ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Media Center>So...I finally watched Waterworld this weekend
keg in kc 03:51 PM 03-07-2012
As far as I recall I'd never seen it. And to be honest I'm not sure why I watched it now. Morbid curiosity maybe. It just happened to be on HBO late and night, and it's been panned so badly I thought it was going to be the worst movie of all time. And I gotta admit that after watching it I'm kind of wondering what all the bad buzz was about. I've seen way, way, way worse movies. I can't remember much from 1995, but I'm wondering if it was one of those dogpile instances, where dumping on it was just the hip thing to do. I'm not saying it's a great flick or anything like that, but it was entertaining enough to keep me watching the whole time. I was expecting much worse than I got. Something historically bad rather than marginal.
[Reply]
Silock 07:40 PM 03-07-2012
I didn't think it was bad ta all.

I also really like The Postman.
[Reply]
FAX 07:49 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by frazod:
Tin Cup was pretty good. I would have probably really enjoyed it if I didn't despise golf. And I loved Wyatt Earp. Hell, I even liked Robin Hood.

The one movie he did that I truly, utterly hated was No Way Out, and that was primarily because of the ridiculous storm at sea scene where his character abandoned his post in the middle of a storm to rescue a crew member who would have never been on the weather decks during a storm in the first place. I saw that turd near the base when I was in the Navy and half the people in the theater got up and left right after that scene. The only reason I didn't was because I had a date with me.
I'm with you on all that.

Honestly, I think his best performance was that Mr. Brooks deal. In my opinion, he was excellent in that role.

He's an odd duck, though. Did I ever tell you guys about the absolute fiasco that was his first country/western singing performance at the Grand Ol' Opry? Jesus wept that day, I tell you. And so did his band members.

FAX
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:56 PM 03-07-2012
Tin Cup was pretty good. I would have probably really enjoyed it if I didn't despise golf. And I loved Wyatt Earp. Hell, I even liked Robin Hood.

The one movie he did that I truly, utterly hated was No Way Out, and that was primarily because of the ridiculous storm at sea scene where his character abandoned his post in the middle of a storm to rescue a crew member who would have never been on the weather decks during a storm in the first place. I saw that turd near the base when I was in the Navy and half the people in the theater got up and left right after that scene. The only reason I didn't was because I had a date with me.
heh, No Way Out.....havent seen that one in awhile, but remember it being pretty good with a nice twist ending.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:58 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
heh, No Way Out.....havent seen that one in awhile, but remember it being pretty good with a nice twist ending.
It could have been Citizen Kane and I would have hated it after that storm scene.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:57 PM 03-07-2012
I thought Waterworld sucked pretty badly. I don't care if cost a dollar to make, I just didn't like it. I read The Postman and enjoyed the book well enough. I've been meaning to get around to watching the movie.
[Reply]
pr_capone 11:59 PM 03-07-2012
The Costner movie that I think got unfairly blasted was The Postman. That one I actually liked.
Same here.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:01 AM 03-08-2012
It's fun. I enjoy it. Great sets.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:39 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Satanic Goat:
Great sets.
As i mentioned before, thats the best thing about it. They actually went out to Hawaii, built sets, and filmed on real water. It looks great.

If it were made today, the water and sets would be all CGI and Dennis Hopper would be Motion Captured.
[Reply]
Gonzo 08:08 AM 03-08-2012
If you liked Waterworld, you'll love The Notebook. Basically the same movie.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:27 AM 03-08-2012
The other thing that plays into Waterworld's reputation besides the budget was Costner was supposedly Mr. Dances With Wolves Wunderkind at the time.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:51 AM 03-08-2012
Tin Cup was a solid enough movie; I'll watch it if its on.

The little girl in Waterworld ended up being pretty cute in a Laura Linney sort of way; she fluctuates with her weight, though. She was the girl with the weird ponytail thing in Napoleon Dynamite.

And yes, Jeanne Tripplehorn's ass was fantastic. Then again, I think the best scene in Basic Instinct is the one with her, and not any of the ones with Sharon Stone, so it could just be that I have a crush on Jeanne Tripplehorn...
[Reply]
SnakeXJones 07:35 PM 03-08-2012
I enjoyed Waterworld also Hooper made it interesting with his character but it is what it is a ok movie I bet if a better cast & character development was better im sure it would've been more successful(maybe)..
[Reply]
GordonGekko 10:55 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Gonzo:
If you liked Waterworld, you'll love The Notebook. Basically the same movie.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha.. what?

Put me in the camp that loved Waterworld, but then again I also loved Mortal Kombat and Starship Troopers, they all came out when I was 11, 12 years old, the childhood sweetspot.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 01:20 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by SnakeXJones:
I enjoyed Waterworld also Hooper made it interesting with his character but it is what it is a ok movie I bet if a better cast & character development was better im sure it would've been more successful(maybe)..
A script that made sense would have helped too.

Honestly I'm baffled by you guys. Waterworld insulted my intelligence when was 12 years old.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:59 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
A script that made sense would have helped too.

Honestly I'm baffled by you guys. Waterworld insulted my intelligence when was 12 years old.
Remember, this is the same group that thinks Chris Farley is funnier than Eddie Murphy.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up