ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 21
« First < 101617181920 21 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers
Eleazar 12:54 PM 03-07-2023
Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers, sources say

The New York Jets have had conversations with the Green Bay Packers and with quarterback Aaron Rodgers this week regarding a potential trade of the four-time MVP to the Jets, according to sources.

The sources said some of those conversations were expected to take place Tuesday, but that it's unclear as of Tuesday morning whether they will result in a trade.

Rodgers still has not made any announcements about what he intends to do this season. It's still possible he decides to retire, or to stay in Green Bay. But if he still wants to play and he and the Packers agree it's time for him to play somewhere else, the Jets appear to be a realistic option.

If the Jets are speaking directly with Rodgers, they and he would have had to secure the Packers' permission, as he is still under contract with Green Bay. So, the discussions Rodgers is having with the Jets indicate at least some openness on the part of the Packers to the idea of trading him there.

But there are potential complications to a deal, including Rodgers' huge and complicated contract, that might have to be addressed to make sure both teams would be in compliance with the salary cap by the start of the league year next Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Rodgers is under contract through 2024 for $108.8 million. Technically, the contract, signed last March, runs through 2026, but 2025 and 2026 are considered "dummy" years for cap purposes. His deal includes a fully guaranteed $59.5 million this season, with $58.3 million coming in the form of an option bonus, payable before the start of the regular season.

Because his bonus money is prorated, Rodgers wouldn't hobble the Jets' cap. He would count $15.8 million in 2023 and $32.5 million in 2024, cap-friendly for a player of his stature.

The Packers would get hit with a $40.3 million "dead" charge in 2023 -- nearly $9 million more than he'd count if he were on the roster.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rs-sources-say
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:30 AM 04-13-2023
Don't trade for a 39 year old QB if you are looking for the guarantee of a multi-year commitment, JFC.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:36 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I don't know man, from everything reported this morning, it sounds like they had a deal in place, Rodgers made his comment about being 90% sure about retirement, and Woody Johnson got scared.

Packers reportedly were/are even willing to give something back in 2025 if Rodgers retires after one season, but the Jets said no.

Seems like it's the Jets holding this thing up now.
Give SOMETHING back. It was probably some bullshit low pick in return.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:46 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Give SOMETHING back. It was probably some bullshit low pick in return.
Possibly, but I doubt it's really something insulting, and the Jets still appear the team being bitches about this entire thing.

Why would the Packers take less now because Rodgers opened his big fucking mouth? I know I wouldn't.
[Reply]
scho63 09:46 AM 04-13-2023
A lot of good rebuttals here to my idea but Wisconsin Chief, this statement is really silly:

To be fair, Rodgers hasn't really been the cause of any of this.
[Reply]
scho63 09:49 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Don't trade for a 39 year old QB if you are looking for the guarantee of a multi-year commitment, JFC.
A 39 year old, eccentric, non-committal, not good teammate is WORSE than Zach Wilson.

This is just like buying a lot of lottery tickets for the Powerball thinking it will be the jackpot.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:50 AM 04-13-2023
I mean sure, Rodgers could possibly reitre, or he can play at an MVP level for the next 3-4 years too.

Are the Jets going to offer to send another 1st in a few years if Rodgers gets another MVP and plays 3-4 years? If they win a SB?

I don't blame the Packers here at all.
[Reply]
O.city 09:52 AM 04-13-2023
The Packers are fucked if they can't trade him.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:53 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
The Packers are fucked if they can't trade him.
And so are the Jets...
[Reply]
O.city 09:57 AM 04-13-2023
And so are the Jets...
Probably.

Atleast they could pivot and go a different direction if they wanted.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:59 AM 04-13-2023
Probably.

Atleast they could pivot and go a different direction if they wanted.
If that were an option, we'd know that by now. They've already went all-in on Rodgers. They've shown their hand.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:00 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
To be fair, Rodgers hasn't really been the cause of any of this. He immediately made it known he wanted to play for the Jets and didn't waste anyone's time. This is on the Packers front office for being clueless idiots (which they have been for years) and thinking they have some kind of leverage here when they have absolutely none whatsoever.

Rodgers could certainly come out and commit to playing for 2 more years, but it's not really his problem to make Woody Johnson feel better about the situation. I actually agree though about Jackson. Not sure why they wouldn't be taking a look at him. Seems Johnson got dead set on Rodgers and there's no turning back now.
Bolded part 1 is patently false, Rodgers drug his feet and didn't say anything about playing again for sure until fairly recently. This also seemed to coincide with GB saying they were moving on which kind of forced his hand.

The second part also explains why Rodgers is the main issue in all of this and why he hasn't been traded yet.
[Reply]
O.city 10:01 AM 04-13-2023
If that were an option, we'd know that by now. They've already went all-in on Rodgers. They've shown their hand.
Sure.

But there's still the offseason/draft etc so they could do something else.

If it falls thru, the pack are taking that hit and dealing with all this shit again. It's kinda hilarious.

The Jets should pivot to Stafford and see if they can get something there.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:02 AM 04-13-2023
The Packers have traditionally been well run for not having an owner. Jordan Love will surely be one of the more polarizing players in the league next year simply bc of expectations and limited play time.

God I can’t imagine what it would be like for the rest of that division if Love is another great one. That’s probably not likely, but even a very good QB?

Damn man
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:02 AM 04-13-2023
Sure.

If it falls thru, the pack are taking that hit and dealing with all this shit again. It's kinda hilarious.

Yea if I'm the Jets I'm walking away or at least telling GB and Rodgers that I'm done waiting.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:09 AM 04-13-2023
Sure.

Lol Stafford is done dude. Did you watch him at all last year?
[Reply]
Page 20 of 21
« First < 101617181920 21 >
Up