ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 17
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>School's out for Summer!-AMA
displacedinMN 03:32 PM 06-09-2019
I said I would.

But a few classroom rules.
1. The answer to the obligatory question. No
2. There are no stupid questions-just stupid people that ask questions.
3. Teacher has the right to suspend you.
4. Teacher can take regular quarter and holiday breaks.
[Reply]
ptlyon 11:25 AM 06-10-2019
Where did your fascination with weather come from?

Mine came from a tornado that hit our electric company's coal station. I was home alone that day watching TV with the weather updates. The sky was that sinister green, and hay was falling in our yard on the Westside of town.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/blogs/s...507290b55.html
[Reply]
notorious 11:43 AM 06-10-2019
Are you willing to teach at a small school of 100 or less students?

I have yet to hear much less witness some of the stories you or other large school teachers have told me.

Our little school has issues, but nothing like the big schools.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 11:52 AM 06-10-2019
Do you teach real life problem solving like, oh let's say, checking the water supply line on your dishwasher before replacing the old dishwasher twice?
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:59 AM 06-10-2019
Why does it seem like every time you talk about teaching you seem to loath and hate the kids you teach? Students can tell when a teacher enjoys teaching and it affects their desire to engage with you.

The best teachers i ever had LOVED teaching. They were passionate about what they taught and it was contagious to their students. The worst were the grumpy curmudgeons who acted like every kid was a burden and didn't want to be there.

Ive been wanting to ask that for years but never felt like having any static with you.

But this is an AMA thread so....
[Reply]
loochy 12:01 PM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Why does it seem like every time you talk about teaching you seem to loath and hate the kids you teach?
Well they're probably dickholes
[Reply]
tyecopeland 12:05 PM 06-10-2019
Why does it seem like every time you talk about teaching you seem to loath and hate the kids you teach? Students can tell when a teacher enjoys teaching and it affects their desire to engage with you.

The best teachers i ever had LOVED teaching. They were passionate about what they taught and it was contagious to their students. The worst were the grumpy curmudgeons who acted like every kid was a burden and didn't want to be there.

Ive been wanting to ask that for years but never felt like having any static with you.

I cant answer for him, but I wanted to share my answer. Do you like everyone you work with? Probably not. Teaching is similar. The majority of students are great but it's the shitheads that stand out and are also the stories that most people want to hear about. I've hated some kids I've taught but some of those same kids thought that they were my favorites. They didn't know how I really felt.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:13 PM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
I cant answer for him, but I wanted to share my answer. Do you like everyone you work with? Probably not. Teaching is similar. The majority of students are great but it's the shitheads that stand out and are also the stories that most people want to hear about. I've hated some kids I've taught but some of those same kids thought that they were my favorites. They didn't know how I really felt.
I assume that to be the case. Just years of reading displaced's posts and he never, ever has anything nice to say about his students.

I've had teachers who loved their job. Ive had teachers who hated their job.

Generally speaking, the teachers who didnt seem like they wanted to be there got very little respect or results from their kids.

W/e, i'm not trying to be disrespectful. Maybe you only come here to vent, Displaced. Just stating my limited observations and experience.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:18 PM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Where did your fascination with weather come from?

Mine came from a tornado that hit our electric company's coal station. I was home alone that day watching TV with the weather updates. The sky was that sinister green, and hay was falling in our yard on the Westside of town.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/blogs/s...507290b55.html
Living on the farm. You know everything depends on the weather. As a kid I would get scared. I turned that into an understanding of why. It is also a great conversation piece.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:19 PM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
Are you willing to teach at a small school of 100 or less students?

I have yet to hear much less witness some of the stories you or other large school teachers have told me.

Our little school has issues, but nothing like the big schools.
I had very little issues when I taught in Iowa. Just a different vibe. Big schools and cities along with open enrollment and busing allow parents to become detached from their students. A lot of parents talk a big game......
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:22 PM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by Flachief58:
Do you teach real life problem solving like, oh let's say, checking the water supply line on your dishwasher before replacing the old dishwasher twice?
Ha. Surprised you remember that. We moved out 3 months after that so I put in a cheaper DW..

I talk about being a decent person, deadlines, how real life is different than school. How most of them will work in the summer and not sit at home.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:30 PM 06-10-2019

No prob--you can't scare me-I teach Middle School.

I love the subject and care about what they learn and how it relates to them. I take my job very seriously. They know that. They also know that if they do stupid things, I get after them. Like I said, I treat them like I treated my own kids. It seems to work. Good and bad days.

Most of the kids are great. We usually talk about 5% that are issues. But there are so many issues. Apathy, meanness, refusal to work, moodiness. It is really getting worse. Crazy worse.

The ones I see later are the good ones. The bad ones seem to vaporize. It is human nature to go to the bad. We have to be reminded about the good. I also try hard to go home and close the door to the bad. I have other things I have to do at home. Like my kids and issues. The teachers that "bring kids issues" home with them get eaten alive.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:35 PM 06-10-2019
What careers would you recommend to the youth you currently teach?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:35 PM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
Most that do not teach do not understand teaching.

In a job-a boss tells adults what to do. Most of the time they do it. Some well, others not.

In teaching-I can just let them go on their own. Even with independent work, kids still have the attention span of sperm. I have to be on them all the time. It is exhausting. We can't let kids leave and go to the bathroom. They ask. I know when every kid poops or has a period. Most cannot be trusted to get up, leave and come back without knowing what is happening.

I am in charge of 35 people that turn over every 85 minutes. If I take a phone call more than 20 seconds, it can take 3 minutes for them to get attention back to class.

We have school procedures that are supposed to be followed. Some adults don't. It makes us hard when we should be unified.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:36 PM 06-10-2019
Detox-sometimes it is the adults that are the issue. Not the students.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:40 PM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
What careers would you recommend to the youth you currently teach?
If they are not interested in a 4 year degree. Don't.

I am all for mechanics, HVAC, welders, etc. We need them. There are not enough of them. Later, if they want to move up or go on their own, then get the business degree.

Anything medical-PT, therapy

But art history, philosophy, social studies are all worthless unless you can teach at a college.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 17
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up