ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Is Linux Mint more senior friendly than windows??
booger 08:44 PM 01-28-2023
So my mom is getting older and having troubles like we all do as we age. Windows she is getting really tired of. Acer is the brand i think. I need help senior citizen proofing that sumbitch. All sorts of crap she is falling for with purchase this software etc. I have installed the pay version of malwarebytes on her laptop and told her that's all she needs. I have a VPN for her as well. But she's just getting tired of the same old shit with windows and doesn't troubleshoot like she used to. I told her anything new she will have to learn with articles online and youtube vids etc. Maybe even a book or two which she was ok with all that. Linux seems to be known as very user friendly. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in their more simple type platforms not just mint.

I'm needing a laptop and thinking myself of getting one off ebay with linux or unbuntu pre installed. Seller on Ebay has refurbished Dell lattitude 7490 business laptops that he puts 3-4-5 year warranties on. That's all he sells is Dell 7490s For me personally I wonder what I can't do on a Linux os that I can on windows. I have an Iphone so im familiar with Safari browser just not much else on macs. I like the idea of open source based linux systems.

I am playing around with it on an old Lenovo laptop that's falling apart and I installed virtual box on.

Any advice on the Linux OS experiences or like I said for me purchasing a refurb laptop with linux pre installed if you have any suggestions besides ebay or a particular brand and model let me know

Thanks in Advance
[Reply]
DCTwister 08:47 PM 01-28-2023
No experience with Linux but if you are looking for something simpler for your Mom, look at Mac. I switched to Mac for personal and business 10 years ago and never went back. Mac a lot less shit to mess with and have to configure than Windows. Not cheaper of course.
[Reply]
booger 08:56 PM 01-28-2023
Originally Posted by DCTwister:
No experience with Linux but if you are looking for something simpler for your Mom, look at Mac. I switched to Mac for personal and business 10 years ago and never went back. Mac a lot less shit to mess with and have to configure than Windows. Not cheaper of course.
its possible in the long term. Right now her laptop is in good shape. runs great I just want to change her OS. I've read that there are different versions of Linux that you can customize to make it similar to different Mac and Windows software that a person might like set up just not all the hassle and BS. That's good to know about Mac though. Much less intrusive it sounds like.
[Reply]
Fish 09:57 PM 01-28-2023
Yeah, I'm not sure Linux would be my choice for a senior. In many ways it's simpler than Win10. But that doesn't really mean it's easier. Simply running Linux isn't going to prevent all online scams.

I'd also recommend an old Mac.
[Reply]
booger 10:19 PM 01-28-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
Yeah, I'm not sure Linux would be my choice for a senior. In many ways it's simpler than Win10. But that doesn't really mean it's easier. Simply running Linux isn't going to prevent all online scams.

I'd also recommend an old Mac.
I was just looking into Elementary OS and Zorin OS because they are close to Mac.

Yes, part of the trouble is getting her to just close the bs popups and warnings etc. Gets her concerned that something will go wrong. Part of it is trying to have a safer platform for online shopping as well. Too much bs for lots of old folks to handle. I may end up going Mac just going to research awhile yet.
[Reply]
Fish 10:40 PM 01-28-2023
Originally Posted by booger:
I was just looking into Elementary OS and Zorin OS because they are close to Mac.

Yes, part of the trouble is getting her to just close the bs popups and warnings etc. Gets her concerned that something will go wrong. Part of it is trying to have a safer platform for online shopping as well. Too much bs for lots of old folks to handle. I may end up going Mac just going to research awhile yet.
Regardless of what OS you go with... Figure out what browser she prefers, and remove the others. Lock that browser down and install a good ad blocker. I recommend uBlock Origin. Try and explain to her to call you immediately if she's presented with any kind of confusing prompt/update/email. Explain to her the only permittable communication methods for dealing with all online shopping/bills/utilities. I tell my family to simply not install any updates unless they call me first or I'm present. Install TeamViewer on their machine, so if they ever have issues you can easily remotely fix it. That's about the best I've managed to keep my family from falling for the bullshit. Nothing's perfect.
[Reply]
booger 10:49 PM 01-28-2023
Regardless of what OS you go with... Figure out what browser she prefers, and remove the others. Lock that browser down and install a good ad blocker. I recommend uBlock Origin. Try and explain to her to call you immediately if she's presented with any kind of confusing prompt/update/email. Explain to her the only permittable communication methods for dealing with all online shopping/bills/utilities. I tell my family to simply not install any updates unless they call me first or I'm present. Install TeamViewer on their machine, so if they ever have issues you can easily remotely fix it. That's about the best I've managed to keep my family from falling for the bullshit. Nothing's perfect.
Thanks! Sound advice. I’ll get that software installed on her laptop. She likes chrome and uses it exclusively. I also with her have started to print off instructions or things she often has trouble with and print off then laminate them so they are easy to access. Stuff like the input button on the remote to move back and forth between Roku and the dvd player.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:41 PM 01-28-2023
I'd say Ubuntu is more "Mac-like" than Mint (honestly I'd say Apple has taken from Ubuntu over the years) and I've used it quite a bit on older machines through the years. I like it For simplicity, I'd call it better than Mint.

