ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Media Center>So...I finally watched Waterworld this weekend
keg in kc 03:51 PM 03-07-2012
As far as I recall I'd never seen it. And to be honest I'm not sure why I watched it now. Morbid curiosity maybe. It just happened to be on HBO late and night, and it's been panned so badly I thought it was going to be the worst movie of all time. And I gotta admit that after watching it I'm kind of wondering what all the bad buzz was about. I've seen way, way, way worse movies. I can't remember much from 1995, but I'm wondering if it was one of those dogpile instances, where dumping on it was just the hip thing to do. I'm not saying it's a great flick or anything like that, but it was entertaining enough to keep me watching the whole time. I was expecting much worse than I got. Something historically bad rather than marginal.
[Reply]
lcarus 05:39 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by frazod:
My main problem with it was that it was nothing more than a water-logged rip-off of Road Warrior (which is basically the same reason I hate Avatar). Saw it once. There won't ever be a twice. That goes for Avatar as well.

The Costner movie that I think got unfairly blasted was The Postman. That one I actually liked.
I hated Avatar as well. Seems to me people liked it because of "Oooh!! Look at all the pretty colors!!"
[Reply]
notorious 05:41 PM 03-07-2012
Gotta love a movie that has machine guns, bullets, and running engines that were built hundreds of years in the past.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 06:09 PM 03-07-2012
Wow, so that's finally out on VHS. Sweet!
[Reply]
Braincase 06:30 PM 03-07-2012
It almost broke even in the long run. Not near as big a commercial failure as Heaven's Gate.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:51 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by lcarus:
I hated Avatar as well. Seems to me people liked it because of "Oooh!! Look at all the pretty colors!!"
As I've said many times, the first half hour of avatar was breathtaking. Then the ripped off shitty plot kicked in.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:52 PM 03-07-2012
And part of the horrible reception The Postman got was backlash from Waterworld. If Costner had made Postman first, I don't think it would have gotten bashed the way it did.

Hell, after Waterworld, critics would have hated on Bull Durham.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 06:56 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by notorious:
Gotta love a movie that has machine guns, bullets, and running engines that were built hundreds of years in the past.
That only scratches the surface.

The movie's plot holes are so glaring it makes absolutely no sense at all. When people say "It's not that bad" they must be talking about production values.

Yes, it has nice production value. The sets are great.

The story is a nonsensical mish-mash of plot holes and cliches.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:15 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Braincase:
Not near as big a commercial failure as Heaven's Gate.
heh, has anyone here ever watched the entire 4 hour version? I remember trying to watch it a few years ago and fell asleep.
[Reply]
whoman69 07:15 PM 03-07-2012
I think with Waterworld it was the budget. His next two films didn't help his rep, Postman and Tin Cup. Tried to watch it once, don't think I got through the whole thing. Like the Postman better mostly because of the Will Patton character.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:19 PM 03-07-2012
oh, i almost forgot, theres a longer cut of Waterworld as well. According to IMDB, its 40 additional minutes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114898/alternateversions
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:20 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by whoman69:
I think with Waterworld it was the budget. His next two films didn't help his rep, Postman and Tin Cup. Tried to watch it once, don't think I got through the whole thing. Like the Postman better mostly because of the Will Patton character.
Tin Cup is great. Costner gets a bad rap now, but he was actually really good in his heyday. Heck, i even like Wyatt Earp and The Bodyguard....but never cared much for Robin Hood.
[Reply]
Ultra Peanut 07:32 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Estimated budget = 175 million

Domestic box office gross = 88 million

The film did recoup it's budget in the worldwide market, but domestically it was a huge disaster.
Know what else recouped its budget worldwide? That's right, Hitler THE LAST FUCKING AIRBENDER.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:34 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by lcarus:
I liked avatar because it was (to this point) the most immersive movie I've ever seen. That doesn't mean I think that it's the best or that it's my favorite, but there's not yet been another movie where I was more able to completely lose myself in the presentation. Part of that was visual and technological (I say technological because I don't get the same sense from at home as I did in IMAX 3-D) but part of that was the story. Slam on it all you want for being derivative (and frankly, you could argue that every story is derivative; yes, I've read my hero with 1000 faces - but that's another argument), but the fact that it was recognizable is part of what makes it so extremely easy to relate to.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 07:37 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Braincase:
It almost broke even in the long run. Not near as big a commercial failure as Heaven's Gate.
It actually made a slight profit in the long run on the world market.

The main reason people defend it now is because FX movies with crappy plots that do shitty in the states and triple their budget on the foreign market aren't all that uncommon. There was a lesson to be learned from Waterworld, and it was learned. Movies like 2012 and GI Joe are made more for foreign markets than us in the states. That's where they make all their money.

IF Waterworld was made today it would be marketed more in foreign markets and it would have tripled it's budget and we'd likely have a sequel out there.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:37 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Tin Cup is great. Costner gets a bad rap now, but he was actually really good in his heyday. Heck, i even like Wyatt Earp and The Bodyguard....but never cared much for Robin Hood.
Tin Cup was pretty good. I would have probably really enjoyed it if I didn't despise golf. And I loved Wyatt Earp. Hell, I even liked Robin Hood.

The one movie he did that I truly, utterly hated was No Way Out, and that was primarily because of the ridiculous storm at sea scene where his character abandoned his post in the middle of a storm to rescue a crew member who would have never been on the weather decks during a storm in the first place. I saw that turd near the base when I was in the Navy and half the people in the theater got up and left right after that scene. The only reason I didn't was because I had a date with me.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up