-22-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
So for years I've heard about how good this book series by Pierce Brown is, that starts with the novel Red Rising. I've had it on Audible for I don't know how long, and for whatever reason I've never started to listen to it. Until last night, when I finally started listening to the book, and....holy shit. I don't even know how to describe it. It almost evokes Dune, which I think most of you probably know is my favorite book of all time. And i'm only maybe 5 hours into Red Rising, and I'm already thinking it's this good. I can't wait to get into the whole series, which is I think up to 7 volumes now.
I was reluctant to start that series thinking it was YA for some reason. Barely slept as I ripped through the first trilogy once I started.
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:54 PM 09-22-2019
Yeah, the YA thing may have been it for me, too. You hear Hunger Games as a comparison in some of the blurbs for Red Rising.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:34 PM 09-22-2019
Yeah, the YA thing may have been it for me, too. You hear Hunger Games as a comparison in some of the blurbs for Red Rising.
YA= young adult?
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:24 PM 09-22-2019
Yeah.
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:36 PM 09-28-2019
I finally, finally made my way through that massive compilation of Hugo award winning short stories. I think it's time that I admit to myself that I may not actually like sci-fi. 99.9 percent of it is just crap.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 03:22 PM 09-28-2019
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I finally, finally made my way through that massive compilation of Hugo award winning short stories. I think it's time that I admit to myself that I may not actually like sci-fi. 99.9 percent of it is just crap.
This is true of everything. Short stories aren't really my thing but I've heard there are some really great collections out there. Gene Wolfe, Lafferty, Zelazny. That newish Chinese guy is supposed to be pretty good.
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:31 PM 09-28-2019
I'm squarely in the 'who gives a **** about the Hugo's' camp. It's a popularity contest with winners decided by fan vote, and it's basically turned into conservatives versus liberals (international groups, this isn't a US thing.. ). So if it ever was about quality, it certainly doesn't seem to be any more. People seem to vote more for political reasons, or to advance social causes, and I've found that, particularly for the last 10ish years, the nominees rarely reflect my personal tastes, much less the winners. So it may not be that you don't like science fiction or fantasy, you may just not like sci-fi and fantasy as it's presented by the Hugo's.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 03:40 PM 09-28-2019
I'm squarely in the 'who gives a **** about the Hugo's' camp. It's a popularity contest with winners decided by fan vote, and it's basically turned into conservatives versus liberals (international groups, this isn't a US thing.. ). So if it ever was about quality, it certainly doesn't seem to be any more. People seem to vote more for political reasons, or to advance social causes, and I've found that, particularly for the last 10ish years, the nominees rarely reflect my personal tastes, much less the winners. So it may not be that you don't like science fiction or fantasy, you may just not like sci-fi and fantasy as it's presented by the Hugo's.
Its been a huge mess for awhile now.
[Reply]
stumppy 08:11 AM 09-29-2019
Yea, I read ?/ can't even remember the title/ that had won the Hugo. Turned out to be a pretty crappy read. I was thinking WTF? Your post is a pretty good explanation why.
[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 08:16 AM 09-29-2019
Lord Dunsany
Ambrose Bierce
H.P.Lovecraft
Robert E. Howard
Otis Kline

must reads
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:18 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Hugo doesn't mean squat any longer. The Hugo's are now about how woke you are, not the quality of your work.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:29 PM 10-07-2019
Finished the Malazan series. The second half of book 10 really picked up in pace and was an enjoyable read. I appreciate how he used the epilogue to wrap up as much as was possible.

Thanks to whoever recommended this one, I'm glad to have read it. I know I liked it because when it was over I realized I'll be doing a second read at some point in the future.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:16 PM 10-07-2019
Finished the Malazan series. The second half of book 10 really picked up in pace and was an enjoyable read. I appreciate how he used the epilogue to wrap up as much as was possible.

Thanks to whoever recommended this one, I'm glad to have read it. I know I liked it because when it was over I realized I'll be doing a second read at some point in the future.
I've read the series twice, and am now listening to it on Audible for my work commute.
[Reply]
Page 46 of 62
« First < 364243444546 4748495056 > Last »
Up