I think what Fish had to say addresses the issue far more than anything though.
[Reply]
Otter 12:23 AM 01-29-2023
What does she use the laptop for? That's the $10k question.

If it's just browsing the web and checking email you can't really go wrong with Linux.
[Reply]
Fish 01:01 AM 01-29-2023
Thanks! Sound advice. I’ll get that software installed on her laptop. She likes chrome and uses it exclusively. I also with her have started to print off instructions or things she often has trouble with and print off then laminate them so they are easy to access. Stuff like the input button on the remote to move back and forth between Roku and the dvd player.
Sometimes password managers are useful for elderly. My family typically wants to store all their username/password/instructions in a notebook or 3 scattered randomly wherever and rarely having current info. Sometimes with numerous random sheets of paper tucked in with conflicting info.

Install a password manager and centralize all info there. It can autofill that info into browsers when necessary. Clients available for all devices. I use both LastPass and KeePass due to work requirements. But I think LastPass works better for me for personal stuff. Chrome extensions available.

For backup redundancy, have them take pictures of their current lists of usernames/passwords/instructions. Save to the smartphone.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:26 AM 01-29-2023
Chrome no longer allows AdBlock, but if you download Mozilla Firefox, then you can get ad blocker and there is an option to move your Google chrome accounts into Mozilla. You can pretty much make it look the same exact way.
[Reply]
booger 02:34 AM 01-29-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'd say Ubuntu is more "Mac-like" than Mint (honestly I'd say Apple has taken from Ubuntu over the years) and I've used it quite a bit on older machines through the years. I like it For simplicity, I'd call it better than Mint.

I think what Fish had to say addresses the issue far more than anything though.
I need to dual boot unbuntu or whichever Linux version and let her keep windows for a short time incase she doesn’t like it. Then once I pick up another laptop I might be better served to get a Mac because I know I will like that but I could also let her use it to see if she likes that compared to Linux. But yeah that’s what I’m looking for is different opinions on Linux because I know Mac is user friendly.

And yes Fish has good input on other software and general advice with the matter. Thanks man! Heard good stuff about unbuntu
[Reply]
booger 02:37 AM 01-29-2023
Originally Posted by Otter:
What does she use the laptop for? That's the $10k question.

If it's just browsing the web and checking email you can't really go wrong with Linux.
Web email just like you said. No gaming or heavy duty space eating software. Just want a more user friendly and less invasive os instead of windows
[Reply]
booger 02:38 AM 01-29-2023
Sometimes password managers are useful for elderly. My family typically wants to store all their username/password/instructions in a notebook or 3 scattered randomly wherever and rarely having current info. Sometimes with numerous random sheets of paper tucked in with conflicting info.

Install a password manager and centralize all info there. It can autofill that info into browsers when necessary. Clients available for all devices. I use both LastPass and KeePass due to work requirements. But I think LastPass works better for me for personal stuff. Chrome extensions available.

For backup redundancy, have them take pictures of their current lists of usernames/passwords/instructions. Save to the smartphone.
Exactly. I have to get that set for her too. My thumbprint on my phone to access them is so handy!
[Reply]
booger 02:40 AM 01-29-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Chrome no longer allows AdBlock, but if you download Mozilla Firefox, then you can get ad blocker and there is an option to move your Google chrome accounts into Mozilla. You can pretty much make it look the same exact way.
Thanks that will come in handy here once I get going!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up